Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Raspy, buzzing exhaust @2500-3000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 05:20 AM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

I have the same sound. Random tech says that there is nothing wrong and they do not do refunds on used parts. They SUCk.
DO NOT BY RANDOM TECH PRODUCTS.........
OR YOUR STUCK WITH THEM....
Old 02-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Zship

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zship
When I tried the Test Pipes with the Borla TD, I had the same raspiness. It obviously is not the test pipes because it is just straight thru tubing. I think when the exhaust gas velocity is increased through the use of a less restrictive exhaust (cats or test pipes), something is making the noise in the exhaust track. As I tried to diagnose where the noise was coming from, it sounded like it was before the test pipes. I am starting to think it might be the O2 sensors. They have a thin metal cage around them that might be rattling with the increase in exhaust gas velocity. Hopefully someone can try plugging up the O2 bung and see if the raspiness is gone. I would try it, but my car is off the road for the winter.
Read my previous post. There is nothing wrong with your cats. Try removing the O2 sensors and see if the buzz goes away. You will get a CEL, but it will go away once you put the O2 sensors back in. Something is causing the buzz. Hopefully someone will figure it out.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Balls

I'm not sure if I have the 'raspiness' that everyone is talking about here... i think i do... but I don't think it's a problem anyhow. I don't know why people think it is. It actually reminds me of a F355. I don't find the sound upleasant or 'ricey'. (this seems to be the term ou jour on this site) I also don't hope that someone will hopefully 'figure it out' or that it is an 'unfortunate side effect'.

Can someone be more clear about what the sound is and why exactly it is not favorable?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:27 AM
KISS

it sounds cheap. Like a four banger honda.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:36 AM
Balls

Thumbs down

Originally posted by KISS
it sounds cheap. Like a four banger honda.
I hope this post isn't representative of everyone else's opinions.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Aloharacing

I recently installed the RT's with the Veilside exhaust. I get massive vibration between 2.5K and 3K in the rear hatch area..

Between 3.5 and 5K, i get the "crackle" or "raspy-ness" that you guys are getting. If i keep it under or over that range, it's fine.

I can live with these side effects for the power gain.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:01 PM
OCG35Coupe

Originally posted by lotus
I had the same set up with Nismo exhaust and had the same problem. It might be the JIC Y but not sure what was causing it so I sold the RT cats.....
Is the raspiness gone now?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:05 AM
maserom

I too had the same horrible sound with my borla/RT cats. They went off the next day. Sounded horrible.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Balls

I can't believe people are actually removing mods because of the sound!!!!! Isn't that what we like to call RICE???? When people mod cars for perceived performance instead of REAL performance???

Can I get a mod to move this thread to the audio/video forums please???

oh.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:22 PM
maserom

When a mod makes a car that sounds tough sound like a 4 cyl honda with a 5in tip, then it is time to make changes. Me personally, don't like tinny, raspy sound of a 4cyl.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Balls

i've never seen a honda with a 5 inch tip.... and uh... that "tinny" sound has nothing to do with being a 4cyl. (much less being a honda!!!)

If you don't like the sound fine.... What you said is more like saying, "I don't like aggressiveness of a chinese person." I'm not saying you're a biggot... just trying to make a point.

In any case, it doesn't mean there is a problem with your car. It's just a personal opinion.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:52 PM
dollar99

Originally posted by maserom
When a mod makes a car that sounds tough sound like a 4 cyl honda with a 5in tip, then it is time to make changes. Me personally, don't like tinny, raspy sound of a 4cyl.
I totally agree with you. I'm embarrased to rev my engine above 3000 when I drive around campus.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:33 PM
BrianLG35C

Originally posted by Z-*****
I'm not sure if I have the 'raspiness' that everyone is talking about here... i think i do... but I don't think it's a problem anyhow. I don't know why people think it is. It actually reminds me of a F355. I don't find the sound upleasant or 'ricey'. (this seems to be the term ou jour on this site) I also don't hope that someone will hopefully 'figure it out' or that it is an 'unfortunate side effect'.

Can someone be more clear about what the sound is and why exactly it is not favorable?
Z-*****,

I sometimes have this same sound. It's happens at different points all the way up to 4K rpms. Not consistant either. It seems to happen in different temps too. More noticeably in cold weather. It's definitely a metallic rattle inside the pipes. Almost like the sound of bad lifters, but obviously muffled inside the pipes. The rattle or tapping sound speeds up as you raise the rpms but totally stops after 4K rpms. But like I said it doesn't happen to me all the time either.

I took it back to the dealer thinking it was a bad install but they showed me underneath there was no rubbing. I took the service guy out and he could hear the same thing. He thought I should call Nismo or RT. But again, it doesn't happen all the time and I'm very happy with the sound otherwise. I hope this describes it a little better.

Last edited by BrianLG35C; 02-28-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:47 AM
Zship

The point is being missed here. Let's not make this a thread about if there is or isn't raspiness. Over a hundred replies in various threads indicate the noise is there. I would like to enjoy my exhaust system choice to the fullest without having some other component cause it to sound like crap for 1K of the RPM band. Why don't we spend our energy trying to figure out what is causing the problem instead of debating whether there is or isn't raspiness.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:01 AM
GamblerZ

If you don't like the sound fine.... What you said is more like saying, "I don't like aggressiveness of a chinese person." I'm not saying you're a biggot... just trying to make a point.
WTF!!! That was a f#@king poor example you gave "to make a point", dumba$$
Old 03-01-2004, 10:15 AM
GamblerZ

Originally posted by Zship
The point is being missed here. Let's not make this a thread about if there is or isn't raspiness. Over a hundred replies in various threads indicate the noise is there. I would like to enjoy my exhaust system choice to the fullest without having some other component cause it to sound like crap for 1K of the RPM band. Why don't we spend our energy trying to figure out what is causing the problem instead of debating whether there is or isn't raspiness.
I recall that the B&B exhaust system was extremely popular with the Z32 crowd. However, there existed a low harmonic drone at highway speeds which for me was unbearable. It actually gave me headaches.

I think the raspiness experienced in the aftermarket 350Z exhausts is merely a matter of harmonics as well, probably induced by the quality of the exhaust and tubing as was the case with the B&B. The hi-flo cats or test pipes with their increased flow may create a resonating frequency within the tubing. I believe someone mentioned that in this thread previously. I agree that an additional resonator would be an alternative to fixing this.

However, I am curious if anyone with the Nismo cams is experiencing this same thing.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Balls

Originally posted by GamblerZ
WTF!!! That was a f#@king poor example you gave "to make a point", dumba$$
I think I'm a good sport most of the time and I'm sorry it wasn't clear, so let me put it to you this way: The guy said all 4cyl's are tinny and raspy. I don't agree with that. My problem wasn't with the man, it was with his statement. Try to remember that 'arguing over the internet' parable.

zship: my point isn't whether it is there or not...
My point is that a modified exhaust should be for performance, not for the way it sounds. I just can't believe people are willing to spend that much money to make their car sound good. But in the end it's just my opinion. If I knew I was going to be called names, I wouldn't have posted. =\
Old 03-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Balls

Originally posted by GamblerZ
I recall that the B&B exhaust system was extremely popular with the Z32 crowd. However, there existed a low harmonic drone at highway speeds which for me was unbearable. It actually gave me headaches.

I think the raspiness experienced in the aftermarket 350Z exhausts is merely a matter of harmonics as well, probably induced by the quality of the exhaust and tubing as was the case with the B&B. The hi-flo cats or test pipes with their increased flow may create a resonating frequency within the tubing. I believe someone mentioned that in this thread previously. I agree that an additional resonator would be an alternative to fixing this.

However, I am curious if anyone with the Nismo cams is experiencing this same thing.

See... I can totally understand the droning issue... but not the raspiness. I guess I just didn't realize how important the sound of an exhaust is to people.....
Old 03-01-2004, 11:08 AM
GamblerZ

See... I can totally understand the droning issue... but not the raspiness. I guess I just didn't realize how important the sound of an exhaust is to people.....
I think the majority of people here think that the noise is irritating to them. I will give you an EXCELLENT example:

I own a '03 ML500. On it I put EBC pads. The stopping power was substantially improved over the OEM pads. However, it came with one problem...they squealed. They didn't squeal a little bit--they squealed so loudly that anyone within 100 meters of my car could hear it. I know because I could see everyone turning their heads as I braked. It was ear piercing. I don't think that is the kind of attention on I want whilst driving. But, let us not forget how good their performance was. Long sotry short, I ditched the EBCs and am running the OEM pads. Like in the car is bearable once more.

Quick Reply: Raspy, buzzing exhaust @2500-3000 rpm