Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Raspy, buzzing exhaust @2500-3000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 08:58 PM
FairladyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The buzzing tinning noise is the aluminum block/heads. There is a huge difference in sound between the LT1's and LS1's.

LT1 is a more muscle car sounding iron block/heads
LS1 aluminum block/heads.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:48 AM
Zship

I think if this were true, you would hear it all of the time. I don't hear it with just the Borla TD. Only when I tried the Test Pipes. I also have a boat with an alloy V8. Doesn't sound a bit different than the same boat with the iron block.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:04 AM
FLY BY Z

Well it is true that when you uncork the exhaust on the all aluminum LS1 it does have this characteristic compared with the LT1.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:20 AM
Zship

Originally posted by KISS
I have another car in storage, that has a v6, high flow cats, cai and a high flow muffler. And the car sounds like a v8. No buzzing. I'm confused on what is causing it. I hope when I install the nismo headers next week, the buzzing will go away.
Kiss,

When you install the Nismo Headers, see if you can find something to plug up the O2 bungs. Take a drive and see if the buzzing goes away. Then come back and screw the O2's back in and see if it returns. You will get a CEL, but it should go away when you hook the O2's back up.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:51 AM
manrey

Guys its resonance, the only way to deal with it is to specifically tune a resonator to cutoff the pitch on the sound. its coming from the engine exhaust valves opening. it just sounds like crap here for some reason between 3k-4k.

probably interesting to see if those who have cams in them are worse or better..
Old 03-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Zship

Originally posted by manrey
Guys its resonance, the only way to deal with it is to specifically tune a resonator to cutoff the pitch on the sound. its coming from the engine exhaust valves opening. it just sounds like crap here for some reason between 3k-4k.

probably interesting to see if those who have cams in them are worse or better..
I guess several different brands of mufflers, resonators, headers, cats and test pipes are all resonating at the same RPM. Not likely. It only happens when cats or test pipes are added and then only between 3K-4K. Are you suggesting the factory used a "tuned" cat? Maybe, But I still think once the exhaust gas velocity increases to a certain point, something is rattling/buzzing/resonating. The only way we are going to know is to eliminate every piece of the exhaust system one by one until we figure it out. Only then can we ask one of the aftermarket guys to try to give us a tuned cat/resonator to deal with the problem.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:44 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Zship
I guess several different brands of mufflers, resonators, headers, cats and test pipes are all resonating at the same RPM. Not likely. It only happens when cats or test pipes are added and then only between 3K-4K. Are you suggesting the factory used a "tuned" cat? Maybe, But I still think once the exhaust gas velocity increases to a certain point, something is rattling/buzzing/resonating. The only way we are going to know is to eliminate every piece of the exhaust system one by one until we figure it out. Only then can we ask one of the aftermarket guys to try to give us a tuned cat/resonator to deal with the problem.
I agree with you, plus the sound is not coming from the engine area, but seems to be coming from under the car.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:10 PM
BrianLG35C

Originally posted by rodH
I agree with you, plus the sound is not coming from the engine area, but seems to be coming from under the car.
I agree the sound is coming from under and rear of my G coupe.

My dealer sat in the back seat as I rowed through the gears to give him a demo of the sound. He heard the buzz between 3500-4000k rpms but couldn't replicate it on the lift. He agreed it's definitely in the rear area. I'm trying to get the Nismo replaced under warranty to see if it's better with a different one.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:05 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BrianLG35C
I agree the sound is coming from under and rear of my G coupe.

My dealer sat in the back seat as I rowed through the gears to give him a demo of the sound. He heard the buzz between 3500-4000k rpms but couldn't replicate it on the lift. He agreed it's definitely in the rear area. I'm trying to get the Nismo replaced under warranty to see if it's better with a different one.
for some reason you don't really here it unless it is under load (ex-rev it with the clutch pressed in, VS accel in 1st gear).
Old 03-11-2004, 05:56 AM
Zship

Mine sounded like it was coming from where the test pipes were. Made the exhaust sound bad enough that I removed the pipes. I really liked the power increase but not enough to put up with the terrible sound.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:47 AM
Zship

Hey Kiss,

Did you ever install your headers?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:31 AM
KISS

Monday, I can't wait!!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:41 AM
mp3car

I have a test pipe on my '92 Maxima SE (still running great!) and it too has a rasp around the same range as you guys seem to be having on the Z. Mine also is only when under a load, like reving or accelerating, holding it steady wont make it do it. It is so annoying and "cheap sounding" that I am tempted to get a cat for it... (don't have the oem anymore). but, you guys are having the same rasp with the high-flow cats... wonder if an OEM replacement (not an actual super $$$ oem one) would fix it...

http://members.***.net/mp3car/1.JPG
http://members.***.net/mp3car/4.JPG
http://members.***.net/mp3car/7.JPG
(both HIDs, sadly quite different color temps)

http://members.***.net/mp3car/10.JPG
http://members.***.net/mp3car/9.JPG
Old 03-20-2004, 06:17 AM
KISS

OH MY GOD THE HEADERS ARE AWESOME!!!! But the rasp is still there! I am stumped at this point. I do not know where it is coming from.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:11 AM
Zship

Kiss,

Did you try it without the O2 Sensors?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:03 AM
KISS

Could not find anything that would plug it up. Not even at the exhaust shop.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Zship

I guess we are going to have to measure the threads and find a plug that will fit. Any volunteers?
Old 03-23-2004, 09:34 AM
3rdpower

Default been dealing with it for a LONG time...

The sound is definitely annoying. It started right when I put the test pipes on. Personally, I modify my Z specifically for speed and power so the sound while annoying is not worth giving up the test pipes for. I would have to agree with all comments around it being centered around baffling. I recall taking off the resonators back when I first go the Z. It exhibited the same type of raspiness (not nearly as loud) when I did that. If I had to guess a special test pipe will need to be manufactured that has some type of baffling in it. The car sounds sweet and then when I get on her she sounds very uncharacteristic at about 3-4k rpm. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the O2 sensors...
Old 03-24-2004, 04:15 AM
Zship

I'll repeat. Every piece in the exhaust has been replaced by people on this board except for the O2 sensors. That means all baffles, pipes, mufflers etc. Until someone actually tries it without the sensors we won't know. Next month when I put my car back on the road, I intend to find out. but that is still several weeks away.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:26 PM
UsafaRice

Default O2 sensor check anyone?

Originally posted by Zship
I'll repeat. Every piece in the exhaust has been replaced by people on this board except for the O2 sensors. That means all baffles, pipes, mufflers etc. Until someone actually tries it without the sensors we won't know. Next month when I put my car back on the road, I intend to find out. but that is still several weeks away.
Any updates on this whole situation? If not, is anyone making resonated test pipes out of Titanium? They have at least one buyer here if they are...

Quick Reply: Raspy, buzzing exhaust @2500-3000 rpm