Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Raspy, buzzing exhaust @2500-3000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Balls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could agree with that example only because of the pain factor. I don't think the raspiness causes anyone any harm. So why should I care? I see your point but I just don't think it applies since the raspiness is a mere annoyance that doesn't really hurt anyone.

It sounds like your objective is to draw a certain kind of attention, as opposed to improving performance. If it is, don't let anyone tell you there's anything wrong with that cause there's a huge anti-rice movement on these forums... it's like the damned red-scare.

If not well I dunno, I guess there's a middle ground somewhere that I just don't see. I just hate making compromises and/or sacrifices.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:03 PM
FLY BY Z

Z-*****, would you buy a really nice television that had unsurpassed video quality by anything on the market if it only let out a high pitched, volume unadjustable squeal instead of any audio? I really doubt it. A television is mainly just a monitor, right? So why would you pass on the video quality just because it has one little negative side effect? Because it is a glaring side effect that detracts from what the product is intended to provide.

It's the same thing with the buziness. Whether it annoys the owner, the passenger, or the guy watching you drive down the street doesn't matter. 99% of the people will agree that it is an annoying sound that is not common to all (less)restricted exhausts. No one should ever be convinced that it's ok to live with something that they never bargained for if they don't want it. These parts we buy cost a lot of money and if someone isn't satisfied because of sound, looks, performance, or whatever, it really should not be your place to change their mind. And it isn't.

Whether it is a TV or a car, products today have more than one purpose. Not everyone bought their Z to outrun other cars. The Z won't outrun a lot of other cars. Not everyone bought an aftermarket exhaust part to find that last HP. Some bought it for the great sound it made. Some wanted it 50/50 - sound/HP and some maybe 90/10. But both sound and performance factor in to everyone's exhaust purchase, even yours. Because if the exhaust you bought sounded like a chipmunk taking a crap, you probably wouldn't have bought it. But your parts fit into your tolerances for minimum power delivery and tone/volume. Who are you to define everyone else's range of tolerance? No one is the same, dude. I can tolerate the small amount of rasp I have now. But I couldn't with previous parts I have had. To each their own.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:38 AM
Zship

GamblerZ,

It might be resonance playing havoc, however something in the system is resonating. I think a little detective work might help us figure out what it is. Usually baffles within the muffler are suspect, however this seems to be coming from in front of the Cats or Test pipes. That's why I thought it might be the O2 sensors. Once my car is back on the road, I am planning to look into it further. I also think the manufacturers spend time tailoring the sound of their exhaust systems because the sound is important along with performance.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:07 AM
KISS

I have another car in storage, that has a v6, high flow cats, cai and a high flow muffler. And the car sounds like a v8. No buzzing. I'm confused on what is causing it. I hope when I install the nismo headers next week, the buzzing will go away.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:59 AM
jeffery

KISS,

I have Nismo headers and mine buzzes as well.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:49 AM
KISS

I'm curious....... Does anyone have a flowmaster type muffler on their car? Do you guys think that a high flow baffled muffler instead of a straight flow, filled muffler would help. I don't like this idea, but what is causing this.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:02 AM
jeffery

rt cats
Old 03-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Zship

That's why I think it might be the O2 sensors. People on the board have replaced every component in the exhaust system from Headers to Mufflers. The part that is always put back in is the sensors. They have a thin metal cage around them that could be vibrating. Maybe not, but until someone pulls them out, we won't know. If it turns out to be the sensors, than we can look at aftermarket for some that don't buzz.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:29 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by Zship
That's why I think it might be the O2 sensors. People on the board have replaced every component in the exhaust system from Headers to Mufflers. The part that is always put back in is the sensors. They have a thin metal cage around them that could be vibrating. Maybe not, but until someone pulls them out, we won't know. If it turns out to be the sensors, than we can look at aftermarket for some that don't buzz.

So why doesn't the stock exhaust buzz at all, even in a muffled way?
Old 03-02-2004, 02:07 PM
jeffery

It's not sensors, it's the rt cats...end of story.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:21 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jeffery
so what is it with the TEst pipes, since there is nothing inside tests pipes to actually rattle????
Old 03-03-2004, 04:21 AM
Zship

Because with the stock exhaust you haven't increased the flow yet. Once you put on test pipes/cats and a free flow muffler, the buzz starts.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:54 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by jeffery
wrong.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:09 AM
FairladyZ

its the 3.5L V-6
Old 03-03-2004, 07:49 AM
jeffery

Guess I should go back and read the thread again, I thought it was only people with rt cats... sorry guys.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:11 AM
ajk4

anyone know where a gasket is available that isn't made of thin sheets of metal? i saw someone mentioned it but I cant find the post again. i've been able to find a single piece soft-metal gasket but they were for headers. i think replacing the gasket with a better one is obviously the solution to the buzzing problem, unless its the metal filter in the cats of course.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:58 AM
KISS

I don't think it's the metal gaskets. I didn't do it with the stock set up, so why would that be the cause now. RT specified that their cats do not cause buzzing.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:19 PM
jeffery

Just took her for a spin, buzzing wasn't too bad today. Does anyone know if it sounds as bad outside of the car as it does in? Just curious...
Old 03-03-2004, 02:02 PM
KISS

It's louder outside. It sounds like your shooting beebies out of the exhaust.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:02 PM
jeffery

I've never let anyone drive my car so I haven't heard it from the outside... maybe that's a good thing. What I don't know wont hurt kinda thing.

Quick Reply: Raspy, buzzing exhaust @2500-3000 rpm