Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

SSR Engineering Intake Manifold Complete! *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 10:56 PM
supra crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump

and does any one know what happend to this manifold is lsd still gonna make it?
It allows you to keep the engine cover and strut brace

Last edited by supra crazy; 06-05-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:58 PM
supra crazy

and this
Attached Thumbnails SSR Engineering Intake Manifold Complete! *Pics*-manifold35.jpg  
Old 06-05-2004, 11:01 PM
supra crazy

Originally posted by supra crazy
and this
Attached Thumbnails SSR Engineering Intake Manifold Complete! *Pics*-manifold11.jpg  
Old 06-06-2004, 12:18 AM
adrianko43

who makes that? they look awesome
Old 06-06-2004, 04:41 AM
12SecZ

The last two was to be LSD's aka Kinetix plenum a Top Secret type design which I really wanted bad but it never was produced that I know of. It was to be forced induction only IIRC.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:46 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Max: I like the look of that one just above that retains the stock strut and engine cover. Do you know anything else about it? HP gains?
Old 06-06-2004, 03:04 PM
12SecZ

I first saw the design here http://www.topsecretjpn.com/topsecretenglish.html

They wouldn't post any numbers or sell just the plenumit is part of their turbo package. LSD was working on one but the demand was higher for his N/A model so he focused on that. I never heard any further after that.

Check out this hood though

http://www.topsecretjpn.com/topsecretjapanese.html
Old 06-07-2004, 03:56 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks
Old 08-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by karlhungus
It will be a pig under 4K, the ECU will try to vary the cam timing but will just be all confused. I would expect the dyno and A/F to be very choppy. Above 4K you should see things smooth out and actually see 15-20 HP gains at redline, but HUGE torque loss down low. This is drapstrip manifold, a tunnelram. Not a streetable mod.
Karlhungus,
I am not questioning your conclusion, you called it correctly, SSR verified this to me over the phone last week, but how did you come to this conclusion? You have a lot of predictions in your post. How did you conclude this by observing the pictures?

I was think of building an intake plenum of my own just for experimentation purposes but before I spend the time and effort I would like to learn as much as possible from others before trying. I want to increase my odds of making a successful mod.

Tony
Old 12-17-2004, 02:52 AM
karlhungus

Originally posted by Hydrazine
Karlhungus,
I am not questioning your conclusion, you called it correctly, SSR verified this to me over the phone last week, but how did you come to this conclusion? You have a lot of predictions in your post. How did you conclude this by observing the pictures?

I was think of building an intake plenum of my own just for experimentation purposes but before I spend the time and effort I would like to learn as much as possible from others before trying. I want to increase my odds of making a successful mod.

Tony

Tony,

Sorry it took so long to reply, I haven't visited this site in a while. Anyway, it is pretty common knowledge that short runners on an intake shift the power curve to the higher RPM band and result in a loss of low end torque. Thats why I called it a dragstrip manifold, since it would only be of benefit at full throttle with a manual transmission or a high stall RPM auto.

People underestimate how complex intake design is. Bigger plenums, shorter/more direct paths for "more air" does not necessarily mean more power. That's why the whole Crawford plenum is a joke too. A couple of guys with a flow bench and a welding torch have not outsmarted the Nissan engineering dept. Static flow through a plenum on a bench does not account for the dynamic pressure waves and harmonics in the intake caused by the intake valves opening/closing 10 times/second. Thats why the whole intake is "tuned" to a particular frequency with the intake trumpets under the upper plenum and a specific tube length. The flow of air into a VQ35 cylinder is not limited by the plenum. The engine only requires about 400 CFM of flow at redline and the stock intake is more than capable of that. The real restriction is getting past the heads and valves.

My advice is to not concentrate on the plenum at all. If you plan on staying N/A, go with the cams, heads, and exhaust (catback with highflow cats or testpipes). Then have technosquare optimize your mix and timing. I dont know if those guys know what they are doing with cam timing, but these are serious mods and you dont want some jokers playing with your code.

I just have a K/N drop-in filter, z-tube, stillen catback, and a UR pulley set on my G35 and they work good together. I dont plan on doing any more to it. My new toy is fast enough. Good luck with your projects.
Attached Thumbnails SSR Engineering Intake Manifold Complete! *Pics*-galaxyblue1.jpg  
Old 12-17-2004, 03:29 AM
ZinMiami

Hey Tony, just being devils advocate here, but how do you account for folks that have put in say a Kinetix or Crawford plenum and then had Dyno's that show legitimate HP & torque improvements?

I do agree right off that I too wonder if it's possible that Nissan could have really messed up the design of the stock plenum so badly. But I also understand that manufacturers are driven by many factors and not necessarily performance or best possible design. Although if they did make everything perfect there would be no aftermarket!

Last edited by ZinMiami; 12-17-2004 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:26 AM
karlhungus

When I first got the Crawford in the mail, I thought it was a cut and paste piece of crap. But I put it on anyway just to verify if the hype and the overall concept was correct. It wasnt. On my car, I showed a 7 HP loss and a BIG 12 TQ loss. I dont have the time or energy right now to seach posts, but I remember others posting here with the same results and then others seeing actual track times worsen after a plenum or CAI install. The ECU is pretty smart and it doesnt like its world being messed with. It is constantly checking air temp, manifold vacuum, flow, knock, throttle position, and god knows what else to determine cam/ignition timing. Change the dynamics of the plenum and things can get kinda messy.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:30 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

karlhungus,

Sorry you had problems. Could you show the dyno charts? Did you make any other changes between dynos? Did you redyno after you removed the plenum to make sure it was the culprit? What did you do with the plenum? We have never seen losses like that due to the plenum addition. I suspect other issues. We have seen little to no gains due to other issues, but those are usually resolved with tuning.

I dont know how to say this without sounding arrogant, but I am gonna anyway. In no way have you given this board enough proof through 21 posts that you are an authoritative figure in R&D, testing, and tuning the 3.5L VQ. You might be, but I dont know. Making blanket statement such as you have does throw up red flags in my mind.

You are right in the intake design is very intricate and particular. I cant stress how much knowledge went into the design. I also cant stress how many times we have questioned a Nissan engineered spec so don’t always assume that Nissan has thought of everything. The plenum is a prime example. Yes the lower intake (w/ runners) was designed very well. We have tried and failed to alter that piece to make power. The upper piece however was compromised due to the marketing dept stressed for the need of a strut bar (Nissan confirmed). Then the penny pinchers decided it would be better to make one plenum for the half million units (RWD VQ35) per year than just giving the Z its own (assumption), thus being used on other infiniti / nissan vehicles.

Any way good luck with the Z and the bike.

Last edited by VandyZ; 12-17-2004 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:02 AM
karlhungus

Sorry if I sounded arrogant. It was early in the morning and I am a grouch about then. All I posted was my experience and opinions. People can take them or leave them.

On the other hand, it's great that there are people that work to improve upon OEM designs, but with the complexity of modern engines, getting any significant gains with N/A mods is getting really tough.

I will try to find the disc with the dyno runs and post them.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:10 AM
SSR Engineering

Hey guys, most of you are anxious on getting those dyno numbers out! Well there's good news we are going to release the dyno numbers next week. At this time we are only going to be advertising this as an F/I related product, until we finish testing it on our N/A car as well.

I will post the dyno charts next week.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Next Week My Azz

Originally posted by SSR Engineering
Hey guys, most of you are anxious on getting those dyno numbers out! Well there's good news we are going to release the dyno numbers next week. At this time we are only going to be advertising this as an F/I related product, until we finish testing it on our N/A car as well.

I will post the dyno charts next week

SSR ENGINEERING

Next week my Azz. Please shut the F*** up about next week.... You've been spewing about "NEXT WEEK" since March 2004. NEXT WEEK is nothing but a bald faced lie.

You already have the graph but wont post it because it looks like In fact, you probably just keep talking about it to get visits to your website.

Just post a bogus graph already and we wont have to keep hearing about NEXT WEEK.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:20 AM
aalzuhair

Originally posted by SSR Engineering

I will post the dyno charts next week.
Is it about next week now... Anyway, post the dyno when you can

Az
Old 12-24-2004, 04:20 AM
dansouliere

Thread started on March 25th 2004 and we are December 24th 2004.

Next week
Old 12-24-2004, 04:36 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SGP has a G35 on there web site that they installed aTT on . It has the coffin plenum on it . It made big numbers when SGP got done tuning it . But dont think it will do much for N/A or a SC car . Short runners on the intake ...from what I unerstand ...dont do well for trq down low . The Kinetix split intake looks more promissing . It also looks like it could use a little cleaning up and smoothing around the edges to make it look better
Old 12-24-2004, 09:11 AM
johanna1

SGP told me it would not be worth it to buy it. They said it would be better to buy a plenum instead. It sounded like he was trying to warn me about something, maybe that it is a waste of metal. I like the kintex one through, but will have to see if it proves to be worth it. APS for now.

Quick Reply: SSR Engineering Intake Manifold Complete! *Pics*