Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rearview mirror rattle noise sucks... HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 08:40 PM
WE350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearview mirror rattle noise sucks... HELP!!

I am at a loss of words over the rearview mirror rattle. It makes my sound system sound like complete a$$. Is there a real fix for this? A TSB or anything? I have supposedly had the thing replaced once, and "tightened" several times by the dealer. I tried wrapping electrical tape around it, helped a little until the tape slipped off due to the heat. Thinking about dissasembling the POS and super gluing the ****er back together. What is it exactly that makes this crunching noise? The buttons inside, the housing or what? I am considering purchasing the compass version, in hopes that it will not have the same flaws ( http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=350Z-RVMIR), but $272 is a little much to take a chance on. I have a compass on my GPS, but am almost willing to pay that much to rid myself of this personal hell. It annoys me extremely, passengers in the car also mention that it sounds shitty. Everytime the dealership fixes one rattle, another one surfaces. I can't stand this ****, cheapens the car.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:36 AM
OP Z

On my car I can stop the rattle if I stick my fingernail in the gap created by the 2 mirror case halves on the right side of the mirror. I attempted to insert a small piece of a paper clip (~0.25 in.) at the same point, but could not get it in place. I guess I need a smaller paper clip. I will try again soon.

I think this will solve the problem. It doesn't even require a long piece of the paper clip. I'm talking about the very tip of my index finger.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:11 PM
WE350Z

My rearview mirror crackles and crunches from all around when I squeeze either the top or bottom of it. I also have gotten three new rattles recently. One is the area right below the A pillar on the drivers side, sounds hollow when you knock on it. Actually appears that the whole area behind the steering wheel on the left side is loose. I'm sure if I mention something to the dealer they will try to fix it and make it worse. I also have a really annoying spring sounding rattle in the driver's side door, funny the dealership just 'fixed' the window from rattling around in that same door. Could it be related? Hmm... Lastly the plastic flaps that the hatch carpet goes over on the right side right by begin the right rear speaker is rattling/knocking like a **** when I go over bumps. I have just over 30K on the car and the quality of the interior is killing me. It's completely apparent after driving in a solid car like a BMW or Mercedes. Nissan ****ed up huge on the interior of the 350Z. Looks great, but it's all fake plastic ****. It literally drives me up the wall. I've literally wrecked the plastic area around the shifter from removing it so many times. I would have paid more for the car if they would have just tightened things up a little better and used less clipped-on plastic pieces. There is a reason why most nice cars have hard rubber, wood, and/or vinyl interiors. It's called SOUND DAMPENING. Plastic does not have this essential quality. It's only going to get worse as the car get's older and goes over more rough terrain. My warranty runs up in less than 5K, and I'm not a happy camper. I was expecting this car to be in a little bit better shape at this point.