Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Redline transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 11:41 AM
zorrocar1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redline transmission fluid

Is there any real difference from what is put in by the factory. ANyone that uses this stuff please let me know what it feels like.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:59 PM
AZ350Z

I use it. It felt smoother, less notchy to me. There was a thread awhile back about this, I think I mixed two different weights of Redline as per the thread.

Do it, you'll feel it.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:43 PM
JisNis

I'm replacing mine with Amsoil.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:07 PM
287HP

A 50/50 Mix of Redline MT-90 and MTL is what I used. Transmission feels less notchy.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Z'd

Originally Posted by JisNis
I'm replacing mine with Amsoil.
There is presently no Amsoil gear lube in the product line with the appropriate ratings for the 6MT in the Z. Only for the rear diff.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:24 AM
JisNis

Originally Posted by Z'd
There is presently no Amsoil gear lube in the product line with the appropriate ratings for the 6MT in the Z. Only for the rear diff.
Here is the link where you said Amsoil did wonders for you. So what happened?

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=amsoil
Old 05-11-2005, 10:30 AM
JisNis

Originally Posted by Z'd
I've read in multiple threads where you said that Amsoil was great for your tranny and diff. Let me know if you have changed ur opinion on the oil. I bought the oil yesterday. Your making me wonder now. Should I change it in for some Royal purple or Redline? Let me know.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Z'd

They changed their product lineup- much to my dismay!!! They used to produce a Series 2000 gear lube which was rated for the tranny but their current product line only has lubes rated for the rear diff. I still have 4 quarts of Series 2000 which I plan to guard closely for eventual change. I had a conversation with an Amsoil engineer back when and he confirmed that the Series 2000 would be excellent for the tranny. Now, the product selection software at Amsoil specifically states that none is available.
No other product, including Redline has universal success, based on previous posts. Some that used Redline experienced shifting problems and moved away. Personally, I do not think you should have to mix 2 different products from a manufacturer to make an acceptable lube.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:31 PM
JisNis

I hear ya. Im gonna double check if what I bought was the Series 2000, I'll let you know if that is it.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:29 AM
tcn75

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone here changed transmission oil yourself ? if so .. please show me how .. thanks !
Old 05-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Z'd

Originally Posted by tcn75
has anyone here changed transmission oil yourself ? if so .. please show me how .. thanks !
You need to borrow a lift or have adequate facilities to jack the car up level. There is a drain plug on bottom of the transmission (you do have a MT, right??) and a fill plug on the right (passenger) side. Loosen the fill plug first. Then remove the drain plug, and replace when drained. You will need a hand pump or other method to pump the new fluid up to the fill plug. Fill until it begins to run our the upper hole and then replace the fill plug. Voila!!
Old 05-17-2005, 06:51 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z'd
You need to borrow a lift or have adequate facilities to jack the car up level. There is a drain plug on bottom of the transmission (you do have a MT, right??) and a fill plug on the right (passenger) side. Loosen the fill plug first. Then remove the drain plug, and replace when drained. You will need a hand pump or other method to pump the new fluid up to the fill plug. Fill until it begins to run our the upper hole and then replace the fill plug. Voila!!
I would add that the plugs require one of those star-shaped torx bits to loosen.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:11 PM
jackwhale

zorrocar1: about two years ago there was a lot of discussion on this site about synthetic transmission oil. Someone called Redline and their tech dept recommended the combination of MTL and MT-90. There was a Redline tech article that talked about striking a balance--being slippery enough to lubricate well and sticky enough to activate the synchros.

I've replaced my transmission lube 5-6 times and have never had any transmission trouble or complaints. It did seem smoother when I first replaced with Redline but not dramatically different--about the same difference as the grounding wires which we all put on our cars. In my experience and from reading posts it seems that ambient temperature makes more of a difference, (and some transmissions seem to have a lot more problems than others).
Old 08-14-2005, 08:34 PM
gdave

Default Amsoil Mtg 75w-90 Api Gl-4

Has anyone tried the new AMSOIL MTG for their 6MT?

apparently came out in June 2005.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtg.aspx
Old 08-15-2005, 09:47 AM
mberthia

Originally Posted by gdave
Has anyone tried the new AMSOIL MTG for their 6MT?

apparently came out in June 2005.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtg.aspx
I ordered and received 4 qtrs of MTG "Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4" as well as 2 qtrs of AGL "SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube".

I intend to change the fluids in the transmission and differential soon. I'll let you know but these oils meet the Nissan specs so they should not be a problem........ right ?
Old 08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Z'd

Originally Posted by mberthia
... but these oils meet the Nissan specs so they should not be a problem........ right ?
Yes- Amsoil has finally reintroduced a product that meets our spec needs since they ceased to offer the Series 2000 gear lube.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:21 PM
gdave

cool ! I'm interested to hear how the Amsoil MTG performs with fast shifting.

I noted that the viscosity readings at 40C and 100C are lower than the Series 2000 75W90 -- close to what you might see for a 75W85:
MTG: http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtg.aspx
Series 2000: http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/amsoil/2k_75w90.htm

are you running factory fill now or ??

Please let us know the results - thx in advance !
Old 08-19-2005, 05:01 AM
mberthia

I changed the oil yesterday in the MT and differential. I replaced with Amsoil synthetic. I can’t say that I enjoy the smell of gear oil. Plus it’s clear and has such a low viscosity that it’s easy to make a mess if you are not careful. It’s too early to say whether it makes a difference while shifting. I changed it in case the oil had degraded from the 6 track days that I attended so far and wanted to make sure I had a good oil for future track days. I’m not necessarily looking for improved shifting, although it would be a plus. Has anyone noticed whether the MT drain plug had a magnet on it? It did not notice any and did the MT first. It’s only when I did the differential that I saw the magnet on that drain plug. I just want to know if there was one on the MT and I missed cleaning it or it was just not there. The differential magnet had quite a bit of metal shavings/powder to clean out.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:24 PM
gdave

thx for sharing !

>> Has anyone noticed whether the MT drain plug had a magnet
>> on it?

I don't recall seeing a magnet myself -- saw no particles there either and I did clean it.

>> It’s too early to say whether it makes a difference while shifting.
>> ... I’m not necessarily looking for improved shifting, although it
>> would be a plus.

Please do check back in and let us know how you find it over time.

thx !
Old 08-30-2005, 01:23 PM
mberthia

Just an update after almost 2 weeks. I had problems with first gear last week were it would not go in without either forcing it or clutching out/in again. This happened when cold and since my drive to work is only 4 miles, almost all of my driving is done with a cold transmission. I did not expect this to change, but it seems better this week. All i can say is that it is shifting about the same as with the stock fluid. I'm fine with that, as I did not believe an improvement would have been noticeable. I just wanted the added protection of a synthetic.

Quick Reply: Redline transmission fluid