Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clear bra repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:03 AM
bokone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear bra repair

During the morning commute a rock took a small chunk out of the clear bra. The gouge is only 1/8" diameter. I certainly prefer this over a chunk out of the plastic. I was wondering if anyone has repaired this material. I was thinking of some liquid/paste that I could spread over the area with my fingertip and that would dry solid. I thought I would try the clear DAP caulk. This is white until dry, then turns clear. Not rubbery silicone. I only want to seal the "wound" so it doesn't peel at this new edge. Any thoughts.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is one of the reasons I am very against clear bra's and see them as gimmics...

the clear bra as you know costs alot... and it actually costs more then a new bumper / paint and install...

you cant fix clear bra's... and you cant remove them...
Old 06-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Major

Default Clear Bra Removal

Actually the clear bra is rather easy to remove. I have had mine for almost 2 years, just park in the sun for awhile and just peel it off at a 45 degree angle, piece of cake. The warmer/hotter it is the less glue you leave on the paint. It took about 10 minutes to remove.

The clear bra does take quite a beating and can get ugly, but you know its the bra and not the paint. When I took off the clear bra the paint looked like new.

Major
Old 06-22-2005, 05:34 AM
SvR350z

+1 on removal of clear bra.
They come off rather easy to be honest. Once they are taken off the paint is new just like major said.
A clear bra is one of the best investments you can make to protect your cars front end. I dont have alot of miles on my car but no rock chips whatsoever nor any bug guys that wont come out.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Camel

Clearbra is far from a gimmick. I've had a few now, and will be buying them again in the future. I would rather have a clearbra take a beating than my paint. I've never understood this line of thinking where you let your car get destroyed then just "repaint" a busted up front-end later. A high-quality clearbra professionally installed will easily last at least as long as 2 or 3 repaints on a chip-prone car like the Z and won't look like hell along the way. I have had several cars in the past get dings on the hood from larger rocks, the clearbra will help to protect from this too. On cars with aluminum hoods, the ding issue becomes even more prevalent. For the record I've never had a clearbra take such a beating as it had to be replaced because it looked bad. In fact, I've never had to replace one at all. I've never had one fade or peel, or turn yellow, etc. On occasion you'll get a small nick if you take a good enough hit, but you typically can't see them. The main thing to remember when buying a clearbra is that not all material is equal. There is a company locally here called "ClearBra" and theirs sucks. I've seen several now in parking lots that were yellow/brown and peeling, etc. Make sure you get the high-quality 3M film if you buy one. I've always used XPel installers in 3 different states and have yet to be disappointed.

If you're worried about the chip in yours, swing by a local installer and have them take a look. I wouldn't try to patch it with anything yourself. I know all the clearbras I've bought come with warrantys from 3M regarding this very thing.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:36 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I agree on the ability to remove just takes a little muscle but then you have perfect paint under it. I have lived with clear bra and no clear bra on the Z and prefer the bra, because even though you can repaint the Z it will still look bad in the mean time.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:31 PM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
this is one of the reasons I am very against clear bra's and see them as gimmics...

the clear bra as you know costs alot... and it actually costs more then a new bumper / paint and install...

Although you cant fix it, They can be removed. I have the clear bra on my car, and had to replace one section. I watched the guys remove it and install a new one Clear bra does cost alot, but its nicer looking on a car then the black bras. Me i wait couple more years to have those section replaced like the hood and bumper bra.

The one i have on my car is not gimmic, it works great. I saw a coke can bonce right off my hood and over my car at 60mph and didnt even make a mark.

Cool thing was when i got my car used i had the dealer add the clear bra on for nothing part of the package
Old 11-16-2005, 02:33 PM
james840a

MC350Z Did you use a Heat gun or did you just peeled it like a sticker?
Could also be the type materail clear bra used.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:38 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by mc350z
between me my bro and my parents we have clear bra on every car we own.

but i tried taking mine off becasue it was turning yellow and look what happend .

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150815

and on the hood the bra came off but the entire adhesvie layer stayed on and it took me almost 3 cans of 3m adhesive remover to get it all off

ill never have clear bra on another car EVER!!!!!!!!!!

WOW that sucks bro........
Old 11-16-2005, 02:48 PM
cessna

yeah it did.

i took the hood piece off because i wanted to put my nismo graphics on my hood and i didnt want it to lay half on the bra and half off. if i had to do it over i would have left it on and just but the graphic on top

but its ok now

i had the bumper repainted
Just a quick question....

If you had to do it again, would you forgo the clear bra system for a re-paint down the line???
Old 11-16-2005, 03:01 PM
cessna

well i got my nismo front bumper a few months back and i decided not to put the bra on it. my OEM bumper had the bra on.

so i guess im gonna go without

thats just my opinion. ive had no promblems with it on any other car

now my C6 had about $600 of the bra and since its black you cant see it turn yellow so im leaving it.

the reason it turned so yellow on my rear bumper is the tire blackner i use on my tires sprayed off on it over time

If your ride did not have it already.... is that a Yea, or a Ney....???
Old 11-16-2005, 03:09 PM
cessna

probably ney. just wait till you get so many chips that you cant stand it anymore and just repaint for a few $

Thanks your confirming what I<ve always thaught!
Cheers,
Lou
Old 11-16-2005, 04:01 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Clear Bras - NOT really worth the $$$!

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance

I agree 100% with that logic. Clear Bras can sustain damage from typical road debris as will your front bumper. After either surface receives these undesired impacts, you will be left with obvious visible results. The bumper is much more cost effective to repair, rather than glued on Clear Bra material.

Why throw away your hard earned money on such expensive gimmicks that are not particularly serviceable nor produce the so-called touted maximum protection?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:19 PM
james840a

Well, sorry that happend to you
In the long run, if i didnt get the dealer to throw in the clear bra in the deal, I dont think i would have gottin it. More cost effective to do touch up paint, but not the spot touch up pen, a more proffitional touch up. When you got your Bumper repaint did you ask for a little for touch up work later on?

Quick Reply: Clear bra repair