Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My Clevis and the Third Gear Grind

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 11:46 AM
CoachZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Clevis and the Third Gear Grind

Yes, that's right, I said "Clevis."

I've had a 3rd gear grind for about 2500 miles, and Nissan decided recently to award me a brand new transmission. They first wanted their engineers to ask me a few questions and try out something on my car.

They brought a new, slightly longer clevis (which seems to connect the clutch pedal to the push rod), about 3 mm longer than the stock one. Once installed, the clutch's throw, stiffness, and friction point were all affected. It's taking a bit of getting used to, but the grind has just about ceased, even with the damaged tranny.

I like the new feel of the clutch pedal. It's stiff but easy to feel -- resistance comes almost immediately, there's virtually no free play -- and seems to complement the short throw of the shifter nicely.

More updates once the new tranny is in next week.

Josh
Old 12-10-2002, 09:27 AM
CoachZ

My grind was mostly at low RPMs, shifting between 3000-4200 RPM. It's starting to happen on downshifts, too, though I rarely do that.

The new tranny goes in today, I should be able to give a review late tomorrow after I pick it up...

Josh
Old 12-10-2002, 10:29 AM
CoachZ

Originally posted by spdn350z
I dropped off my car today and they told me that they wanted to put a new tranny in the vehicle. I told them to keep the car and I want a new car. It is ridiculous that I have to get a new tranny in a car with 2000 miles on it. I called 1-80-NISSAN1 and told them about my situation and that I refuse to accecpt a new tranny in mar car and that I want a new car. I will keep you guys posted and let you know how it goes. Everyone who has this problem should stand up for themselves and not accept greasy mechanics changing our transmissions at such low mileage.

You're actually serious, aren't you?

Nissan is doing exactly what they should be doing when they find flaws with their product -- correcting the flaw. If you bought a house and your roof began to leak during the first rainfall, your builder would fix the roof, not give you a new house.

Get over yourself. That "greasy mechanic" has invested plenty of time, not to mention at least $50k of his own money, in training and tools to make sure that he does your tranny job the right way.

They'd probably fix your tranny without replacing it if they could. You bought a first year model car -- that means, when there's a problem, Nissan would rather pull the part, study it, train on it, and correct it in future models so the problem doesn't surface again.

Josh
Old 12-10-2002, 01:19 PM
jozero

What do you guy's mean by the gear grind?

My gear shifting in the Z is a little strange,
pushing it down or up automatically goes
into the LOWER gear, instead of the higher
one. Is that normal. For example, if I am
in 3rd and I push down in a normal fashion,
it goes into second instead of naturally going
into 4th. I have never driven a standard car
like that.

Thanks for any input

Jot
Old 12-10-2002, 06:11 PM
themyst

That gear grind is problematic... I have it in 3rd and 5th gear.... I should get it checked out. A lot of people have this problem actually.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:29 AM
SnoopyZ

I am curious... what are most dealers doing to fix it? And what should the rest of us tell our dealers to do... esp since Nissan hasn't put out a TSB for this pain in the *** problem...
Old 01-10-2003, 08:10 AM
joeandcarol2

Originally posted by CoachZ
My grind was mostly at low RPMs, shifting between 3000-4200 RPM. It's starting to happen on downshifts, too, though I rarely do that.

The new tranny goes in today, I should be able to give a review late tomorrow after I pick it up...

Josh
You rarely downshift? Why drive a manual then. Downshifting is as important as upshifting. Learn to drive.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:33 AM
bigdog

Default 3rd gear grinding

Well I must commnt that this board is so informative. I have 4200 miles on my z and have been experiancing 3rd gear grinding for about 800 miles. At first I thought it was me, it only happens once and awhile and usually when the car is slightly cold. I for 1 appreciate all the comments regarding this and plan on contacting my dealer this afternoon.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2003, 10:03 AM
papo470

Josh i'm getting my Z in about a week. in case i run into this same problem how should i first go about it? who to contact first and anyone else after that? did you get any resinstance from the dealer..and what did you tell them?
thanks a lot,
Gerardo
Old 01-10-2003, 04:30 PM
SnoopyZ

I am supposed to get my clevis and transmission replaced next week... I hope all goes well
Old 01-11-2003, 08:26 AM
themyst

The dealership that did the warranty work on my car said all they had to do was a clutch adjustment... whatever they did, my grinding has subsided, and i was trying my hardest to make it grind
Old 01-11-2003, 09:57 AM
BrianZ

Default Re: My Clevis and the Third Gear Grind

Originally posted by CoachZ
Yes, that's right, I said "Clevis."

I've had a 3rd gear grind for about 2500 miles, and Nissan decided recently to award me a brand new transmission. They first wanted their engineers to ask me a few questions and try out something on my car.

They brought a new, slightly longer clevis (which seems to connect the clutch pedal to the push rod), about 3 mm longer than the stock one. Once installed, the clutch's throw, stiffness, and friction point were all affected. It's taking a bit of getting used to, but the grind has just about ceased, even with the damaged tranny.

I like the new feel of the clutch pedal. It's stiff but easy to feel -- resistance comes almost immediately, there's virtually no free play -- and seems to complement the short throw of the shifter nicely.

More updates once the new tranny is in next week.

Josh
So is the effect of the new pin just to push clutch plate further out to avoid contact with the flywheel?
Old 01-11-2003, 11:10 AM
articfury
Charter Member #55

My car has recently begun the 3rd gear grind, but only when cold.

Nissan Tech instructed the dealership to order a new tranny and Clevis pin. Man, dem thangs ain't cheap! (~$1100 for tranny, $2400 installed) I am very glad I am not paying for it. The tranny should be here and in by next weekend.

CoachZ-

How's your car doing after the swap? Did they specify any kind of break-in procedure?

themyst-

I think I would push Nissan to replace your tranny. There is likely higher wear on your transmission due to the grinding. They have been replacing everyone else's transmission. It's nice and all that the clutch adjustment made the sound go away, but it didn't get rid of any possible premature damage caused by the issue to begin with. Just my two pennies.

JD