Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Faulty brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005 | 10:46 AM
DaytonaBlueDG03

Default Faulty brakes

So I've been bringing my Z to the same mechanic I always go to to get oil changes, tune ups, etc. I trust this guy, and my family has been going to him for years.

At around 22,000 miles, I noticed that I heard a small squeak during braking. The next day, I brought the car in. Turns out, I needed new pads AND rotors on the front of the car. $400 later it's ready. Naturally, I thought it was strange that the car gave me basically NO WARNING that the brakes were worn, but I sucked it up.

Since then, I've been having my mechanic check the rear brakes with every oil change. The last time (3,200 miles ago), he told me I had about 4,000 miles left on the pads. So I brought the car in for an oil change today (I have 29,200 on the car) and what does he say? I need to resurface the rear rotors. $300.

Apparently, the way the Z's brakes are designed, you can't ever replace the pads without resurfacing the rotors is what I'm told. Does this make any sense? My last car, an Audi A4, I had for 60,000 miles and I only replaced the pads once at 42,000 miles. I never needed new rotors on that car. Does anyone else know what is wrong with my car or is this one of those "owning a sports car is expensive" issues I have to deal with?

Also, I can't take it to my dealer. Smithtown Nissan is the biggest bunch of crooks on the planet so I'm stuck...
Old 10-21-2005 | 02:23 PM
showstoppertk

I pretty much had the same experience you did. at about 22k miles I noticed some squeaking during slow stops, so I ordered some Hawk HPS pads and dropped my car off at my brake shop. they called me later on and said that my front rotors were too far out of spec to resurface so I had to pay for new fronts, but they said the rear were still ok and so they were able to resurface those. I would imagine that the stock rotors are either really thin or that stock pads give very little warning prior to grinding metal. either way on my next brake change I plan on getting the brake upgrade kit from performance nissan (via jason) which comes with slotted stoptech rotors, hawk hps pads, braided steel lines and motul fluids.
Old 10-24-2005 | 05:47 AM
DaytonaBlueDG03

Over the weekend I bumped into a Nissan mechanic at a bar. He told me that every Nissan, including Z's without Brembos, have undersized low quality brakes. He advised me to at least get Hawk Pads and upgrade the next time I need to resurface (probably at 45k for me. Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-15-2006 | 06:35 PM
zwoman

Has anyone experienced their brakes having a mind of their own? I have a track w/brembo brakes. On curvy roads with vdc on or off at approx. 50 to 55 mph the brakes grind and try to slow down the car, w/o touching the brake pedal? If anyone can give me some insight I would appreciate it.
Old 06-17-2006 | 10:08 AM
Cannysage

scary, I have the same problem as this almost 22k on the nose and all of a sudden.. something's grinding... taking it to the dealer now.
Old 06-18-2006 | 07:09 PM
james840a

I changed my front about 5k miles ago, will be doing my rears tomorrow after work since they are sqeaking. I do a visual inspection every couple months. I did one last weekend on my rears, and they still have pads left on them, i even compair they with my Hawk pads.

I make a habbit to inspect my brake pads, and not realy on the sqeak.
Old 06-18-2006 | 11:08 PM
jondimellow

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
First --Be honest with urself and take a hard look at ur braking habits ---Everyone in the world thinks they are the perfect driver --- But most premature brake jobs I do are caused by overbraking---I take a ride with them and WATCH them do it!!!!--Ur front brakes do 75% of the work. Overbraking also causes over heating -Hence warped rotors. Be carefull u DONT over torque ur rims --THAT causes warpage. Quality pads are a big plus. 300.00 for turned rears ??? Last set I had turned were 20 Bucks. I just did the first brake job on mine and I got 45,000 miles. I never do a brake job with out at least breakin the glaze on the rotor ---That way u get a good seat AND take out high spots (Warpage) And Grinding simply means uv trashed ut pads 99% of the time---Generally will take a rotor with it .

And Daytona ---always find a good independent shop---The dealer will generally stroke ya
why does over torquing cause warped rotors?
Old 06-19-2006 | 09:16 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

You don't necessarily HAVE to replace the rotors every time you change the pads. You should check the thickness of the rotors using calipers and inspect their condition. It's something that's easy to see if you just take the wheels off. I say you do it yourself (not hard) and don't listen to everything your mechanic tells you.
Old 06-19-2006 | 10:49 AM
james840a

Yeah, i wouldnt put the wheeels on with a air gun. Make sure they are torque wrenched on. I always use a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts. I even make the dealer use a torque wrench.
Old 06-19-2006 | 03:44 PM
Th3Cleaner

I drove my car 5K miles before the rotors on all 4 were gone, I don't ride the brakes, I was tought very early on how to drive stick.

But I did alot of mountain driving, hitting the pads hard and often, so yes alot of wear. What I thought strange is how easy these items wore out, should they wear out so fast? who knows, anyway I took them in for re-surface, that screwed them up and were out of spec, I put on new fronts my self "hawks" w/EBC Rotors (I think). I took the car into Nissan, one shop said no warranty on the rotors, another said ya np, they replaced the rears and I was happy. Now at 37K I am hearing a what you guys are talking about, squel on the fronts when coming to a stop "slowly".. I better fix
Old 10-07-2006 | 02:09 PM
pomplun

almost 22k and all of the sudden a weird grinding noise and bad squeking - going to dealership Monday
Old 10-22-2006 | 12:20 PM
"Z-Rated"

I have an 04 base with 28k miles. I replaced my front brakes due t a lot of brake dust. I switched from nissan to performace friction carbon metallics at 26k and a lot better. Now at 28k my ABS motor comes on all the time. At least 40 times a day and I can feel it in the brake pedal at around 15 mph. I took it to dealership they stated that I needed front rotors with my last front brake job. He told me that the Z rotors were to be replaced everytime you do a front brake job. This was news to me! I have an expedition and have changed the rotors once in 116k. He said it was an issue with all Z models. So I get a brake job done for $400. Still doesnt fix the problem with the ABS motor. They cant figure it out after two full days in the shop and have a regional mechanic coming in to try and fix. So I have definately been told the same as you are. I simply thought it was the price of owning a performace car.
Old 10-22-2006 | 02:12 PM
CEO350Z
That's bad juju
Premier Member

what should the torque / poundage for the lug nuts be? i've always wondered.
Old 10-22-2006 | 02:16 PM
Eazzy

I run a 100 but supposed to be 85 -90
Old 10-22-2006 | 09:31 PM
mikeg8r

Originally Posted by CEO350Z
what should the torque / poundage for the lug nuts be? i've always wondered.
The spec for the stock '05 bolts and lugs are 80 ft-lbs.
Old 10-23-2006 | 01:17 PM
dbpoet

I had my fronts replaced at 30K. No problems with the rotors. I haven't had to replace the rears yet at 41K.