Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 PM
orionflyer20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have replied to this post a few times and have had the same experience just like everyone else. I have a '04 ZR that made it almost 35K on the OEM Potenzas. My solution was just like what DavidV stated. I removed all of the camber from the front. However, I decided to have the camber set to 0.0. I know there are a many proponents out there who disagree with setting 0 camber on a sportscar, but I do not drive the car to race or excessively. Mine is for comfort.

Since the change, I have experienced no feathering and the tires seem to be wearing completly even (10K later). SO is this the solution? I am not sure, but it definately helps. Otherwise, you can always replace the suspension, but the cost of new tires is enough for me. FYI, I went with Kumhos, and love them.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 PM
seal_guyz

I solved this on my 2003 Z. New Camber Kit and Sumitomo tires. These tires have been great! they are not specific for direction and just do not require mount/unmount.

I used a kinetics camber kit for the rear and a EVO kit for the front. no more feathering.

$400 for tires/ $700 EVO/ $100 Kinetics

then the install and alignement - DO NOT ALIGN TO FACTORY SETTING - the EVOs are quick adjust so if you want performance is a very quick adjustment.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:35 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by orionflyer20
I have replied to this post a few times and have had the same experience just like everyone else. I have a '04 ZR that made it almost 35K on the OEM Potenzas. My solution was just like what DavidV stated. I removed all of the camber from the front. However, I decided to have the camber set to 0.0. I know there are a many proponents out there who disagree with setting 0 camber on a sportscar, but I do not drive the car to race or excessively. Mine is for comfort.

Since the change, I have experienced no feathering and the tires seem to be wearing completly even (10K later). SO is this the solution? I am not sure, but it definately helps. Otherwise, you can always replace the suspension, but the cost of new tires is enough for me. FYI, I went with Kumhos, and love them.
I put MORE camber on my front end and set the toe to zero. With that config I was able to get a lot more mileage out of a front set of tires and no feathering. Actually, I've not had the feathering problem since I've been getting regular alignments done, so I doubt the camber has anything to do with it since that has only been in effect for the past two years.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:49 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

In for results!! I have an 08 and my tires look like firedancers in the front... just put Hankooks in the back but there was no abnormal wear on those....

Last edited by NoQuestionZ; 11-10-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 PM
laser-g

so 0 camber and 0 toe is the fix? or a close solution?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:26 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by laser-g
so 0 camber and 0 toe is the fix? or a close solution?
Doubt it. Do a little Susoenesion 101 research. You will discover the relationship between handling and alignment.

Also when we talk about alignment such as 1 degree of negative camber, this is an oversimplification of tire position. It is static alignment. The vehicle is pointed straight and not moving.

The entire suspension changes once the car is moving. Dynamic alignment is a racing science.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 AM
firedancer

I understand that everyone will have a different opinion on this, but I am getting new tires installed on Monday and the installer will do a 4 wheel alignment too. I'm taking it to a place that specializes in doing installations and alignments on sports cars, so they will align it to whatever specs I tell them to do.

So on a completely stock 06 setup with brand new tires, what would be the best recommendation for alignment settings to maximize both handling and getting the "best" tire wear? I realize that it's a compromise between one or the other, but is there a setting that some of you guru's would recommend?

I should also add that I drive my car "spiritedly" (is that a word?!), but I do not track the car or abuse it (no more so than it was intended to be driven). Also, the tires I'm getting are Continental ExtremeContact DW's in stock sizes.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by firedancer; 11-11-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:47 AM
laser-g

^^you have to read all post you will find the answere you seek. lol
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM
firedancer

Originally Posted by laser-g
^^you have to read all post you will find the answere you seek. lol
...thanks....

haha

I was kinda hoping for a summary from someone who actually KNOWS, not a bunch of mixed opinions. But then again, everyone think they're an expert, right?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by firedancer
I understand that everyone will have a different opinion on this, but I am getting new tires installed on Monday and the installer will do a 4 wheel alignment too. I'm taking it to a place that specializes in doing installations and alignments on sports cars, so they will align it to whatever specs I tell them to do.

So on a completely stock 06 setup with brand new tires, what would be the best recommendation for alignment settings to maximize both handling and getting the "best" tire wear? I realize that it's a compromise between one or the other, but is there a setting that some of you guru's would recommend?

I should also add that I drive my car "spiritedly" (is that a word?!), but I do not track the car or abuse it (no more so than it was intended to be driven). Also, the tires I'm getting are Continental ExtremeContact DW's in stock sizes.

Thanks in advance for your help.
THe expert is Nissan. OEM specs will suit your needs.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:05 PM
firedancer

So I got my new tires put on and the car aligned. Turns out the front alignment wasn't too bad, but the rear was WAY off. Here's the graph:

I gotta say, I'm LOVING the new tires! No more tire roar! Yay!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:19 PM
jasongME

How is the side wall flex? I tried the DWS, and noticed they only had 1 ply polyester sidewall. Which, corresponds well with the excessive amount of flex I experienced. I ended up deciding to give the Hankook V12's a try.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 PM
firedancer

I haven't even driven 24 hours on them yet, but here's what I know. The grip is amazing compared to what I was on before (stock potenza re050A's). Cornering does seem to be a BIT softer, but it doesn't really affect performance. I think I'm going to bump up the psi in them to make them a little stiffer to counteract the thin sidewalls. I haven't had a chance to try them out in the wet though, but I'm sure they will do great. The best part is that they are super quiet, especially for summer tires. It's like I can actually hear my exhaust now and have a conversation while driving without having to yell over the tire road noise.

One of the things that made me decide on these tires as well is that they are lightweight - about 6 pounds lighter per tire then most others, which translates to less unsprung weight at the corners, which really helps with handling and performance. But there's still a LOT of meat on the treads, so I hope they will last quite a while. I'm happy with them overall.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:52 AM
mf01

Originally Posted by firedancer
So I got my new tires put on and the car aligned. Turns out the front alignment wasn't too bad, but the rear was WAY off. Here's the graph:

I gotta say, I'm LOVING the new tires! No more tire roar! Yay!!!
Where did you get the alignment done? I'm going to have to get new tires and alignment soon. I'm over 40,000 miles on Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. The fronts are still good, but rears are getting worn. These tires have good traction, but there's a lot of road noise.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 AM
firedancer

Originally Posted by mf01
Where did you get the alignment done? I'm going to have to get new tires and alignment soon. I'm over 40,000 miles on Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. The fronts are still good, but rears are getting worn. These tires have good traction, but there's a lot of road noise.
Soulspeed here in Austin.

www.soulspeed.com

AWESOME guys to work with and they know their stuff. They specialize in performance cars, so they are no stranger to Z's. They use the best equipment and they will not scratch up your rims, etc. They cost just slightly more than what, say, discount tire would charge (for tire installation), and a 4 wheel alignment was $109 if I remember correctly. I can't say enough good things about them, you won't be disappointed. They are even open until 7pm, which is a plus if you have an 8-5 job. Best choice is to call them and schedule a time to get stuff done instead of dropping by, as they book up fast and it's just a small shop with a couple of guys working.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:10 PM
jasongME

FYI the dealer charges around $60.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:30 PM
mf01

Originally Posted by jasongME
FYI the dealer charges around $60.
For the alignment? My dealer didn't do the alignment onsite when under warranty. I think they took it to NTB.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:37 PM
jasongME

I wouldn't be surprised if they told me incorrectly. Last week they quoted me $40 for a TPMS sensor (new sensor + programming), then I went and was told $115 for just the sensor.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:09 PM
350zx6r

thats how much I paid for mine OTD was about 200 for sensor + install
Old 11-18-2010, 01:51 PM
jasongME

I just got the Hankook Ventus v12 installed moments ago. The tire shop was only a mile away from my apartment, so I was not able to get a feel for the tires yet. But HOLY CRAP, I had no idea how loud my RE040's with feathering were. For a few moments I wasn't sure I was even moving, it is insane!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI