Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Mobil 1 - good stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003 | 09:22 AM
mwaller

Default Mobil 1 - good stuff!

Yesterday I had my 2nd oil change. I decided to switch over to Mobil 1 5W30. It has made a noticeable difference in fuel economy (1-3MPG average), and the engine runs much more willingly when cold. Excellent stuff, in my opinion. I'm hoping synthetic gear oil will work similar wonders in my transmission, which can be quite cantakerous when cold.
Mika
Old 01-10-2003 | 10:17 AM
veilside z

Always worked wonders on my previous Porsches, but there is talk that Nissan USA have said that they cannot endorse it for the Z!

Do a search on synthetic & I'm sure you'll find the thread.

Most probably their tests were running dino-sludge & it's just covering their backs
Old 01-10-2003 | 10:24 AM
mwaller

Yeah, I've given up trying to get useful technical info from Nissan about this car. Even the service managers are clueless... I'm just going to have to make my own judgements and hope that no serious mechanical problems arise... as it is, I'm kinda unhappy about the shifting feel, but the dealers claim this is "normal." I'm really concerned that the notchiness will eventually wear the synchros out at, oh, probably 51K miles... Then, there will be one EXPENSIVE repair bill, since Nissan treats the tranny as a non-serviceable item (they don't make it, so they don't service it)
Mika
Old 01-10-2003 | 11:08 AM
veilside z

OK - look at this way...

50,000 miles of enjoyment

& that gives you time to save up for the repair, or replacement
Old 01-10-2003 | 07:38 PM
BrianZ

There's also the extended warranties. They'll haggle on the price. I think they go up to 7 years & 100k for about $800.
Old 01-11-2003 | 04:13 AM
hwj

Default mobil 1

I also have used Mobil 1 from 15w-50 to 5w-30 in every car and truck I've owned for over 15 years along with the manufacturer's oem/stock oil filters. To date I've never had any oil related engine problems.

I'm interested in what you've learned about a synthetic gear oil for the diff and trans because I just recently posted a question about my 6spd's 2nd to 3rd upshift grinding when the gear oil is cold. Do you also have this similar problem? My dealer says nobody here in SE Pennsylvania has complained so far, and Nissan hasn't issued a TSB to date.

Thanks to all.
Old 01-23-2003 | 01:58 PM
MiataDon

I have over 215,000 on my 1990 Mazda Miata. I started using Mobil 1 synthetic oil at 27,000 miles. My car runs like new, and visits the redline frequently! It's great stuff!
Old 01-23-2003 | 02:24 PM
350z_jedi

While we're on the Mobil 1 topic................Again........... I'm coming up on 3000 miles and it's almost time for an oil change. It is ok to switch to Mobil 1 this early (3000 miles) ??
Old 01-23-2003 | 03:27 PM
mwaller

You should be fine. I switched around 4800. Noticed a difference instantly.
Mika
Old 01-23-2003 | 05:22 PM
saccorator

I posted a response from Nissan regarding synthetic oil a month or so ago where Nissan stated this:

Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the
opportunity to be of assistance.

Nissan recommends mineral based oils. We do not recommend synthetic oils due
to possible engine damage.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to e-mail
us.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX
National Consumer Affairs

There has been some debate about this, but no clear answer why it was not recommended and what the implications would be for using synthetic. My guess is that Nissan wouldn't cover repairs under warranty if there was an enine related problem. Please post if you have heard anything more about this.
Old 01-23-2003 | 06:06 PM
uro279

Originally posted by saccorator
I posted a response from Nissan regarding synthetic oil a month or so ago where Nissan stated this:

Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the
opportunity to be of assistance.

Nissan recommends mineral based oils. We do not recommend synthetic oils due
to possible engine damage.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to e-mail
us.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX
National Consumer Affairs

There has been some debate about this, but no clear answer why it was not recommended and what the implications would be for using synthetic. My guess is that Nissan wouldn't cover repairs under warranty if there was an enine related problem. Please post if you have heard anything more about this.

You know, I remember when you first posted this. If I am not mistaken, somebody else had emailed Nissan and got a different response than yours. Nothing was mentioned about engine damage.

My suggestion is have it placed by your dealer. My understanding is if they are willing to do it, it should be covered by Nissan as they were willing to do so.

I am 600mi away from 3K and at that time I will place Mobile 1 in my engine and Motul600 in my brakes-done all by the dealer.
Old 01-24-2003 | 09:09 AM
mrZ

sounds like a typical corporate answer. they don't want to take an responsibility for anything going wrong and potentially being linked to oil. they go strictly by the book. nissan uses mineral oils and that's what they will recomend. mobil one is great stuff and sure as hell would not damage your engine. i'm switching at 1200 miles. 1000 to go.....
Old 01-25-2003 | 03:44 PM
hwj

To me it seems that Nissan is doing a CYA. Mobil 1 is certified by the API through service code SL/CF. Nissan buys their oil in bulk like any other manufacturer, there's nothing special about what they ship in the crankcase over the high seas to get the Zs here.

Additionally, I'd be curious to see what a dealer charges for their 10w-30 per quart at the parts counter.

I would just make sure that a Nissan oil filter is attached to the car, not an aftermarket one. That way Nissan can't complain or make you eat an oil related warranty repair.

See Consumer Reports July 1996 for a report on oil and changes. It's very enlightening.
Old 01-26-2003 | 02:14 PM
donoharm

Got a stupid question and wondering if anybody could help.
I will definitely be switching to Mobil 1 for sure on my next oil change. But how do I make sure that Mobil 1 is indeed applied to my car, since the service area at my dealership is not accessible to us?
Old 01-26-2003 | 07:37 PM
glkracer

Generally with synthetics, they recommend not using it until 7500-8000 miles so the engine will breakin properly. Since the synthetics have such a high film strength, which minimize surface contact, synthetics are terrible for breakin.
Old 01-26-2003 | 08:18 PM
phreezee

Originally posted by donoharm
I will definitely be switching to Mobil 1 for sure on my next oil change. But how do I make sure that Mobil 1 is indeed applied to my car, since the service area at my dealership is not accessible to us?
This actually happens at a lot of seedy garages, mechanics will take your Mobil home and but the bulk stuff in your car! Changing oil is easy and you can do it yourself. Luckily I know the mechanic at my dealership, so I have no worries.
Old 02-15-2003 | 08:26 AM
BillyV

I just got back from a brand new Nissan dealership in town. I took my Z in for its first oil change-929 miles. I made the switch to Mobil 1 as I have always done with all of my cars, most of which have been Nissans. I have never, ever(knock on wood) had any engine problems. I buy my Mobil 1 at Costco and take it in with me. Service there was great. It was even free as they were giving away 100 free oil changes to the first 100 custmers. No concerns about them switching out my oil as they offered to let me watch. The techs were great. They will do all of my changes as long as I have this car. ...
The Mobil 1 will get changed out again @ about the 2000 mile mark, to remove any residual dino oil from the system. In small amounts there is no compatibility issue. After that I change my Mobil 1 at 3000 intervals. yes, it's overkill but for a small price it's worth it to me....
Old 02-15-2003 | 08:48 AM
zmadnez

Originally posted by donoharm
Ask for the empty bottles back may minimize the possibility of mechanics switching oils.

Also, check your oil after the change for a subtle difference in texture and smell between synthetic and dino.

Changed to Mobile 1 (5w30) at 1220 miles and it runs GREAT!!!
Old 02-17-2003 | 03:29 PM
Z'd

I'm for synthetic- although having used both Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec, I have to say I prefer the Castrol. I am planning to move to synthetic at 2000 miles- anyone have a bad experience or is the Nissan reply bs??
Another related question- I am a DIY'r. Anyone changed their own oil and if so, how tough is it to work with the underbody shields which cover most of the engine??
Old 02-17-2003 | 04:34 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic
Premier Member

I just changed mine (well, not quite, getting ready to go get another quart, as I didn't have as much as I thought at the house).

I didn't even jack the car up. I put two 2x4 pieces long ways in front of the front tires, drove the car up on them. From there, I could reach in and remove the shield and change the oil, although it was a bit tight getting the drain plug free over the drain pan, but I just broke it free and slid the pan in under.

I just wanted to see if I could do it without the hassle of jacking it up, and you can. It would be even easier if you ran it up on 2x4s followed by a couple of 4x4s to give it slightly more clearance.

The shield is kind of a pain, but not hard to do. More of an annoyance than anything. Makes me want to get an air compressor even more. Probably will pick one up soon

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 - good stuff!