Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Whats eating my battery?? Help Diagnose.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:05 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Whats eating my battery?? Help Diagnose.

Short : With the car off, everything turned off, I hear a click- 2 sec- click thing comming from behind the center console. If the car was running I would think is the A/C compressor or some solenoid of that kind. Anybody know of anything on the 350Z that can be clicking on---off in a cycle when the car is OFF?

Long story : I usually drive my car every day. A few weeks ago it went two days without running, I went out, the battery was dead. Hummm... Since it was the original OEM battery, it has gotten cooler lately, etc, I decided maybe it was a weak battery, so I bought a new Sears Die Hard. 2 days later, no battery.

Charged and started running regularly, the car seemed ok. Last thursday (5AM) the alarm (Viper 790XV, has been in the car for 3 years) started giving me shock sensor warnings, you know, quick beeps and flashes. I checked and nothing, but kept doing it. So I armed it with "ignore other zones", next morning, no battery.

I charged the battery but left the ground post off (XMas holiday, nowhere to take it). This AM I stopped by the alarm place to have them disconnect the alarm while I figure out what is wrong. But now (alarm CPU unplugged from harness), I hear a click-----click from behind the center console. Seems like some solenoid testing or something. And even when the car is off. This is with the car ignition OFF. No A/C, Not even lights (dome light OFF).

What else could it be??? Audio is all stock, only electrical mods are alarm (790XV installed 3 years ago), eManage next to ECU (should be off when car is off, right?). I had the alarm disconnected for now anyway just to isolate the issue.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:27 PM
slaponte

Had the Viper disconnected. Drove around a couple of days. First time I left it 24 hrs without use : dead battery.

So next : we visit Nissan.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:33 PM
03znj
Know it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same exact problem with the same exact alarm, i would say its the alarm because it started to happen to me after i installed the alarm
Old 01-02-2006, 05:17 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Start pulling fuses until it stops, that may help you isolate it.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:22 AM
cessna

I'm having the same problem with my G.....

Tried the fuses, and everything else, (Short of disconnecting the bat terminals at night)
Old 01-02-2006, 08:17 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If pulling fuses didn't work, then it probably something on a fusible link (i.e. one of the main power supplies).
Old 01-02-2006, 08:37 AM
cessna

So in layman terms "Go to the dealership"????
Old 01-02-2006, 07:31 PM
slaponte

Went to Nissan today. Viper is disconnected. After a few hours they stated : nothing is wrong. No drain perceived, everything seems ok.

I asked them to keep the car overnight just to make sure. The last time with the Viper disconnected it drained in 24 hrs, so I thought I had eliminated the Viper off the list.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:49 AM
slaponte

Well, they found it.

Problem : short on wiring causing the power seat to constantly activate.

New issue : they don't want to cover this under warranty ($350, it took them a few hours to find) because the claim I have electrical mods (Viper, eManage). WTF do they have to do with the electrical seats?? Nothing that I know off. The Viper was installed 3 years ago, the seats have been fine since, the eManage was installed 1 week after I started having the probs, and I have receipts and proof of that.

So, opened a complaint with Nissan, see if that helps any.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:07 PM
ANXIOUZ

Thanks for the update.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:20 PM
rjaffa

Exclamation help - may have same problem

---- I have been trying to trace a similar problem for the past month - I have a 2003 Touring Automatic - no mods - the battery has been going dead at irregular intervals with not discernable pattern. Battery always tested good with a load tester, but after getting fed up decided to change the battery and found that it was leaking - so I figured problem solved - wrong - three days later - weak battery, not enough to crank. My car is driven every day, sometimes no more then 10 miles, but everyday none the less - If you have any details on the your seat heater problem (which seat, was the problem at the switch, in the seat, in the wiring, etc) it would be greatly appreciated - I may be grasping at straws, but have not been able to come up with anything else. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:00 PM
03znj
Know it all

i got the same prob
Old 02-16-2006, 07:13 PM
ANXIOUZ

If you got a new battery and it's still dying then take it to the dealer. There's gotta be something wrong and it could be serious.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:10 AM
rjaffa

Default tried that

took it to the dealer first - it sat for three days and they could not find any problems - plus i am out of warranty - much to my surprise, they did not charge me - but cound not find anything - this appears to be intermettent

Last edited by rjaffa; 02-17-2006 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:46 AM
slaponte

After a nasty letter to Nissan and the dealer, they called me to further explain. They claim that the problem was "foreign material on the power seat switch", like I spilled coffee or something on the button. Since it was not a switch malfunction, it would not be covered by the warranty.

Still, 3.5 hrs to find a malfunctioning switch and $379 to change a switch seems like too much... As somebody stated before, pull the fuse and see if the problem goes away. You can start with the power seats one.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:24 PM
rjaffa

Thanks for the quick response - I wil certainly check my seat switches - but now a new wrinkle has developed - the overhead interior lights have stopped working completly - I will be taking a look at the fuses, etc for them tomorrow...