Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Transmission noise and another issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:56 PM
mjmaltese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission noise and another issue

I've put roughly 250 miles on the car (for a total of about 350) and I've noticed a couple things. First, geartrain noise seems to be excessive, particularly in 1st gear and pretty much disappearing by 4th. It's kind of a loose growling noise, and my first thought is a bad input shaft bearing. Are there any known issues with this, or is the noise normal? I didn't notice this on any of the cars I test drove. Then again, with salesmen yapping in my ear and them playing with the radio and climate control, I suppose I could have missed it...but it's not likely.

The second issue is what feels like a broken motor mount. This one is a little harder to describe. Sometimes when starting off, there's a strange noise that's almost impossible to describe. I've heard cars make it, usually if they're about to stall...only it's nowhere near stalling. The other indicator is that I can be cruising at low speed (5 mph or so, like up to my parking space at home) in first and depressing the clutch pedal as I come to a stop. It basically feels like the engine is unloading as would normally happen, but that there is excessive back and forth movement with associated noise. It can do this in other gears, like 2nd or 3rd when coming to a stop on the road, but it's more pronounced in the scenario described above. Engine speed is around 1500 RPM at disengagement, certainly high enough to not be the culprit here I would think (i.e., no bucking). I definitely would have noticed this on the 5 or 6 different cars I test drove. Has anyone had any issues with motor mounts or at least know what I'm talking about? I'm not driving the car particularly hard, and no hard launches, that's for sure. Quite to the contrary as a matter of fact - I'm trying to break it in nice and easy. I just can't believe that this one is normal.

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out whether or not I need to take it back to the dealership after only three full days of ownership. It was a dealer transfer and had 97 miles on it when I picked it up...who knows what some lot porter or test driver may have done to it...

Last edited by mjmaltese; 02-13-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:53 AM
Tenac1ousZ

Hi and welcome.

Most of the concerns you are describing with your '06 are normal -- the slight drive train jerk at low rpm, loud tranny noise from 1st - 4th, clunky 1st > 2nd gear shift when cold, rattling noise from the tranny when turning off the car without pressing in the clutch, and so on. Seems like those are pretty common characteristics of the Z.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:28 PM
zpennies

Second that! My Z has made these noices from day 1. Ahhh the joys of owning a sports car!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Krazeeejatt

I was just about to post the same problem. I noticed my tranny makes a weird rattling noise when the clutch is not engaged. So this is normal? I was about to call the dealer and have it checked. I also noticed a weird low bass sounding boom when i hit the clutch and shift. It only happens sometimes. Is this normal as well??
Old 02-03-2006, 02:26 PM
ricks350z

i have an 06 ent..i dont have those issues (crossing fingers)..only issue was the clutch pedal..

i feel ya pain..........