Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 10:33 AM
kardan350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall

Had mine done when they replaced my tranny last month.
No big deal...Everyone should do it for the sake of safety. I asked the mechanic while he was working on it if it really needed to be done. He sais "Yes...in another 9-15 months it would prob. crack and start leaking".
Old 03-26-2006, 10:42 PM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by red350zguy
To the Mods, I am sorry for name calling, but as far as I am concerned if a person does not do this recall, and takes the risk of causing someone to lose thier life, then that person is an irresponsable assh*le.
your car isn't going to catch on fire and kill people; you'd know you have a problem years before it set ablaze (unless you took a torch directly to it...........)
Old 03-27-2006, 03:41 AM
red350zguy
Banned

Not according to Nissan, you can have a crack in the hose and be leaking flumes and not know you have a problem, at least that's what they said.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:57 AM
gixracer

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
your car isn't going to catch on fire and kill people; you'd know you have a problem years before it set ablaze (unless you took a torch directly to it...........)

wow and you have seen the cracks in the tubes?
i guess if gasoline is pouring over your hot exhaust it won't cath on fire. nextime you come up to michigan i can show you a demonstration of how easly a hot exhaust pipe will light up gasoline. enjoy your time in the burn unit and thanks for the FHE post
Old 03-27-2006, 07:21 AM
red350zguy
Banned

You are wasting your breathe glxracer, because 99atlantic knows more then the Nissan engineers. Read his posts and you can see that, the fact that Nissan is spending all this money to do this recall, because thier engineers feel this is a safety issue and that a car could catch on fire, means nothing to 99atlantic, he knows more then they do.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:41 AM
gixracer

i'm with ya red. i have seen the cracks its not a joke. i think FHE/mechanical eng. degree trumps keyboard jockey anyways. . plus being a former pyro as a kid ( no property damage to anyone) i know how easy it is to light gas up pooooooffffffff crackel pop pop get the idea?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:17 AM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by gixracer

wow and you have seen the cracks in the tubes?
i guess if gasoline is pouring over your hot exhaust it won't cath on fire. nextime you come up to michigan i can show you a demonstration of how easly a hot exhaust pipe will light up gasoline. enjoy your time in the burn unit and thanks for the FHE post
no I havn't since I"m not having them rip 1/2 my car apart, but in my dad's old VW he had cracked fuel hoses that were leaking fuel everywhere and he didn't catch on fire (although he did end up fixing it, but the point is that even with it phsyically leaking he didn't catch on fire from the hot exhaust)

Originally Posted by gixracer
i'm with ya red. i have seen the cracks its not a joke. i think FHE/mechanical eng. degree trumps keyboard jockey anyways. . plus being a former pyro as a kid ( no property damage to anyone) i know how easy it is to light gas up pooooooffffffff crackel pop pop get the idea?
So then why are you *****ing about the dealership ****ing up your drivetrain and talking about sueing them to get them to buy it back or get damages or whatever........I mean, if the crack's no joke you should say 'oh well, Nissan ****ed up my car but atleast I won't die in a firery wreck'. I mean, surely a few problems with your car is more than worth it since the crack is no joke

Originally Posted by red350zguy
You are wasting your breathe glxracer, because 99atlantic knows more then the Nissan engineers. Read his posts and you can see that, the fact that Nissan is spending all this money to do this recall, because thier engineers feel this is a safety issue and that a car could catch on fire, means nothing to 99atlantic, he knows more then they do.
I already told you one of my friends is an engineer with nissan/infiniti - he even told me that it's just based from some computer modeling and the severity of it is really unknown, but you would know well in advance before your car had any chance of burning
Old 03-27-2006, 09:53 AM
gixracer

So then why are you *****ing about the dealership ****ing up your drivetrain and talking about sueing them to get them to buy it back or get damages or whatever........I mean, if the crack's no joke you should say 'oh well, Nissan ****ed up my car but atleast I won't die in a firery wreck'. I mean, surely a few problems with your car is more than worth it since the crack is no joke

well i figured they would do the job correctly- they didn't. that has nothing to do with physics of my car buring due to leaking gas. it could happen.

charred car with no recourse because i didn't follow a recomendation or repaired car after screw ups fixed. i would take my fixed car any day of the week.

I already told you one of my friends is an engineer with nissan/infiniti - he even told me that it's just based from some computer modeling and the severity of it is really unknown, but you would know well in advance before your car had any chance of burning
unkonwn severity. well if you want to stand next to 16 or so gallons of gas that may explode when you fill your tank- have fun BOOOM

as seeing you dont't trust nissan do do the repair work why would you trust your freind who also works for nissan. logic guess not
Old 03-27-2006, 11:05 AM
03performz

Originally Posted by bixby
If it took them that long to perform the work I'd inspect every inch of it too. It should only take 3 to 4 hours max.
It only took the course of Thurs....they were prob. backed up. I dropped it after hrs. on Wed. and they called me 1st thing Fri.

I did a visual insepection but haven't got it in the air yet (this weekend) and everything seems fine drives fine, no noises, nothing. The bill said 2.3 hrs. but someone stated earlier that that wasn't an indication of the actual time it took to complete the work but just a standard billing amount.

They also took care of the Shutter Valve prob. which was causing me to not be able to fill the fuel tank all the way. I just filled it all the way up w/ no probs....I'm very happy.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:41 PM
red350zguy
Banned

Like I said glxracer, you are wasting your breathe with 99atlantic, he knows everything. Why don't you ask your friend, why did they do a computer model in the first place to find out about these hoses, what triggered it to start with. Ask that 99atlantic, I am really curious as to his answer, considering I know why they did it to begin with, but I would really like to hear your friends answer.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:02 PM
bigdaddy

mine is going in wednesday. they have done "several" already.

my view is this...is there a chance that the dealership might screw something up? sure there is. is there a chance that any other shop might screw something up if asked to do the same thing? of course. however, nothing they might screw up can't be fixed. they mess something up...it goes back in and gets fixed, for free. sure it might be a hastle, but it could be worse. much worse. i have first hand experience with investigating vehicle fires that have burnt down houses and even killed people.

i know it is fatalistic, but i don't want something like that to happen when i could have done something about it. i don't want to be saying...well i know it destroyed my house/car/etc., but i was worried the dealership might not tighten every bolt.

if you are on the fence, just get it done. it is FREE and makes the car safer.

just my (basically) worthless opinion.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:05 PM
bigdaddy

BTW, don't think i won't have the car up on a lift for a good once-over after this goes down.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Road Warrior

you guys are blowing everything out of proportion...its very simple...either do it or don't

most of us have had bad experiences with dealership mechanics...even their so called top mechanic can leave an oil cap off after doing an oil change. everyone has their bad days and good days so its always a risk no matter what the degree of excellence in the mechanic.

with that said, good luck to all that have had theirs done....i am still going to wait until mine catches fire cuz i would really like a new gtr
Old 03-29-2006, 10:48 AM
dlmkr1

I wonder if there is less liability for Nissan if you dont' have it done. It's your choice not too and maybe your responsibility if you don't. Well I had mine done anyway, no problems, dealer was doing two others that same day. Had the oil changed and got a free hand wash and vacuum. Although I am still pissed that I have feathering, everything else has been good including the dealers shop.

ON another note: the dealer got hit by a tornado lsat week. Picked up a Titan SUV, turned it upside down, through it across the lot over 50' and into a infinity FX...totaled both. And I was looking at the FX the day before. Oh well !!!
Old 03-29-2006, 04:33 PM
SchoolZin

Wow this has gotten really heated since I read it last week!

Like most of us out there, I do worry when I take my car to the dealership. Are they going to damage my body kit, scratch my wheels, who knows? As long as you have a good rapport established with your dealership (so long as they are not a bunch of a-holes) then I think most of the time they want to make you happy and take care of you. My dealership has been awesome about my Z throughout the three years I have been taking it to them. At about 18,000 miles, my Z ended up having this increasingly terrible valve ticking noise, that ended up being a tensil strength issue where one of the valves was puching an indentation into the lifter. They had to tear down quite a bit to take care it.- Boy was that frickin' scary! 10,000 miles later everything still seems fine.

I understand a lot of the frustration out there with dealerships that do a sub-par job, but I definitely don't think this is something that you can just let go.
Anytime there is a possible problem involving flammables and my sweet tushie, you better believe I'm taking care of my own butt first. -This coming from a guy who openly admits he is Obbsessive-compulsive about his car.

-That being said, my car went in Monday night. They finished Tuesday, but I haven't checked it out yet because they are taking care of my worn seat and a window that continues to tick after the grease streak TSB. ....and even though I know my mechanic is a very knowledgeable and good guy, I too will be putting that sucker on a lift this weekend and making sure everything looks cool. -That's what OCD dudes do.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:05 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are talking about the filler tube not the gas tank. So if there is a crack in the filler tube and your pumping gas. I'm sure you would stop when there is fuel dripping. I'm still waiting until the dealer gets more hands on experience.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:40 PM
aiko

After speaking to my service manager, it seems as if they have *not* encountered any cracking issuses with the 9 filler tubes they have done so far. All of the Z's have been located in South Florida full time, so it looks like the cracking may be a cold climate issue....but then again, it is a relatively small sample size...

Just tossing that info out for discussion for those weighing the pros/cons of the recall campaign...

Last edited by aiko; 03-29-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:11 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SchoolZin
Wow this has gotten really heated since I read it last week!

Like most of us out there, I do worry when I take my car to the dealership. Are they going to damage my body kit, scratch my wheels, who knows? As long as you have a good rapport established with your dealership (so long as they are not a bunch of a-holes) then I think most of the time they want to make you happy and take care of you. My dealership has been awesome about my Z throughout the three years I have been taking it to them. At about 18,000 miles, my Z ended up having this increasingly terrible valve ticking noise, that ended up being a tensil strength issue where one of the valves was puching an indentation into the lifter. They had to tear down quite a bit to take care it.- Boy was that frickin' scary! 10,000 miles later everything still seems fine.

I understand a lot of the frustration out there with dealerships that do a sub-par job, but I definitely don't think this is something that you can just let go.
Anytime there is a possible problem involving flammables and my sweet tushie, you better believe I'm taking care of my own butt first. -This coming from a guy who openly admits he is Obbsessive-compulsive about his car.

-That being said, my car went in Monday night. They finished Tuesday, but I haven't checked it out yet because they are taking care of my worn seat and a window that continues to tick after the grease streak TSB. ....and even though I know my mechanic is a very knowledgeable and good guy, I too will be putting that sucker on a lift this weekend and making sure everything looks cool. -That's what OCD dudes do.
little of topic but on that worn seat i wasn't aware of that tsb...can you elablorate

also, hope everything checks out and i do think your smart in doing a look over
Old 03-30-2006, 09:47 PM
SchoolZin

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
little of topic but on that worn seat i wasn't aware of that tsb...can you elablorate

also, hope everything checks out and i do think your smart in doing a look over

It is a TSB for 03's with a production date prior to March 21, 2003.
It's listed on Nissanhelp.com. Here is the page (if it works).

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB03-063.htm
Old 03-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Road Warrior

hah, thats funny because even though my car is later model that is where i hit my seat every time i get in my car...i can see why they made that a tsb

do they replace seats with newer covers?

sorry all for off topic

but on topic..sounds like several of you have done the fuel hose tsb...most happy too...gfu

Quick Reply: Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's