Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:51 PM
SteveZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEF
In reading the notice it appears to me that there are two series of VIN numbers covered by the recall. the first is for number "3T" (for model year 2003, I presume) 000001-120477 and the second is for 4T000001-160537. Therefore, if the last eight digits of your 2004 is, for example, 4T051227, it would be included in the recall. If the VIN were 4T170538, it would not. I just went through this with Nissan USA and the company seemed to confirm the above.

My 2004, regretably, is included. However, in reviewing the 24-page service bulletin, I am rather reluctant to have the dealer take my car apart. More to the point, I am concerned that the dealer may not put is back together as it was. As mentioned by someone above, it appears that the entire rear end of the car must be taken apart to gain access to the affected rubber hoses.

Here's a question to the group: if one ignores a factory recall until one actually has a problem, will the Nissan still perform the job even if the car is off of waranty? Let's say three years pass, would Nissan still perform the recall at no charge?
Yes. I have had recall notice from Nissan years after warranty was gone on an Altima I still have - more than 8+ years after I bought it - still have it, work is done at least at my dealer even through 114k on the car, too.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:27 PM
ohw

Originally Posted by **** Zee
I took my roadster in for this recall and I was told that it was not covered. After checking the VIN number, I agree that it isn't. Is the reason that the roadsters are built in a different factory? Does this mean that I still have the problem but they wont admit it?
I also took my ZR in to check up on the recall. Nope, mine is also not on the recall list. Not sure because it's a ZR, or just not have the same problem. Either way, I was glad that they don't have to take mine apart. BTW, the Z and ZR are built at the same factory. They did switch the Z/ZR production from one factory to another in late 2004.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:10 AM
06Firebase

After reading through almost this entire thread (I just couldn't do it all), you guys have me half scared to death!

Only ONE positive comment about Nissan dealer service?

I just got my '03 a week ago and they told me they had done THREE recall services on it:

1) this gas tank/ gas hose issue
2) replaced the transmission about 25K miles ago
3) fixed the so-called "tire feathering" problem I've heard so much about

(Looks as if the previous owner had it well taken care of)

But I am absolutely terrified now . . . . PLEASE somebody, tell me something GOOD . . . PLEASE tell me I didn't make a mistake. This is my "mid-life crisis" car that I've wanted all my life!
Old 06-29-2006, 07:32 AM
Nano

Do you have issues with your car? Does it run well? If the problems have been taken care of, I don't see reasons to worry.

I have a 2003 and it runs flawlessly, I am not even considering changing it
Old 06-29-2006, 08:13 AM
06Firebase

Thanks That's what I wanted to hear!

But seriously, it seems most of you guys have a very low opinion of the quality of service you get from Nissan dealerships! This seems to be the case no matter where you live.

That's what really bothers me. Although I did a lot of reading about the "Z" before I bought one, I never thought much about service quality, or knowledge, at Nissan dealerships.

Joe
Old 06-29-2006, 08:26 AM
JimDieselZ

Default Recalls.

My Z is a 03 that has had all of the recalls taken care of. I will have to say that my dealer has been good about doing all of the recalls with no complaints from me. My Z runs great compared to other cars I have owned. The worse cars I have owned have been a 76 Triumph TR7 and an 82 Pontiac Trans Am that where both in the shop more than on the road. I had a 77 280Z that was also a great car with no problems at all.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:29 AM
nosurf2day

Default Recalls

Originally Posted by CLETUS
anytime you want you can go to the service writer and have them run the vin. any open recalls will show up and you can get them taken care of.
I second this, I just picked up my new used 350 and I went to the dealer to get a checkup on the car. Just for peace of mind. I asked if there were any recalls on this. They ran a campaign report and told me that there were no open campaign's on the car. It is that easy. Just go to the nearest Nissan service dept.

Good luck.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Well guys, I was one of the skeptical many who said that they would hold off on getting this recall work done unless I had a problem. I got my recall notice way back in April and stuck it in a drawer.

I had to break it out this week. When I fill my tank up, fuel LEAKS ALL OVER THE GROUND!

I will be calling the dealer this week to see about getting the work done. I have a Borla exhaust and hopefully they will be able to deal with that without too much trouble. Otherwise, that area of my car is all stock (other than my wheels and tires).

I sort of know the owner of the dealership. He saw my car and loved what I had done to it. He had me give him an entire "tour" of all my mods. I am going to give him a call beforehand to let him know how concerned I am over this work and ask that he put his best man (men) on the job.

I am also going to ask for the old hoses and will take pics for all to see.

I will keep you posted, and as someone else stated, "May the Force be with me!"
Attached Thumbnails Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's-img_5515-small-.jpg   Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's-img_5497-small-.jpg  
Old 07-04-2006, 05:30 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bonz
Well guys, I was one of the skeptical many who said that they would hold off on getting this recall work done unless I had a problem. I got my recall notice way back in April and stuck it in a drawer.

I had to break it out this week. When I fill my tank up, fuel LEAKS ALL OVER THE GROUND!

I will be calling the dealer this week to see about getting the work done. I have a Borla exhaust and hopefully they will be able to deal with that without too much trouble. Otherwise, that area of my car is all stock (other than my wheels and tires).

I sort of know the owner of the dealership. He saw my car and loved what I had done to it. He had me give him an entire "tour" of all my mods. I am going to give him a call beforehand to let him know how concerned I am over this work and ask that he put his best man (men) on the job.

I am also going to ask for the old hoses and will take pics for all to see.

Wow! So sorry to hear that your car now leaks. I am sort of surprised that even with your relationship with the dealer, you put off having the work done. I bit the bullet right when the bulletin first came out and have not looked back since. To a certain extent, any car owner has to trust someone about service, even if you do it yourself. Good luck with your repair.
cheers,
Chinaclipper
Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Dr Bonz
May the Force be with you, Yoda Bonz. Good to see you around here.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:34 PM
spn350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nissan has to remove the tank to replace some of the hoses, this requires dropping the drive train. IMO dropping the drive and re-install should be followed by an alignment check. Well Nissan does not include the alignment in the work order for the recall. I had somewhat of bad service, they left two bolts off that held the right brake hose to the body and now drive train is making noise.

It is hard to double check service but see if the will include an alignment after dropping the drive train.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been told that since the entire suspension is dropped and then just "reattached" there should be no need for an alignment.

I am waiting to hear about an appointment to get this done.

I will keep you all posted.

Good to be back Yobri.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:25 PM
JDOUBLE

Default ..

Old 07-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Z4Zum

Originally Posted by spn350z
Nissan has to remove the tank to replace some of the hoses, this requires dropping the drive train. IMO dropping the drive and re-install should be followed by an alignment check. Well Nissan does not include the alignment in the work order for the recall. I had somewhat of bad service, they left two bolts off that held the right brake hose to the body and now drive train is making noise.

It is hard to double check service but see if the will include an alignment after dropping the drive train.
Well, whatdoyaknooo..... They left a screw out from my bumper and I didn't know until it flapped in the wind on the highway, only to be followed by a Check Engine light...because the dumb *** did not make sure the plug to the sensor "clicked" when he reconnected it. YIKES.....I wonder what else didn't "click" but I made a HUGE stink to Nissan corp and they had a little chit chat with them about it. Rechecked everything top to bottom, and 4 free oil changes.....of course I went to a different service that time around.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Snotty

Red face Yes recall again wooot!!!

Getting my Z done as we speak. The gas tank needs to be ripped out something with the hoses or something. They leak and can sometimes cause fires. I was like hmmmmmm. Maybe i should get it fixed. They are also fixing my check engine light has been on forever. They still cant figure out what is going on. The Z family baby always in the shop.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:57 PM
cwerdna

Originally Posted by Snotty
Getting my Z done as we speak. The gas tank needs to be ripped out something with the hoses or something. They leak and can sometimes cause fires. I was like hmmmmmm. Maybe i should get it fixed.
See http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB06-014.htm for the procedure. It's a BIG job just to replace some hoses. Luckily mine was done months ago and I haven't had any probs.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:49 PM
d!abolic

Default x

x

Last edited by d!abolic; 08-10-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:21 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to the dealer and got the voluntary hose recall done a few days ago. They said the hoses were fine. I'm surprised because my Z was built in Sept. 2002. My dealer was good gave me a rental for the day. A 06 Cobalt LS. Of course I beat the **** out of it.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:11 PM
kaiser

Originally Posted by tonystark
I am starting to wonder about the quality of nissan cars. I am sure that BMW owners don't have these problems.
trust me, bmws have plenty of problems of their own, they just don't have recalls. MY dad usually takes his bmw in at least once a month to get something fixed on it. BMW's have too many high tech computer features on them so they break way more often, and if not under warranty it costs much more to fix.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Metatron

I've known BMW's to be some of the most reliable cars I've ever come across. We regularly have some come into the shop with 300,000 miles with no problems. Most of the owners beat the ever loving crap out of them too.
But, I'm hopin a Z will be just fine. If it's anything like my Pathfinder I don't think you'll come across many problems with it as long as it's well taken care of.

Quick Reply: Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's