Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ride Problem? Call..............

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 08:50 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bounce

Originally posted by YourMomma
So the question we need answered is what conditions did the engineers set the Z up to handle?
I just got the answer back from Nissan!

Q: What conditions did the engineers set the Z up to handle?
A: Grandmothers doing 20 in a 35.

Old 03-05-2003, 04:25 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

droidekaus,

Which paper filter are you testing? I thought about the NISMO paper filter but it is $$$. I'll be glad to hear your unbiased opinion of the NISMO susp. kit.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:11 PM
droideka

Originally posted by jmark
droidekaus,

Which paper filter are you testing? I thought about the NISMO paper filter but it is $$$.
Hold out until Saturday! I'm going to the dyno again and will make the results public. I have a hypothesis brewing and I want to quantify data before I start talking out of my ***.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bounce

Originally posted by YourMomma
Here's my observations...

1. The ride can get very bouncy/porposing at times. There are some back roads in NJ that really bring this out.
2. Depending on the road surface, my z sometimes seems to get better at higher speed. It seems more planted. Downforce maybe?!?
3. Over really rough roads with some speed, I'd swear that the tires lose contact.

Now its been a while since I've really thought about suspension and its set up, but I agree with some of the postings about the soft/stiff combination. If memory serves me correctly, motorcycles usually have configurable Preload and Rebound settings. If setup incorrectly for your conditions, you won't get the desired result.

So the question we need answered is what conditions did the engineers set the Z up to handle.
It appears Nissan set up the springs/shocks for the relatively smooth roads in S. Calif. Many of the posters who are saying, "What Problem" are from States with a good tax base to keep their roads in decent repair for the most part. Some who encounter poor roads are saying, what a lousy road. We in other states are not so fortunate in our road system. Maybe Nissan's road research was done in locales where you didn't have to worry about compression/rebound on the shocks and springs.

I was discussing the problem suspension w/my wife last night and she said the ride over bad roads reminded her of our 1982 Mustang GT! A live axle car set up with stiff springs and flabby shocks that rode fine when you had 2-300lbs in the hatch! Sound familiar?

I think Nissan owes us, under warranty, shocks with sufficient rebound to control the stiff springs on our cars, or a shock/spring combo that rides like an independent suspension should, not like a live axle car designed 25 years ago.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-09-2003 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:34 AM
sgraham

Yes to the shocks. I cannot stand it. The hood of the car is just slamming up and down3-4 time sper second. Everyone should call the tech line and open a ticket: Nissan Tech Line: 1-800-647-7261. my dealer could give a rats patoot
Old 03-10-2003, 05:26 AM
John

In case you missed it, hedonist, the Alignment issues are already subject to a TSB and most of us have already had it adjusted. Unless something else is wrong, my alignment is fine. The ride is not and it is a problem for some of us who have had our cars for a relatively long time and the shocks and springs ARE what we are bitching about and we will continue to ***** about it w/o your approval! Got it? You don't get to tell us what we should do about anything, period.
My alignment was pretty much in spec as well, yet the tires are feathering badly. Nissan's temporary fix for this problem is to swap the left and right tires in the front, but that still isn't the cure for the problem. Fact is that Nissan still doesn't know what the exact cause of the problem is, and given the cost of a tire in our size, it's going to cost you several hundred dollars extra a year to fix it.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by Hedonist
My alignment was pretty much in spec as well, yet the tires are feathering badly. Nissan's temporary fix for this problem is to swap the left and right tires in the front, but that still isn't the cure for the problem. Fact is that Nissan still doesn't know what the exact cause of the problem is, and given the cost of a tire in our size, it's going to cost you several hundred dollars extra a year to fix it.
OK, I am an ***. Please accept my apology, hedonist. I shouldn't have posted such impolite anguage. No excuse. It seems to me that Nissan should start looking at the A-arms and seeing if they are bent. Didn't the Warranty administer in S. Florida say he found some Zs coming right off the transports with toe-in off and a couple of A-Arms bent?

I could be dreaming this, does anyone remember? If this is correct, then why doesn't Nissan authorize inspections of these suspension parts. BTW, Avalon Racing has camber kits for $435 each fr and rear. Its nice to know we can go to the Aftermarket again with our money to correct another flaw, if this is a fix. I am assuming the kits would be $870 for all 4 wheels. At the rate of $fixes, we could end up in Boxster territory PDQ.

BOOMER--CONTINUING FRUSTRATION.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-10-2003 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:32 AM
John

No offense taken...

I'm not worried about the camber, as I've always had cars with camber between 1 and 1.5 degrees, and tire wear on the inside is minimum. I did ask my dealership about the possibility of the carrier straps bending something in the suspension during delivery, but they discredited that idea. I do feel like I'm getting a run-around, but I'm not too certain what my other options are. I don't like pointing fingers, but I'm also getting frustrated with the lack of transparency on Nissan fixing these issues.

I guess the suspension doesn't both me too much since the car is a sports car that doesn't have a perfect suspension. Then again, we also got a quality found in cars $10-15K more expensive than ours. Additionally, I had always planned on swapping out the suspension for something more in tune to what I need at the track.

John, who is also every frustrated...
Old 03-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Deb

Default Rough Ride vs Bounce

Sorry to just come into this situation. My wife just picked up her car last week and I check this board weekly to see what is going on.

Can someone tell me if this is just on cars before a certain date or is it more of an issue with mileage regardless of date? I am assuming we are talking about bounce (bad shocks) rather than just the rough ride of a sports car with tight suspension and low travel - right? Is it bad from the start or does it develop due to bad or quick-wearing shocks????

So far with the wife's car - no orange peel, no window streaks, no problem filling with fuel, no bad sound from the Bose and the alignment was done by the dealer before picking it up ( it was out slightly). So far it has been a great ride - sports car rough, but great.

Deb's Other Half
Old 03-10-2003, 07:06 AM
John

The problem with the "bouncing" was simply the chosen design / setup of the spring and shock valving.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:06 AM
Pedal Pusher

Default DEB

The rough ride seems to be on all cars when they are driven on certain roads. It is not a wear issue. Yes, we all know what a sports car should ride like. These are not limos. Under certain conditions they ride rough and they shouldn't. It seems to be in the shocks and we are all trying to figure it out.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:11 AM
Pedal Pusher

Default Hendonist

Many of us think Nissan made poor choices on the spring/shock set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by Hedonist
No offense taken...

I'm not worried about the camber, as I've always had cars with camber between 1 and 1.5 degrees, and tire wear on the inside is minimum. I did ask my dealership about the possibility of the carrier straps bending something in the suspension during delivery, but they discredited that idea. I do feel like I'm getting a run-around, but I'm not too certain what my other options are. I don't like pointing fingers, but I'm also getting frustrated with the lack of transparency on Nissan fixing these issues.

I guess the suspension doesn't both me too much since the car is a sports car that doesn't have a perfect suspension. Then again, we also got a quality found in cars $10-15K more expensive than ours. Additionally, I had always planned on swapping out the suspension for something more in tune to what I need at the track.

John, who is also every frustrated...
Of course, our other option is to take our cars to a reputable independent shop that has the latest in alignment equipment. The installer from the Tire Rack who put on my new tires has such a machine. For $75, he can get an accurate, unbiased readout. I probably will go this route for peace of mind and, if needed, to prove a point.

Is there anyone who has received any feedback at all from NNA, either Regional or National, about our complaints? Are we to simply suffer in silence until someone in authority deigns to recognize and see to it the 3 largest faults in the Z are addressed? In my experience, others may differ from me, the big 3 are listed below:

1. BOSE, I have received a cure after replacement of the amp and radio;

2. Alignment, I continue to worry that the toe-in adjustment is not enough and I will ruin my new tires; and

3. Bounce, an always uncomfortable, sometimes embarassing mismatch of the shocks and springs.

Can anyone alleviate my worries?

Boomer--Waiting, Not in silence.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-10-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:06 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boomer,

I received and email today from my dealerships owner who forwarded my email to some contacts he has at Nissan (he worked there for long time). He said he expects to hear something soon. I will let you know what I find out.

Last edited by jmark; 03-10-2003 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by jmark
Boomer,

I received and email today from my dealerships owner who forwarded my email to some contacts he has at Nissan (he worked there for long time). He said he expects to hear something soon. I will let you know what I find out.
Thank you, Mark, from all of us. Keith
Old 03-10-2003, 01:42 PM
John

He said he expects to hear something soon. I will let you know what I find out.
I hope he's not issuing the false promises I continue to receive... Nissan is kinda like being a France in this situation... they intend to prolong the situation out so long that maybe we'll just give up and forget about it...
Old 03-10-2003, 01:51 PM
sgraham

>>>3. Bounce, an always uncomfortable, sometimes embarassing mismatch of the shocks and springs.

You hit it EXACTLY Boomer. The bounce is the WORST. Don't any lawyers read this board? We need some pissed lawyer/Z drivers right now. My dealer could care less. Logged it to Nissan Tech line.

Haven't had to deal with the tires and the BOSE sounds ok. Have had frozen shut windows, a burning smell coming from under the car, no armrests, uncomfortable driving leg position, tires that don't operate AT ALL on top of one snowflake and no sunroof.

She's a 100 miles away from being broken in so I'm hoping to start thrashing her into submission very very soon. the sound of screaming tires going sideways at 80 on dry pavement will be music to my ears. Say UNCLE little Z.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Pedal Pusher

Default Rough Ride Test

I lowered my tire preasure to 24lbs, front and rear, and drove on the same roads that have caused my car to bounce. The initial impact, with the seams in the road, was softer. However, the "bounce" was still there. I have set-up and raced many cars in SCCA National Racing and I am begining to believe it is the shocks. I am going to try to disconnet the rear shocks and try another test. Film at 11:00.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:50 PM
YourMomma

Default Re: Rough Ride Test

Originally posted by Pedal Pusher
I have set-up and raced many cars in SCCA National Racing and I am begining to believe it is the shocks. I am going to try to disconnet the rear shocks and try another test. Film at 11:00.
So the idea behind this test is the bounce will stay the same or get worse w/o the shocks. Correct?

For anyone out there with a service manual... Is there any information about the shocks such as Compression/Rebound/Dampening/etc.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:36 AM
Pedal Pusher

Default Rough Ride

YourMomma

When you lower tire pressure it is the same as reducing the spring rate. After "lowering" the spring rate, by lowering the tire pressure, the ride became softer. However, the bounce was still there. Therefore, softer springs will not eliminate the bounce and the only other thing left are the shocks. That is why I would like to disconnect the rear shocks and run another test. In racing we use a rule of thumb calculation that every pound of tire pressure=ten pounds of spring rate. It would be interesting to get the spring rate info on the 350Z and the G35. I have driven two G35s and they do not have the "bounce" problem. One day I drove a G35 and my car, back to back, on the same rough test rode and there was a dramatic difference. In fact, I was at a Infiniti dealer considering trading cars.

Quick Reply: Ride Problem? Call..............