Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ride Problem? Call..............

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 03:43 AM
john.laninga

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question New owner - what is the problem?

OK, I've got maybe 100 miles on a very new Z car (Touring with AT, stock 17" wheels and tires) and have tried to read all threads regarding the ride issues. I've only been on the highway once, but I didn't notice anything unusal about the ride, except that it is fairly stiff, normal for a sports car.

Can someone tell me what exactly to look for to check for the problem? Or will it need a specific piece of road surface to show up? I appreciate your patience with a new Zee-ite....

John
Old 04-13-2003, 06:58 AM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New owner - what is the problem?

Originally posted by john.laninga
OK, I've got maybe 100 miles on a very new Z car (Touring with AT, stock 17" wheels and tires) and have tried to read all threads regarding the ride issues. I've only been on the highway once, but I didn't notice anything unusal about the ride, except that it is fairly stiff, normal for a sports car.

Can someone tell me what exactly to look for to check for the problem? Or will it need a specific piece of road surface to show up? I appreciate your patience with a new Zee-ite....

John
If your head contacts the headliner, or feels like it may do so on several road surfaces, you have the problem.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:27 PM
offlogic

Default ride problem

If you read my earlier posting, the action of the ride quality made me feel like I was on a bumpy air plane which bordered on car sickness. And this was on brand new flat macadam at 70+ mph! It is pretty noticeable on average local roads and back roads but you don't really get the full nelly until you are on the highway going at average to above average speeds. If some people report that different springs, shocks, or whatever, dissipates the jolting choppiness, then you can bet that the stock Z doesn't have the optimal suspension that the car deserves. I find it hard to believe that this is a cost cutting measure but rather a detail that didn't seem to bother Nissan engineering. The real question is, if a fix is possible why should we be made to spend a small fortune to make it driveable and why doesn't Nissan respond to us who have registered the complaint??? I wonder if Boxster, SLK or BMW M series owners have similar problems??

Anybody ready to pool all of the case/file numbers and do a single assault on NNA?
Old 04-13-2003, 04:09 PM
Boomer

Default Re: ride problem

Originally posted by offlogic
If you read my earlier posting, the action of the ride quality made me feel like I was on a bumpy air plane which bordered on car sickness. And this was on brand new flat macadam at 70+ mph! It is pretty noticeable on average local roads and back roads but you don't really get the full nelly until you are on the highway going at average to above average speeds. If some people report that different springs, shocks, or whatever, dissipates the jolting choppiness, then you can bet that the stock Z doesn't have the optimal suspension that the car deserves. I find it hard to believe that this is a cost cutting measure but rather a detail that didn't seem to bother Nissan engineering. The real question is, if a fix is possible why should we be made to spend a small fortune to make it driveable and why doesn't Nissan respond to us who have registered the complaint??? I wonder if Boxster, SLK or BMW M series owners have similar problems??

Anybody ready to pool all of the case/file numbers and do a single assault on NNA?
Its already being done, look for mindfullivn and jelledges' posts where they are compiling people, VIN#s and NNA case complaints. we are not well organized as yet, so be patient w/me/them, me mostly, I just got home.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:03 AM
tbadiuk

Hi,

Just thought I'd post the obvious solution:

Go buy a used low milage set of springs from someone who is upgrading his/her Infiniti with performance springs and install them in your Z. Note this is for people who want a better more comfortable ride and note the track racers obviously.

Ted
Old 04-14-2003, 03:47 AM
Pedal Pusher

Default Installing G35c springs

I'm not sure this is true, however, I thought about the G35c springs and did research to see if they would fit. I was told they would not and that even it they did, the shocks should be changed due to different valving. Don't foget, the G35c is about 250 lbs heavier than the 350z.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:18 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the spring part numbers changed on the Z at least once. Has anyone verified if the shocks part numbers have changed?
Old 04-14-2003, 05:25 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by jmark
I know the spring part numbers changed on the Z at least once. Has anyone verified if the shocks part numbers have changed?
Yes but it is unrelated to our problem. Good idea, but Nissan has other reasons to change part numbers other than our problem.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:27 AM
Boomer

Default Re: Installing G35c springs

Originally posted by Pedal Pusher
I'm not sure this is true, however, I thought about the G35c springs and did research to see if they would fit. I was told they would not and that even it they did, the shocks should be changed due to different valving. Don't foget, the G35c is about 250 lbs heavier than the 350z.
The G35C would have a different spring rate and different valving on the shocks because of the weight. We can't go there for relief.

Last edited by Boomer; 04-14-2003 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:42 AM
jmark

Originally posted by Boomer
Yes but it is unrelated to our problem. Good idea, but Nissan has other reasons to change part numbers other than our problem.
How do we know that? All I know is the Touring I drove rode like I expect my car too. Now make it so!
Old 04-15-2003, 10:33 AM
offlogic

How do we know that? All I know is the Touring I drove rode like I expect my car too. Now make it so!
Clarification please, are you saying you drove a Touring model that drove without the choppiness?? Was that a test drive? Mine is the Touring Auto and as far as I am aware the suspension is the same on all of the them. P.S. Have you seen a Blue Ferrari 360 Modena F1 scooting about Greer?
Old 04-15-2003, 10:48 AM
jmark

Clarification please, are you saying you drove a Touring model that drove without the choppiness?? Was that a test drive? Mine is the Touring Auto and as far as I am aware the suspension is the same on all of the them. P.S. Have you seen a Blue Ferrari 360 Modena F1 scooting about Greer?
I drove my dealers owners touring 6 speed and it drove fine. 18" standard rims. The touring auto has the same wheels as mine 17".
Old 04-15-2003, 12:43 PM
offlogic

I drove my dealers owners touring 6 speed and it drove fine. 18" standard rims. The touring auto has the same wheels as mine 17".
Any theories about what the difference could be? I took delivery Aug. 31st, 2002 and can't believe Nissan made any significant changes since then. The production run (as far as I know) just wan't that great. And if there was a change for the better then Nissan isn't admitting it. I haven't driven a model with 18" wheels but in one of the early previews (Road and Track?) they commented that the ride was a bit rough with the 18"s but should be better with the 17"s on the Touring!!?? I think in the last analysis we are stuck with what we got and any changes are going to come out of our pockets. I am sure Nissans' take is that the ride quality (or lack thereof) is a purely subjective experience.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:00 PM
Boomer

Any theories about what the difference could be? I took delivery Aug. 31st, 2002 and can't believe Nissan made any significant changes since then. The production run (as far as I know) just wan't that great. And if there was a change for the better then Nissan isn't admitting it. I haven't driven a model with 18" wheels but in one of the early previews (Road and Track?) they commented that the ride was a bit rough with the 18"s but should be better with the 17"s on the Touring!!?? I think in the last analysis we are stuck with what we got and any changes are going to come out of our pockets. I am sure Nissans' take is that the ride quality (or lack thereof) is a purely subjective experience.
Go to the wheels and tires thread and read silverz's post. I have asked him for clarification.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:44 PM
YourMomma

All,
EZChief had started a new thread titled "Bounce of Jounce". He referenced an article in MotorTrend, where they talk about the Z having "ripple-control" shocks. He hinted at this maybe being the cause of our headaches... any thoughts.

-- --Snippet--

Though the new Z shares many of its underpinnings with the G35, don't get the idea Nissan scrimped on the suspension. Quite the opposite. The four-wheel double-wishbone setup gives the Z delightful poise and control. A BMW-inspired double-pivot design to the lower arms of the front suspension gives exemplary caster control during cornering and helps minimize camber change with wheel travel. Additionally, most suspension pieces are of cast or forged aluminum, reducing unsprung weight in the process. New "ripple-control" shock absorbers debut in the Z, featuring an internal lip that tends to minimize "pebbly" high-frequency harshness. The close-coupled suspension can get jouncy on warped sections of concrete freeway, yet it displays a well-tuned balance of responsiveness and ride comfort under most driving conditions.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:57 PM
Boomer

Jesus, back to square 1.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:34 AM
ezchief

At the request of Your Mamma, I have relocated this find:

Bounce or "jounce"

This was in the Motor Trend review last year regarding initial drive. I was bored so I went back to read articles on the car I preordered in 2/02. Forgot about this comment so for those in the know I thought we could get some feedback on what this new shock absorber does.

"New "ripple-control" shock absorbers debut in the Z, featuring an internal lip that tends to minimize "pebbly" high-frequency harshness. The close-coupled suspension can get jouncy on warped sections of concrete freeway, yet it displays a well-tuned balance of responsiveness and ride comfort under most driving conditions."-MOTOR TREND

Sounds like what we have been talking about. Any comments are appreciated.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:13 AM
spn350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ezchief
At the request of Your Mamma, I have relocated this find:

Bounce or "jounce"

This was in the Motor Trend review last year regarding initial drive. I was bored so I went back to read articles on the car I preordered in 2/02. Forgot about this comment so for those in the know I thought we could get some feedback on what this new shock absorber does.

"New "ripple-control" shock absorbers debut in the Z, featuring an internal lip that tends to minimize "pebbly" high-frequency harshness. The close-coupled suspension can get jouncy on warped sections of concrete freeway, yet it displays a well-tuned balance of responsiveness and ride comfort under most driving conditions."-MOTOR TREND

Sounds like what we have been talking about. Any comments are appreciated.
IMO it is "lack of ripple control" because it definitely does not minimize "pebbly" high-frequency harshness.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by spn350z
IMO it is "lack of ripple control" because it definitely does not minimize "pebbly" high-frequency harshness.
I agree with you, there is no ripple contol I can detect.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:14 PM
YourMomma

Originally posted by spn350z
This is why I asked that the post be moved into this thread. My thought is that maybe those who have the "jouncy" ride have defective "ripple control". Has anyone looked closely at the shocks? Is there anything that seems different? I'm assuming it would be valving within the shocks, but maybe they're leaking or defective in some other way?

Just throwing out ideas...

Quick Reply: Ride Problem? Call..............