Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

New car, "Service Engine Soon" light

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003 | 05:55 PM
Rob Nance

Default New car, "Service Engine Soon" light

Hey all, just have a quick question. I picked up my Super Black 350z today and have been cruising around, enjoying it immensly. Well, at a stoplight I noticed the service engine soon light was on. It's kind of semi blocked by the steering wheel, so I'm not sure if it had been on, it could have even been on when I left the dealer. Just curious if anyone had problems with this when their car was new, or even later, and what the cause was. It is on solid, not blinking. Oil pressure, engine temp, everything seems ok. I checked all the fluid levels, seems fine. I checked the airbox to see if it had a clip undone, thought there bight be an air leak. Everything seems fine. Car runs fine, no funny noises.

I am going to take it back to the dealer tomorrow to have them take a look at it. My guess was something like a bad O2 sensor or something seemed possible, but I have no real idea.

Hopefully it's nothing major.

I love the car, pics tomorrow hopefully!
Old 03-14-2003 | 06:03 PM
Encore

Check and make sure your gas cap is on tight.
Old 03-14-2003 | 08:10 PM
Rob Nance

Oh yeah, meant to put on that I did that after looking in the manual, did nothing. I did seem to notice what sounded like a slight hissing noise coming from under the car, and it seemed like you can hear it kind of along the center console/back behind the console. I'm sure an exhaust leak would cause this light. Any likelihood of a bad weld from the factory so I have a tiny leak causing the service light?

I'll let you all know when I find out from the dealer tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2003 | 04:04 AM
Z350Lover

hello Rob,

It might be the fuel pump noise though... I have that hissing noise all the time now... dealer is going to replace it under warranty for me on Tuesday! I've had that noise since day 4 of my ownership on the car ... and it has been there for 4 weeks already, but the service engin light hasn't come up ever since! Good luck mate!

cheers,

richie
Old 03-15-2003 | 02:08 PM
Rob Nance

Thanks Richie, I'll have to keep an eye...err ear on that. They were only open until noon today and I had to help a friend move so I have an appointment at 7:30am Monday morning. Hopefully it's nothing big!
Old 03-15-2003 | 05:50 PM
Rob Nance

Well, my cap was tight since I got the car, but all I know is just like everyone said in previous threads about this, about 6-10 times of taking the car out and driving, the light went away.

I bet it was on since I got the car and the guy took the cap off and filled it up while it was running at the dealership before I picked it up.
Old 03-15-2003 | 06:02 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

I have had the light come on 3 times all three times for a small Evap valve leak ?? the reset it and once they even reprogrammed it with a fix but it happened after that.

One dealer said they might smoke the system to see if they can find the leak since the ECU reprogram didn't fix it.
Old 03-17-2003 | 05:28 PM
MaxZmus

Default "Service Engine Soon"

The same thing happened to me and it was the gas cap. You must turn until it clicks. After the first time it happened to me I make sure it clicks at a minimum of three. I never have had the light come on since. The dealer said I come drive it and after the third fill up the light should go off or bring it to the dealer and have them reset it -- I chose to have them reset it. If the light just glows it is not a serious issue but if it flashes -- call for help -- do not drive.