Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Manual Transmission Vibration while Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006 | 08:25 AM
Marshall2K

Exclamation Manual Transmission Vibration while Driving

Note: I've done a few searches and only found tramsission issues while at "idle". However, my problem is different.

Setup: '04 23k mile 350z on a smooth road with no stereo and relatively new balanced front tires.

Scenerio: I have feel severe vibrations from the stick shifter and it shakes the car so bad that it's hard to see out the rearview mirror very well.

There is no grinding noise while shifting. However, all the vibration feels like it comming from the transmission through the shifter. I know that some vibration is normal for this car. This vibration is much heaver than an other 350z that Ive driven and I feel it through all the gears at any speed, especially at engine breaking.

This sounds to me like the trany is going bad. Anyone have this issue? How can I get the transmission replaced under warranty before it fails? TSB?

HELP
SOS
Old 11-20-2006 | 09:10 AM
bailey bill

Actually, its pretty unlikely that severe vibration would be a tranny problem.

Its much more likely either an engine problem, or possibly a U joint/driveshaft problem.

Since both ate connected to the tranny, and the tranny is really in the passenger compartment, it feels like its coming from the tranny.

bill
Old 11-20-2006 | 02:30 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

From your description it does sound like driveshaft, but go get it checked asap and don't take no for answer from the dealer!!!!!!!!

If it's the driveshaft you will feel harmonic vibration through your pedals, the seat of your pants, trans and just makes the car an absolute handful to keep on the straight and makes it feel like the alignment is out as well in my personal experience. I've just had my '04's driveshaft replaced under warranty just over month ago and other parts that were wrecked by the vibration because the whole ordeal was dragged out unneccessarily. U joints stuffed both ends of the driveshaft. Vibrates the whole car and if it's not dealt to promptly it will destroy other parts. In my zeds case it wrecked the fuel pump, shocks, cd player, half shafts and a few other parts. It's a 10 minute job for your dealer to drop the drive shaft out to inspect.

I personally will be extremely interested how you get on. Good luck & don't let them flog you off with "we can not replicate this problem"!!!!!

Last edited by BRONZEE; 11-22-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-23-2006 | 08:49 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Hey Marshall, how'd you get on??
Old 11-23-2006 | 09:29 PM
capeland

I have the same problem you are describing. The dealer went for a test drive with me and said it could be the flywheel but I think it is the driveshaft. My car vibrates mostly at around 3500rpm when decelerating, and also while in
5th or 6th gear under hard acceleration. I know it is not comming from my engine because that was replaced already! and the vibration is still there and gettting worse every day.
Old 11-23-2006 | 09:37 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

What year and what model, how many kms/miles is your zed capeland?
Old 11-23-2006 | 09:44 PM
capeland

2003, 60k, just so you know I have noticed the vibration for about a year, and have brought it up with the dealer before but now it is really bad and I was finally able to replicate this on my test drive.
Old 11-23-2006 | 09:49 PM
capeland

Last edited by capeland; 11-23-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2006 | 09:50 PM
capeland

Originally Posted by capeland
U joints stuffed both ends of the driveshaft. Vibrates the whole car and if it's not dealt to promptly it will destroy other parts. In my zeds case it wrecked the fuel pump, shocks, cd player, half shafts and a few other parts.
Were you serious about it breaking all these parts? Did you get them all replaced? I know my cd player is pretty screwed but shocks? and fuel pump?

Last edited by capeland; 11-23-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2006 | 01:52 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Were you serious about it breaking all these parts? Did you get them all replaced? I know my cd player is pretty screwed but shocks? and fuel pump?
Yes, unfortunately Capeland I'm 100% dead serious. Serious vibration in a car is extremely detrimental. In my zeds case it's not fixed yet either. May also pay to have your half shafts checked out, as we're sure this is what caused the driveshaft to go initially. As per workshop manual "unusal axial looseness", basically the fixed end has play when it should not.

2003, 60k, just so you know I have noticed the vibration for about a year, and have brought it up with the dealer before but now it is really bad and I was finally able to replicate this on my test drive.
My zed had problems from brand new, purchased April 2004. Always blown wheel alignments like no car I've ever known, absolutely crazy. I've still have all the alignment sheets, each time same offending wheel. Problems with my zed became the most obvious Xmas 2005, so a years, similar to you. My zed now has 50k on the clock, was at 30k when the worst of it started.

So what is your dealer doing about your zed capeland if they've been able to replicate. Did they tell you what they think it is????

Last edited by BRONZEE; 11-26-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2006 | 10:31 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Bump.

Marshall, how are you getting on with the vibration in your zed? Did your dealer sort it out??

I had my driveshaft replaced one month ago, done 2k so far and this new driveshaft is stuffed already. I know what causes this. You may want to send me a pm and I'll explain.
Old 12-05-2006 | 06:12 AM
Motormouth
Banned

why don't you just post your explanation?? I have this vibration as well (not serious though)
Old 12-05-2006 | 01:18 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Motormouth
why don't you just post your explanation?? I have this vibration as well (not serious though)
It basically goes like this. The driveshaft in my zed is basically too straight, generally should be on a 3 degree angle, in my 2004 350 it's about 1 degree (hopefully this has been changed in the '06), therefore creating harmonic vibration, in my zeds case this has been intensified due to the axles loosely, "unusal axial looseness", moving on the inside of the housing wearing the ball bearings and creating general wear on the inside of the housing.
All the other 14 x 350's I've driven seem to have a very light harmonic, but no where near the huge harmonics that my zed has. Any car that can basically destroy a brand new driveshaft in such an extremely short period of time, has serious issues and to the point in the rare occassion I have to drive to my mechanic's workshop again, having to drive barefoot to keep my foot on the accelerator.

So in my 350's case once again, when the driveshaft is out, it has a very stiff movement in the U-joint, thusly not moving as it should and creating the harmonic.

If you watch "The 350Z Shock" one of the test drivers even comments on the driveshaft harmonics. In most cases would be nothing to worry about.

Anyone know if the 06 350 has had any driveshaft changes made?

Also one thing that may cause a few problems as it has with my 350, is stones caught in the control arms. Get all wedged in and can upset the suspension.

Last edited by BRONZEE; 12-12-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2006 | 02:48 PM
Motormouth
Banned

well, I know the diff housing is different.
Old 12-05-2006 | 07:45 PM
capeland

Dealer took a look under the car today and has ordered new driveshafts left and right plus bushings for the diff. We will see if this works.
Old 12-06-2006 | 01:40 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Dealer took a look under the car today and has ordered new driveshafts left and right plus bushings for the diff. We will see if this works.
That's awesome capeland. When you say left and right, do you per chance mean the half shafts, rather than the driveshaft? Whichever PLEASE keep us posted!! I'm really pleased to see your dealer is onto it!!
Old 12-10-2006 | 12:28 AM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Sorry been away for days. How's the car handling now Capeland?? Any improvment??
Old 12-12-2006 | 04:04 AM
capeland

going to the dealer to have the work done in about 2 days time. Will let you know when the work is done.
Old 12-12-2006 | 07:51 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

going to the dealer to have the work done in about 2 days time. Will let you know when the work is done.
Good luck Capeland, I hope all goes well and your zed is fixed. Not a very pleasant feeling driving on stuffed half shafts or driveshaft.