Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Popping sound when doing slow sharp turns?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 11:17 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping sound when doing slow sharp turns?

I get this when doing three-point turn-arounds.....when going from forward to reverse, or vice-versa, with the wheels turned sharply.........if it is what i think it is, then i have a ball joint problem.......anyone else getting this?.......i now have 13K on my Z.......so this may be one of those late-bloomer problems, since its only been noticeable in the past 2000 miles or so
Old 04-11-2003, 05:02 AM
westpak
SFZCC

This has been posted various times, and I was one of the first to get it right after receiving the car last August.

The sound is coming from lose bolts on the upper control arm, they need to be tightened to the proper spec, when you have them fix the side that is doing it also have them check the other side as mine started on the other side shortly after having the original symptom fixed.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:26 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the same problem
what should i tell the dealer?
Old 04-12-2003, 04:03 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by XBS
i have the same problem
what should i tell the dealer?
Tell him that you hear the sound and when and to check the upper control arm bolts for proper torque and I bet they will be lose.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:43 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Ran into a Nissan Service Manager at the gas station.....he confirmed the loose bolts fix, and told me to bring it by his shop....they've got a tech there that's worked for Nissan for 20 years
Old 04-12-2003, 07:22 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Great, anyone else that gets such a sound don't hesitate and go to the dealer and point them in that direction if they are unaware, it is a simple fix. Trust me mine was the first one when I took it in in early September within 2 weeks of getting the car, they replaced the strut, control arms thinking it was a part they had the Nissan Rep involved and the fix happened when they replaced the Upper control arm last and that is how they found out it was the bolts and not any parts.

If you get it fixed have them check both sides as I got it on the opposite side within a month of getting the first side fixed.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:05 PM
calberda

I don't know if there is another post about the sound I have been hearing for the past 1500 miles or so, but I am going to ask it here.
I can hear a sound coming from what sounds to be my driver side front wheel area. I can hear it with the window down only, and it is most noticeable when next to another car, or a curb (obviously these things give the sound something to 'bounce' off of). When traveling in between 10-40+ mph I can here what seems to be a rattle, or maybe a squealing from the brakes (when they are not applied). It sounds as if the sensors are hitting the rotors causing this, but I know it is not. Sometimes it sounds if something is loose, others it just sounds like brake squeal....but I don't know what would be hitting the rotors if the brakes are not being applied. All in all, it is a mystery to me. But very annoying. I asked the dealer to take a look at it last week during an oil change, and of course, they found nothing wrong, nor could they recreate the sound....Any one have something similar?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2003, 04:41 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Thanks for this post. I think that must have been what I was experiencing on the passenger side during an autox today. I thought it might have been bushing or the sway bar.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:04 PM
YourMomma

Guys,
I think there have been several posts about this one.

1. Backing plate on brakes rubbing against something. If you search for "flathead" or "screwdriver" you'll probably find the thread.
2. Does it seem to be an on/off throttle issue? Try this. While travelling take your foot off the throttle. Coast for a second or two. Then modulate the throttle.

If you have this problem you'll hear the noise coincide with the throttle being pressed. This is the problem I have, with no resolution yet. Dealer claims, "can't reproduce". I'm taking them for a ride on Saturday.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:39 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

UPDATE: Got my popping sound fixed......loose bolts on the driver's side......got my alignment corrected.....toed out originally.....gotta hit up NNA about the tire replacement though....everything is wonderful, and the world is a beautiful place again
Old 04-25-2003, 11:49 PM
Vad

What are some good dealers down in So. Cal. area that u can recomend to get the bolt fix.... i need a good trustworthy one... and a person recomendation would be awsome to. thx.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Vad

bump^