Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2nd and 3rd grind badly

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 11:05 AM
BYOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2nd and 3rd grind badly

starting this week my 2nd and 3rd started grinding like mad.. I have around 4500km on the car so far.. no sign of any problem.. not once did I grind any of the gear in those 4500km. It started over the weekend.. at first I thought maybe I didn't get enough sleep and isn't paying attention to my shifting.. so I ignored it.. but then it's getting worse and worse.. today on my way to work I counted.. grinding about 5-6 times thru traffic.

I know some people are having the 3rd gear grind.. was it like this for you too? it started out with little and then eventually getting worse and worse? I glutch to the floor going from 1st to 2nd just to see if it's the glutch is the problem.. it doesn't seem to be. Sometime the gear will pop in.. sometime it just grind and then I let off and try again it'll go in.

I called my Nissan dealer and they said they haven't heard anything about the tranny grinding.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:51 AM
integrate

I get the 2-3 grind usually when my tranny is cold. It also started at around 1500 miles on the odometer for me.

All you need to do is double pump the clutch before you shift into 3rd and you won't get the grind. Simple as that.

You should try switching the transmission to either Redline or Motul. This should make the shifting smoother and help lessen the amount of grinding from 2nd to 3rd.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:07 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Your transmission should not be grinding like that.

Take the car to the dealer and reproduce the grinding, Then have your dealer call Nissan Tech, they no all about the problem. They will probably replace the transmission.

JD
Old 04-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Slexis200

i had the exact prob, and i got a new tranny. Happened again and im getting another new tranny. It should never happen ever, under any circumstance reguarless of fluids. Theyre lying if they say nissan doesnt know, becasue they gave me the same bs. Dont take it, tell them and say you need a tranny and clovis pin. I think mines just a lemmon, we'll see.......
Old 04-15-2003, 09:26 PM
integrate

Originally posted by Slexis200
i had the exact prob, and i got a new tranny. Happened again and im getting another new tranny. It should never happen ever, under any circumstance reguarless of fluids. Theyre lying if they say nissan doesnt know, becasue they gave me the same bs. Dont take it, tell them and say you need a tranny and clovis pin. I think mines just a lemmon, we'll see.......
I wouldn't say your tranny is a lemon, persay. The tranny grinding problem is pretty common among Z transmissions.

Transmission grinding is common is a lot of cars, ranging from the S4 to the S2000.

For the Z, it's usually when the transmission is just cold, so like I said before, just double pump the clutch before shifting. I doubt the tranny grind problem will be fixed for a while, on any of the Z trannies.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:12 AM
BYOB

I double clutch on downshift... but now I'll have to double clutch on upshift too? I thought the synchro should do all the job and double clutching isn't even necessary on down or up..

anyway I dropped the car off at the dealer this morning. the tech at the dealer managed to repeat the grinding 3-4 times during the short test drive... he said there's definitely something bad about the tranny it doesn't sound healthy
Old 04-16-2003, 10:05 AM
jvana350z

just curious... whats you VIN???
Old 04-17-2003, 10:56 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have kind of the same problem...mine grinds only into 3rd...moreso when cold but it also does it when warmed up. The weird thing is that it only does it on part throttle accel when I shift out of second between 2-3K on the tach...if I go WOT and shift hard and fast it never grinds.

NNA decided that they want to replace my trans...new one goes in on Monday.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Slexis200

If you were asking me? its #283
Old 04-17-2003, 04:15 PM
WashUJon

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I have kind of the same problem...mine grinds only into 3rd...moreso when cold but it also does it when warmed up. The weird thing is that it only does it on part throttle accel when I shift out of second between 2-3K on the tach...if I go WOT and shift hard and fast it never grinds.

NNA decided that they want to replace my trans...new one goes in on Monday.
What dealer is doing the work, Bri?
Old 04-17-2003, 07:19 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by WashUJon
What dealer is doing the work, Bri?
Continental in Countryside