Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rattling Noise Inside Trunk Hatch!!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:26 AM
XuperXero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Care to take out the panels piece by piece and start your car then rev a bit to find out which panel exactly it is? I'd like to keep my panels...
Old 04-16-2007, 06:58 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well leap tape is used for Cutting Lenses, its just dual sided tape with some cushion. I thought it went away but it didnt. I know when I put my hand on the Top Panel were the tail light is the noise goes away. Its coming from in there.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:05 PM
XuperXero

Little update:

I completely stripped the hatch area except the speaker panels and strut bar panels, and rattling is still there, but reduced.

However, to my surprise, while taking off the styrofoam in the hatch area, I found a numerous number of clips and screws underneath causing rattles. I also found a hatch shock bracket which the idiot dealership dropped in when replacing my hatch shocks under warranty. those ******s never bother to take it out leaving in a huge metallic rattle.

Even with all the stuff taken out, the rattle is still there, I'm beginning to think it might be the wiper motor or something underneath/inside the speaker panels.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to take out the speaker panel and wiper motor to see if it makes any difference.

Anyone else make some discoveries?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:08 AM
XuperXero

Bump, any updates guys?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:21 PM
simplypanda

I have the same exact problems after installing my exhaust. Did anyone take care of this?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:36 PM
faster than u

i have had twi 350z and both have done it, its anoying as ***
Old 06-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a rattle coming from the hatch as well. When going over certain bumps, it sounds like it is slightly of centered towards the passanger side but I think it's actually the hatch latch. One time it was rattling and I pulled over, popped the trunk and stuffed a rag between the catch hook and latch and it went away. Another time I simply opened the hatch and re closed it and it went away until I was haulin a$$ down a bumpy road then it came back.

I also had noticed that the hatch when closed seemed like it had a little play in it/loose. So I took off the interior panels where the cargo light is and one of the nuts to the catch had totally backed all the way out and was sitting on the bottom, under the spare tire. So I put it back on and re tightened all the other nuts and it fixed the slop but didn't get rid of the rattle.

I think in my case that it is the hatch gizmo itself that catches and locks the hook. Like the other guy said grease the hell out of that. I tried greasing and even put a layer of electrical tape to isolate the metal to metal contact from the hook and that didn't help, so I think it's the guts inside the release thing that is rattling.

I haven't had time to tear it apart but when I go on vacation next month I am going to spend the whole day tracking it down and fixing it once and for all.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 PM
gt3

I have a rattle near where you pointed out. It only occurs on uneven surfaces. It has been 3 years and still no luck in finding the problem. I gave up and turn up the stereo to drown it out.

Last edited by gt3; 06-03-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:49 PM
StraySheep

Hey gt3 and Chad68, I have the exact same problem as what you guys described.

My rattle is also located in the trunk area on the passenger side. Sounds just like something hitting against metal when you go over bumps at certain times. The rattle has been then ever since my Z had about 8,000 miles on it.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:56 PM
glowz825

HERE IS THE FIX...maybe...it worked for me anyway. The trunk lid striker, it is bolted to the trunk lid with two large phillips head bolts. Remove the striker latch. Then get a piece of tin foil and fold it to the thickness of a dime. Place the folded tin foil in between the bolt holes on the striker latch and bolt the the striker back in place and tighten the bolts..VERY TIGHT. Then take it for a test drive.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Kristi
I am Awesome

forget a rattle in the trunk i have a rattle up in my passenger side windshield... I dont know what it is but it just started happening, or i just started to notice....
Old 06-03-2007, 08:03 PM
glowz825

Originally Posted by glowz825
HERE IS THE FIX...maybe...it worked for me anyway. The trunk lid striker, it is bolted to the trunk lid with two large phillips head bolts. Remove the striker latch. Then get a piece of tin foil and fold it to the thickness of a dime. Place the folded tin foil in between the bolt holes on the striker latch and bolt the the striker back in place and tighten the bolts..VERY TIGHT. Then take it for a test drive.
The problem is a spot weld on the trunk lid right where the striker is at, by folding a piece of foil and placing it between the lid and the latch you simply compress the multiple pieces of metal together and eliminate the ticking/metallic noise. It took me 2 months to find it
Old 06-03-2007, 08:25 PM
XuperXero

any pics? I don't know which part is the striker...
Old 06-03-2007, 08:31 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by XuperXero
any pics? I don't know which part is the striker...
+1 a pic would be great...also did your noise sound like it was coming from the rear passager side or the middle of the trunk?
Old 06-03-2007, 09:53 PM
glowz825

Originally Posted by gt3
+1 a pic would be great...also did your noise sound like it was coming from the rear passager side or the middle of the trunk?
Yes it did sound like it was coming from the passenger side but the sound is decieving. I had my fiance ride in my trunk to pin point the problem I do not have a camera but if you open your trunk its the part that looks like a squared loop and you have to remove the panel that covers the rear wiper motor to access the part there you will see the striker.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Chad68

The problem is a spot weld on the trunk lid right where the striker is at, by folding a piece of foil and placing it between the lid and the latch you simply compress the multiple pieces of metal together and eliminate the ticking/metallic noise. It took me 2 months to find it

Maybe I will give this a try before I strip it all down. I suppose you could use teflon/plastic washers instead of tinfoil?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:18 PM
xkevon

i have the same noise problem in the trunk as well
i have the invidia n1 exhaust
but anyways i just bump the music cause theres too many rattle noises everywhere front and back
Old 06-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Chad68

Originally Posted by XuperXero
Little update:

I completely stripped the hatch area except the speaker panels and strut bar panels, and rattling is still there, but reduced.

However, to my surprise, while taking off the styrofoam in the hatch area, I found a numerous number of clips and screws underneath causing rattles. I also found a hatch shock bracket which the idiot dealership dropped in when replacing my hatch shocks under warranty. those ******s never bother to take it out leaving in a huge metallic rattle.

Even with all the stuff taken out, the rattle is still there, I'm beginning to think it might be the wiper motor or something underneath/inside the speaker panels.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to take out the speaker panel and wiper motor to see if it makes any difference.

Anyone else make some discoveries?

I have the hatch rattle if it's the same as yours and I don't have the rear wiper on the car.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:00 PM
StraySheep

I just tried what you said, but the ticking metallic noise is still there. It must be something else.

Before this, I striped down the passenger side inside of trunk to see if any thing was loose, but did not find anything either. However, after removing the inside panels on the passenger side, I did notice that the ticking metallic noise got a bit louder. Therefore, I am guessing the noise has to be coming from the bottom or the side of the trunk and not the hatch area.

Since I did not find anything inside, the noise could be coming from the outside passenger side of the car. Around inside of the C-pillar or close the the fuel cap area inside the car.

Still search for a solution to his ticking metallic noise. Please post your findings.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:12 PM
roz350z

same problem here.....i was just thinking it was the hangar rattling or something

Quick Reply: Rattling Noise Inside Trunk Hatch!!?!?