Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rattling Noise Inside Trunk Hatch!!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Gag83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Majininu
Hey guys,

I have been follwing this forum for a long time and i am freakin going nuts.

I have a 2007 350z and this "rattle" started not to long ago. It only happens when i hit bumps or dips. It is defenantly coming from the back. Thought it was the Hatch.

I took out everything from the back except the panneling and had 2 people climb back there at 2 dfferent times and they both said it was comming from the outside.

My Rattle is kinda loud but very noticeable and only over bumps! Help please!
I have taken it to the Dealership like 4 times and nothing!

Quick Note: A rattle some of you may have is next to the Latch for the Hatch is the Electronic Contoller that may give you that ticking rattle sound.
Remove the Panel to get to it. It's easy.
I have the same exact problem, rattle and squeak when i go over bumps. was there a solution to this?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Majininu

I have not found one solution for me yet but here are a few that im going to try.

#1: If it's your Hatch try checking the Hatch springs, some people have the broken. Twist and take them off (very easy) then gor for a drive. If you here something, that not it.

I tried this...............nothin

#2: This is a how to fix a Latch in the Hatch problem:
http://www.350zdashtech.com/forums/i...howtopic=29876
(replace "dash" with "-")

Haven't tried this................but don't think thats my problem

#3: This is a fix that I am going to try next: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2008-n...g-in-rear.html

Quote from SOZ: "Same problem in my 07. Service manager and mechanic checked it and said it was right rear shock bracket bushing tube and seal had excessive play. They replaced - Rod Connecting, Bush rear shock, bracket assy-sh, tube rr mounting, seal-shock abso and nut. All under warranty and the clunk/rattle or whatever you name it was gone and things are quiet as can be now except for usual exhaust noises and stuff. I'll post the part numbers from the work order if you like. "

Quote from SOZ: "OK.... here are the parts that they replaced and I haven't heard the thump since.

1 - 54618-EG01A - Rod Connecting
1 - 56218-AG000 - Bush-Rear Shock
1 - 55322-AL500 - Bracket Assy-SH
1 - 55323-AR00A - Tube - RR - Mounting
1 - 55338-AL500 - Seal-Shock ABSO
1 - 55269-4U00A - Nut "

I'm working on this as we speak to get this done........I hope this is it!

GUYS, try any of these and let me know ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Majininu

Originally Posted by Gag83
I have the same exact problem, rattle and squeak when i go over bumps. was there a solution to this?
I do know that one think that sqeeks is the Strut Bar Platic cover in the Hatch, the one with a big Z on it.

That could just be part of your problems.

try the stuff i listed above and let me know
Old 02-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Majininu

Default Update!!!!!! 02/04/2009

UPDATE!!!!!!!

07' 350Z STOCK

PARTS:
1 - 54618-EG01A - Rod Connecting $22.83
1 - 56218-AG000 - Bush-Rear Shock $15.18
1 - 55322-AL500 - Bracket Assy-SH $42.16
1 - 55323-AR00A - Tube - RR - Mounting $13.23
1 - 55338-AL500 - Seal-Shock ABSO $33.50
1 - 55269-4U00A - Nut " $2.00
-------------------------------------and $210 for labor! at the DEALERSHIP!!!
These part are for the HATCH SHOCKS!

Drive with the Hatch up and if it makes the noise, its not the hatch.

I thought it would be the rear suspesion parts but they are not.

My problem only happens going over bumps and is getting worse.
I have had 2 people climb in the back and both said it is comming from the outside. My brother put pressure agianst the hatch while in the back and still the noise was there
I drove with the hatch up and the noise was still there

I need more suggestions please HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Majininu

Default Update to the Update

CORRECTION!!!!!!!!

The part # 55338-AL500 is a Rear Strut Gasket that is causing my problem!!!!

I went today to have it replaced and they do not want to fix it under the Warrenty!!!!!

They wanted to charge me those BASTERDS!

I called another dealership to check the part and it is for the suspesion!

I called NISSAN and they are going to escalate the issue because I told them to either give me a new car or fix my car.

I'll let you know how it goes when they call me back tomorrow
Old 02-16-2009, 07:01 PM
zman600

i have the hks exhaust. (dual)
i have the rattle at 3000ish rpm and its coming from the exhaust tapping the rear diff a little. fixing it soon this weekend. all i got to do is adjust it over.
hope some yall out i helped out. i know most of yall say its from the hatch but mines coming from the passenger side pipe as it passes by the rear diff and it >sounds< like its coming from the hatch.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:22 AM
2fasst

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zman600
i have the hks exhaust. (dual)
i have the rattle at 3000ish rpm and its coming from the exhaust tapping the rear diff a little. fixing it soon this weekend. all i got to do is adjust it over.
hope some yall out i helped out. i know most of yall say its from the hatch but mines coming from the passenger side pipe as it passes by the rear diff and it >sounds< like its coming from the hatch.

perfecT! I have the same exhaust and the annoying sound started after my install. Let me check mine out. thanks !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this is what has been rattling in my Z:

It makes a bit of noise when I move it around with my hand that is similar to the clunking noise I hear when driving over slight bumps. On the freeway my car is like a clunkathon or some ****. The driver-side one is tight, but the passenger-side one seems loose. I'm going to investigate further tomorrow.

Also...I put two folded t-shirts inbetween the hatch and bumper on both sides, and it prevented the hatch from fully closing, although it latched partially. When I did this the noise went away. I stopped, took the t-shirts out, and closed the hatch and went back over the same road and the noise was back. The noise is definitely something hatch-related, not suspension, in my case.

Has anyone had problems with these things before and replaced them to get rid of the noise?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:45 PM
J. Dub

Mine isn't my hatch. It's coming from some where in the suspension (rear) I've removed every item in the hatch. I've even drove around with my hatch lifted up and I still hear the rattle/creek
Has anyone had any solution?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Dub
Mine isn't my hatch. It's coming from some where in the suspension (rear) I've removed every item in the hatch. I've even drove around with my hatch lifted up and I still hear the rattle/creek
Has anyone had any solution?
Sounds like what most of us have, here is the thread that details it:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...in-rear-6.html
Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 PM
J. Dub

Has anyone tried the evap canisters shield? Mine came loose and was cause of rattle.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:42 PM
jahz41

Originally Posted by XuperXero
I took off the 3rd brake light plastic, rattle's still there. I think it's originating from the plastic pieces behind the speaker under our quarter windows. That piece moves freely.
Mine has a rattle somewhere around there too!
What could the rattling be?
and it seems like we gotta get in deep and remove a lot of the interior just to get to this part.
anyone else dealing with this problem?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 PM
J. Dub

Does it sound like a plastic rattle or metal? Mine sounds metal. Yet when it's over 95 degrees outside I can't hear it anymore. Below 95 I hear the rattle.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:20 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I like most have the rattle

my trunk is stripped except for the plastic pieces that line the hatch and the brim of the trunk, other than that nothing is back there

what I've done

stripped the hatch used reualr black sealant on all the clips and put it back together

less noise

wrapped tape around the hatch metal latch thingy.. making it a little diffcult to close the hatch

less noise

now when driving I know for a fact it's on the passenger side

is driving me nuts cause my car is stiff as hell so any thing on the roads recreates this noise is it sounds like the car is about to fall apart...

any new updates from anybody else?

o I don't have remove wiper
The following users liked this post:
Desert Z (04-04-2018)
Old 09-16-2010, 06:11 AM
J. Dub

KingB,
I have everything removed out of my hatch. All trim pieces.
I've driven with my hatch open, and still get noise.
I've removed the rear wiper/motor
I've layed my 6ft 3 self in the back with everything removed (I don't recommend) and I still have the sound that seems to come from outside under floor.
It sounds metal to metal. I can get it over big bumps or ruts in road or I can get the noise on smooth as glass road that has a hairline crack in it not even big enough to stick your finger through. If there are no cracks in the road and no pot holes or anything I do not get the noise.
I've adjusted my hatch lock mechanism and wrapped tape around my hatch U shaped metal thing that goes into the hatch lock. I even sprayed litium grease in there and still get the noise.
I've tried the rubber band trick on my hatch struts. Still get noise.

What do I plan to do next?
-I'm leaving my hatch open. I'm not going to place the pieces back in there till I cure the noise. I've read that the rear suspension was changed up just a tad in 2006. So I'm going to attempt to find 2003-2005 pieces on numbers 11, 14, 1, 4, 16, 25, 2, & 5 in the pic below (disregard what's circled)
If that fails I'll lay down some sound dead'n product throughout the whole hatch/trunk. If I still hear the issue with radio off I'm going to file for a lemon law. My Jeep wrangler that is a 2006 and I beat the hell out of off road doesn't make this much noise.
And yes, like others, with the radio and turned up I don't hear the noise. But there are times that I have my girl ride with me and want to have a conversation with her about how she should make sandwiches and I can't/get embarrassed when all sorts of metal rattles are coming from passenger side rear... Sometimes driver side rear.

For some more reading on the rattle check this https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...g-in-rear.html

Last edited by J. Dub; 09-16-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:30 AM
J. Dub

Also it doesn't matter if I'm going 10 miles an hour or 90.

However, if I go up my driveway, there is no noise.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:57 PM
shimmy1993

idk wat mine is but only hear it when i back out on my drive way! my drive way is a kinda hill and it rattles feels like something is moving but thats the only time!

n e idea wat it is?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,303 Likes on 1,658 Posts

My car the heat shield is removed , wiper and motor removed and the trim around the rear window removed. When my carpet is removed i have one hell of a rattle, thought it was my harness so i wrapped it in a towel , no dice. Can only hear it with the carpet out and can't find anything in the trunk, very metalic , like something metal is sitting in the bottem of the spare tire well.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 AM
TheBlue350z

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i got a rattle noise behind the passanger rear seat/trunk area. its noticeable around idle and up to 3500 rpms. i took off most of the panels in the trunk and found nothing. does anyone know where this could be coming from. the rattle noise is pretty loud.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:12 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no one fixed this after all 6 pgs?lol.
I have sqeaks from the rear strut bar cover. I wiggle it and it sounds same as when i hear while driving. So i stuffed in tissues under the cover so that it doesn't wiggle, no more sqeaky sound.
I do have horrible rattle noise right above the VDC button. I press on the cover when rattles, it goes away. Anyone know what could be rattling above the vdc button? I wrapped the clip but still the same

Quick Reply: Rattling Noise Inside Trunk Hatch!!?!?