Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Drip Sound after Engine turns off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 11:47 PM
TOomuCHpower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drip Sound after Engine turns off?

I don't use my AC...and after I turn off my engine, I always hear a dripping sound. Does anyone else have this prob? I've heard all Nissan's have this and that its not a problem...can anyone else confirm?
Old 04-18-2003, 07:26 AM
WashUJon

I always get the drip sounds no matter what, and I also hear a very regular popping sound every few seconds. It sounds like metal contracting or something. I thought it might be the exhaust pipes doing that, but I also hear it when I'm stopped at a light. I suppose it could still just be the exhuast pipes expanding and contracting...
Old 04-18-2003, 07:28 AM
djkern
Banned

i don't get either of those sounds....or i could just be deaf?? but, no, i don't hear the popping or the dripping sounds.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:34 AM
AllUZ

<------ Also hears "poping" sound...ting...ting....ting...ahhh...drive me nuts. Kinda embarassing when you shut your car off and everyones already looking.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:39 AM
TOomuCHpower

Its like a ritual now...I drive home from work, sit on my steps, have a ciagarette, listen to the dripping sounds, wondering if there's something wrong...and I cant blame it on the AC cuz I never use it! It sounds pretty loud too, like there's some kind of fluid dripping slowly on a metal pan...
Old 04-18-2003, 11:04 AM
WashUJon

Well, I haven't mentioned it before because I figured people would think I was nuts! But when you guys mention the same sounds, especially the ting...ting...ting... I'm glad I'm not the only one. I still don't know if its anything to worry about. I've been freaking out that it might be an oil or fluid leak somewhere, but as far as I can tell, no oil is being lost. I'll try to take a good look in the sunlight as soon as the weather clears up here. Why don't you guys take a look and see if you spot any oil leaks and such?
Old 04-18-2003, 12:16 PM
justlurking

Are you guys daft? The "ting-ting" sounds are your catalytic converter cooling off.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:33 PM
WashUJon

Originally posted by justlurking
Are you guys daft? The "ting-ting" sounds are your catalytic converter cooling off.
That's exactly what I assumed it was, but its pretty damn loud and it seems to "cool off" even while idling at a stoplight.

There's a LOT of fluid dripping sound and the ting, which must be the cat expanding and retracting, is DAMN loud... like drippety drip drip drip drippety TING! drip drip drippety drip TING! drip... etc.

I didn't think much of it for a while, but the more I heard it, the more I wondered how normal it was...
Old 04-22-2003, 09:35 PM
s9am_me

It's most likely the oil dripping onto the oil pan. I hear it in the front of my car.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:00 PM
BAEZ

Red face

I just went over 1,000 miles and I have the same issues. At first I thought it kind of sounded like a dripping sound but last night as I was inching into my garage after driving home on the highway it was definitely more of a popping and crackling sound. So loud that I shut her off and got down on the floor to see what was going on. It sure sounded like it was coming from my catalytic converter. It stopped after a few minutes. However, does this seem normal? I called Nissan and they said that it could just be "breaking in" but if I wanted to I could bring it in.