Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Doing my first oil change tomorrow and want to double check...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Zshazz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Doing my first oil change tomorrow and want to double check...

Hey there guys... I've got a 2007 350z with ~1200 miles on it, and I'm going to do the oil change tomorrow so that my friend can assist me before he goes back up to Pennsylvania. Plus, I'm going to use his Rhino Ramps

I looked at the other threads on the matter, but I just want to check up on a few things before I do this.

1. The oil I'm going to use is Mobile 1 0w40 ... getting 6 qts (putting ~5qt in, keeping the rest for top-off). I also plan on "flushing" the car by putting .1 qt in with the drain plug out, just so it'll get any last bit that is lingering in there ... is that alright / good to do?

2. The oil filter I'm going to use is Mobile 1 M-110. Sound right? Furthermore, how tight does the filter need to be on? I saw it recommended "3/4th a turn after the filter makes contact with the base" ... just wanted to make sure that was correct, seeing as it is kinda hard to judge how much tq you're putting on it...

3. I've seen little magnet things you stick on the oil filter, which collects smaller particles that the oil filter misses... anyone have an opinion on that? Heres a link to show what I'm talking about: http://www.filtermag.com/tech.php

4. I'm planning on replacing the oil drain plug with a Fram SureDrain SD3 ... is that correct? Is the tq specifications for it the same as the stock drain plug? (I'd assume so, from common sense ... but just wanted to make sure ). Also, is this an item that Autozone or Advance Auto Parts might have?

5. I'm going to take an oil sample just for the hell of it ... but my oil sample kit won't be here for a few more days... I'm wondering what kind of oil sample container Blackstone Labs uses, so I can just put it in there and send it off in that as soon as it comes in. I was thinking about going to the hobby store and picking up one of those ~4 oz containers that people use to mix/store paint in (looks kinda like the bottles that Zaino has in their ZFX kit)... I figured that it would be very similiar to the bottle used by Blackstone, am I correct?

6. What temperature should I warm the engine up to so that I avoid being burned, but still hot enough to let the oil flow? eg. 1/8th the gauge? Or is the temperature reached by simply getting up on the ramps going to be sufficient?

7. Finally, what all should I check while the car is on the ramps? I figured I might as well give the front-end of the car a quick inspection while I wait for the oil to completely drain. I'm not a DIY geek just yet (just a newb), so could you briefly describe it?

Thanks guys
Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 PM
stalarman@yahoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i stopped reading at question 3... dude you wrote an essay
Old 07-27-2007, 09:16 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you have got this down to a science. You are the official my350Z.com

Oil Change Pro.

Last edited by davidv; 07-27-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Zshazz

Haha, thanks guys...

I guess the most important things are ... what do you think of the oil filter magnet, what do you think about the Fram SureDrain SD3, and what should I look at under the car while I'm under there?

The rest is me triple checking to make sure I do everything right
Old 07-28-2007, 07:51 AM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

hand tight on the filter, do snug then 1/4 turn more.dont overtighten it, youll crush the gasket on the filter and render it inop. same with the drain plug but only hand tight and let it go. hate to snap it.blackstone uses a black case for the outside bottle and a small clear one to fit in it with a plastic bag to encircle the small one that holds the oil.dont get the first bit of oil that comes out, get it inbetween.and just llok everything over, check to see if anything looks missing like clips etc. being 1200 k on it there wont be much to llok at unless youve hit something.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:03 PM
JonsilvZ

The manual says tighten the filter 20ft lbs trq on the plug. 10ft on the filter.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:52 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Dude,.....it's an Oil change....not a Vasectomy !

Please.....Don't hurt yourself !
Old 10-06-2007, 07:31 PM
roxtarinc
Banned

Originally Posted by fithamoto
Dude,.....it's an Oil change....not a Vasectomy !

Please.....Don't hurt yourself !

with all the questions he asked i wouldnt be surprised to see a follow up thread titled "i was doing an oil change and blew up my engine"

jk man good luck
Old 10-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by Zshazz

what do you think about the Fram SureDrain SD3, and what should I look at under the car while I'm under there?

i had one of those installed for a while and returned it for refund. Save your money.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Mazinger Z

Sometimes people mess up doing installs/maintainence by making it harder than it is. Since it's your first oil change, try to make it simple. Forget all the extra stuff, just drain, change filter, and fill up. Get used to this first then do all that other stuff at a later oil change. This is just IMO of course.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes ---This is not rocket science, although good to see you are conciensus.Warm your oil for 2 minutes or so. Forget the drain.. whatever majigger. The magnet is a gimick...forget it also. Dab a little oil on the filter rubber, I just dip my finger in the drain oil and lube it rather than screwin with opening a new qt.

Just let your eyes wander when your under the car as far as chking things.

I just jack up the left side of the car 1) Takes half the time 2) your drain is on the right, so all the oil runs out.

Disclaimer: use a jack stand