Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Crazy automatic window roll up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 07:52 AM
mauricio1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Crazy automatic window roll up.

Does anyone else have this problem??????????

CRAZY WINDOW.. description:
on any given day I pull up the button on my automatic window roll up on my driver window from any position the window is in,
and it will go all the way up but as soon as it hits the top of the door it will roll itself down to about half the travel lengh, driving me crazy since it only does it on a blue moon, sometimes I can repeat the problem up to five times on a row, but it doesn't do it when I try to show my wife, so I don't even want to take it to the dealer since I know its not going to do it there. Can someone tell me if they have seen this before I go crazy and make my window a manual with crank and everything(J/K).
Old 05-13-2003, 08:31 AM
Natal

Some of us are having a similar problem. Check the following thread LINK

I have the same problem, but on the passenger window. It started acting up last week, when the temperatures climbed into the mid-90s. Yesterday it got worse. The window rolled down a third of the way on its own. The window rolled down after driving around on a very hot day, and parking the car in my garage. This time I tried to lift it by pulling constantly on the power switch, but it kept rolling down after reaching the top.

It was too late to call my Nissan dealer, so I contacted them today. I mentioned the grease TSB, but they were not aware of it. They told me to take the car in for a look. At first they thought it was the remote control. The've had similar behavior on other cars, but they've corrected the problem by taking out the battery and insering it back in. However, they ruled this out since this behavior occurs on both windows simultaneously, and I'm just having problems with the passenger side.

They think they will have to readjust the sensitivity on the internal switch that controls the passenger window. The heat is probably expanding the parts and activating the sensor swith. However, they will fix it when the part to fix the grease streak comes in (on National backorder from Nissan). They don't want to mess around with the same door panel twice (adjust switch now and then do the grease fix on a different day).

They managed to keep the window from rolling down by lifting the power window switch and then activating the window lock button after it reached the top. I hadn't thought of doing that, but it worked!

The dealer says the grease fix parts should be delivered in about 4 days. If it takes longer, then it will be up to me to decide if I should get the switch adjusted before the grease fix. If I can keep the window up by using the lock switch, then I'll wait as long as I have to on the backordered grease fix parts (for both doors). I don't want excessive handling of the door panels. It was bad enough being my dealer's guinea-pig for the Bose fix, now I'll be the first one for the grase fix and sensor switch, too.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:33 AM
jeffw

I have the exact same problem!

The temporary solution that I'm using is to "tap" the window switch in small increments. If you do this, auto-up does not turn on (you just have to be quick about the increments). You can get the window closed at least using this method.

My belief is that auto-up is messed up somehow. I think it's backing up as if it hit an unexpected object like fingers.

--
Jeff
Old 05-15-2003, 03:49 PM
ATC Ken

Same problem for me...and just started today! Driver side window, auto up gets window to the top and then it goes back down midway and stops. I can also keep the window up by holding the switch. And I just had my car serviced this morning - didn't notice the problem until later in the day. Guess this is a sensor glitch for those of us in "HOT" cities (Houston here). I'll be anxious to see what the fix is. I'll take mine back to the dealer for this but I might as well wait to see if anything else needs attention and combine the trip in.

Ken
Old 05-29-2003, 05:28 PM
BROKE

It was 107 when I got home from work yesterday and I parked the Z in the garage with the both windows closed. This morning I rolled both windows down and drove to work. When I got to work the passenger window rolled up but the drivers window would not budge. I could hear the relay in the door "click" when I tried to roll the window up so I know this is not a fuse problem. Dropped the Z off at the dealer and the service advisor talked about "sensitivity adjustments" and thinks he will have the car fixed before the weekend (tomorrow). Was 106 here today with howling dusty winds this afternoon. I hope they keep the Z in their service bay over night. This problem sounds like it is heat related reading through these posts.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:58 PM
FBlade1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem here. Started when the weather warmed up. Window auto up and then down a third. Also every now and then when I turn the car on the window automatically goes down a third. Dealer knows and is going to fix it.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:49 AM
hwj

I have this problem on occasion with the driver's side window rolling down about half way on days the car is parked at work and it's hot outside. On sunny cooler days it does not happen.

I mentioned this to the dealer when it was in for service last week and they thought it may be a memory problem or that the parts are expanding just enough to trigger the auto-down/non finger-cutting-off safety feature. They think the window may need a bit of an adjustment to rectify.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:10 AM
ATC Ken

Is there a TSB on this yet? I'm having the auto roll down a third of the way problem (yep on hot days).

Ken
Old 05-31-2003, 06:59 PM
BROKE

An update on my window problem. My service advisor and his Z mechanic decided to replace the driver's side window motor after they experienced erratic window behaviors while trying to make adustments. Should have the Z back on Monday or Tuesday. They gave me a Daewoo to drive over the weekend. What a piece of #####.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:42 PM
ndriver

I've been having the problem for about 2 weeks now, I'm taking it to a dealer this wed, i just hope i can reproduce the problem when i'm there.

In my case the problem started on a really hot day, after that it has re-occoured on all weather conditions, but i can never re-produce it consistently.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:33 PM
ndriver

I could not re-produce the regulator problem i 'm not sure what to do about it.

I went in with a list of complaints/problems and the only problem they looked at was the tire-feathering issue

They've ordered parts to fix the creaking driver seat, and the passanger side visor rattle so I'll be going back in a few weeks.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:24 AM
Zrated

I had the same window problem,and took it to the dealer. They made an adjustment and the problem is gone. It is a very simple fix. If you haven't taken your car in for this you should.