Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Baby iz Zick - Clanking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 AM
blackzman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Baby iz Zick - Clanking Noise

03 with 25,000 miles driven on week-ends...Driving home yesterday 1 mile from home I heard a loud clanking noise. Pull into garage and turn off the car, check oil and there is oil on stick at the "H" mark. Start car up and noise starts...standing in front of engine noise comes from a location near the firewall towards the rear of the engine...Plan to tow to dealer on Monday....any ideas or thoughts is appreciated. thanx
Old 08-12-2007, 07:42 AM
BJX
Banned

Hmm... Start it up, put it into netrual and give it a gas a few times, be sure to redline it once or twice, report back if you still hear the noise after this diagnostic
Old 08-12-2007, 07:51 AM
blackzman

Hey BJX...the clanking was still there when I had it in neutral....not as low but still there. It seemed like it was subsiding at times...at one point when I took my foot off the gas the engine die. Doesn't sound as loud however still there. thanks
Old 08-12-2007, 07:52 AM
BJX
Banned

alright yeah, might want to get that checked out

other members should be able to help you out further from here

GL on your Z!!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:04 AM
blackzman

thanz again
Old 08-12-2007, 09:05 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your belts? Waterr pump? Your altenator will make clicking sound when it is on it's way out. It would increase and decrease due to the belts spinning faster and slower. If it is going out it would cause your car to stall also. Let us know what they find.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:06 AM
blackzman

will do....thanx Hondakiller
Old 08-15-2007, 04:44 AM
blackzman

Hi, the dealer is telling me that I drove the car thru water...which is a bunch of bull....car does leave the garage if there is a chance of rain and only gets driven on 2 days a week. The mechanic tells him the car has water in the oil and the air filter is "damp" and a new engine is necessary. To my knowledge they have not examined the engine. Service manager says the water may have gotten there from a drive thru car wash I went thru on "Monday"...the car didn't start clanking until that following Saturday on the way home after I sat with it running for 15 minutes waiting on a take-out order. Any ideas on how the water could have been introduced would be greatly appreciated. Thanx
Old 08-15-2007, 05:00 AM
jtabraham

change the oil and take it to another dealer.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:08 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

it would be pretty hard to get outside water inside the blocks oil. I mean if it entered the air filter you would have hydrolocked the engine before anything. I could see condensation building up over time, but enough to dilute the oil enough to bend a rod? doubt it.... sounds like they are copping out on your engine replacement to me. As mentioned above, change the oil and take it to another dealer.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:34 AM
blackzman

jtabraham - hondakiller...

Thanks for the advice and words of comfort...feel like I'm going thru hell on this..... I had the car taken to the first dealer on a flat bed...will take your advice and do the same in order to get it to the next dealer.

Thanks Z-Bros, will be in touch
Old 08-15-2007, 04:46 PM
blackzman

jtabraham - hondakiller....one thing though...i'm going to have to replace the engine...is the damaged engine my property or will the dealership refuse to release it to me ???
thanx
Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 AM
jtabraham

Has another dealership confirmed that the the damage is excessive enough to warrant full replacement? Is it going to be covered under your warranty?

If replaced under warranty, I believe you don't have a right to the old engine. If you buy a replacement outright, the old engine is yours...you have to make sure the dealer understands that you want it.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:22 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

As mentioned above, if they replace the engine under warranty they own the old engine. In which they will probably rebuild and sell to someone else, or tear down the block for "replacement parts" in which they will charge the warranty for new products when used ones are going in your car. Thats on the down low though.... lol
Old 08-16-2007, 09:25 AM
blackzman

jtabraham - hondakiller....

We're talking with the Corporate Regional Manager this afternoon to ask questions as to what is covered under an "Extended Warranty". Part of the conversation will concern who gets the engine in the event damages are not covered by the warranty and the insurance cuts the check for the replacement engine. thanx will keep you posted
Old 08-16-2007, 11:59 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

i have USP extended warranty are bull****, but they usually cover "part failures due to manufacturing defect" No less and definatly no more... lol Keep us posted.