Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

squealing sound when tapping accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 07:31 AM
raymanZ
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squealing sound when tapping accelerator

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.

When I hit the accelerator, rather than slowly ease into it, I hear a squealing sound for a split second coming from the engine bay. Even when I have it in idle and not in any gear, I can hear it when tapping the accelerator (particularly loud in a parking lot or garage). Any ideas what this could be? Perhaps a squeaking throttle actuator valve?

I'm going to take it to the dealer next week because I can always hear it when reapplying the throttle after a gear change when accelerating, and its really getting annoying.

RaymanZ
Old 05-20-2003, 06:11 PM
lmalmud

I have the same problem! I posted on some other threads but it didn't seem like anyone else had the same exact problem until now. It seems to do it more when the engine is cold, and as it warms up it seems less frequent. With mine, sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time it is when I have engaged the clutch and am letting it out and hitting the gas at the same time.
I have taken it to the dealer and have had a hard time replicating the problem. I finally got it to do it with a tech in the car, but he didn't know what the cause was. He looked at the car on the lift, but assured me that it wasn't anything to be concerned about, especially because of the inconsistency of the problem. He thought it might be a bushing of somekind rubbing in the driveshaft assembly when the clutch engages, but again he wasn't sure. If you take it in and they actually know what the problem is, please let me know because it's freakin annoying and embarrasing when it does make that noise!
Old 05-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Ohio350z

Default I have same problem

I have the same problem, I sent both of you a PM and I want to call with evidence that this is hapening in other cars. Dealer told me Nissan is aware of the complaints but they haven't admitted there is a problem according to my dealer.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Canadian350Z

I posted this issue a few months back.... I'll see if I can find the thread...
Old 05-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Canadian350Z

Found it...

Somthing about normal Throttle-Body Operation...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=18682

Hope it helps...
Old 05-29-2003, 09:18 AM
raymanZ
Site Sponsor

Default true

I agree with the link.

I thoroughly invesitigated this with a friend and we isolated the noise from the intake duct. Its the sound of AIR!!!!!

In retrospect, I think its kind of neat, you can muffle that whistling sound by placing your hand over the intake in front of the air filter (dont try it too many times, I cant imagine its good for the car).

This is indeed normal since its simply the sound of the air resonanating through the initial opening of the throttle actuator. I actually checked the latter at it seems fine also (i.e. no noises from the springs or valves).

Oh well, I'm fin with it knowing that its normal! Hope this is the same noise you guys are hearing anf nothing more serious

RaymanZ
Old 05-29-2003, 08:31 PM
Ohio350z

Thanks for posting. The dealer was giving me a run around on this. At first they claimed they didn't hear it, then they said people were complaining. Mine sounds almost like a bearing is going bad which had me worried. You explanation makes sense, thanks.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:19 PM
lmalmud

Now I'm not sure I'm experiencing the same thing as the rest of you. My noise almost sounds like someone that is behind you at a stoplight and gives you a quick "honk" of the horn to tell you to go. It isn't a squeak or a air intake sound. I do have the intake "swoosh" sound, but that is only since I put my Injen CAI on. Anybody having the same "honking" sound?