Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sputtering During Warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:10 AM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 108NismoZ
just stumbled on to this thread today and was shocked at how long this has been going on. i have just recently noticed by car doing this. had it at hamilton nissan last week for about 2 days and actually had to show them what it was doing. fortunately was able to duplicate it. similar to everyone else if you let my vehicle sit for approx 3 hours and then drive it within the first few minutes of starting the vehicle the hisitation/detonation/fuel cut occurs. so far nissan has discovered a lean condition but unsure of why it is occuring. i will be dropping my vehicle off again on monday to allow them to figure this out. i have had fujita dual air intakes on my vehicle which were i believe the first version with there breather tubes do not align correctly. the intakes are installed properly (installed myself) and i also eliminated the one black breather box by the passanger intake (just recently removed). i have had the intakes on for awhile and just started noticing the issue. i also have stillen headers, r-tech hi flow cats, and a customer cat back exhaust system.

to the response of the water in the fuel tank it has been in my experience with mitsubishi vehicles that water in the gas tank would exhibit a concern more so than just during the first few minutes of warm-up cycle. i have not tried a gas drier myself and have also run octane booster especially days at the trank and haven't seen much of a change in the vehicles behavior. my wife is also experiencing the same issue with her (that i had noticed).

hopefully if everyone is still having this issue if the nissan dealer locally in md can figure this out we can all have a resolve. now i do remember one of the guys at nissan reading up and i don't know if heard him correctly but there is a normal fuel cut build into the system on these vehicles. i don't know if he was talking specifically about the nismo or all vq35hr's in general. at first i thought i had a wheel bearing going out because i was having a similar issue prior with the vehicle when i had a wheel bearing going out. unfortunately all the wheel bearings where tight and of course was not the issue.

oxygen sensor is a possible causes, as i do agree w/ the tps theory, the maf theory. all of these components could act up and not cause a code to come on. just a matter of time on pinpointed the root failure. will keep everyone posted on my progress this coming week with nissan and again hopefully we can get some resolve

(driving 2007 nismo z with approx 15,000 miles on it, using 93 octane with occassional octane booster, and currently running motul v300 since track day)
if you scroll back to one of my lengthy posts putting the fuel/air mixture sensor at fault, the dealer took my fujitas off and put back the stock intakes along with a brand new fuel/air mixture sensor and it didn't fix the problem. I'm at 29k miles and i'm just hoping something is resolved before i hit 36k.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:18 AM
108NismoZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah it took me awhile to read through everything but i told my dealer that i am not willing to remove a/m components for them to test. a/m components are not at fault. i'm actually a consultant with a mitsubishi dealership in maryland so i know that technicians sometimes get unwilling to work on a car if it's not factory specific because they just don't want to dick around with the a/m components. i'm going to have someone get this thread over to one of the guys working with my car on monday that way they can read through it and see how much of an issue this is. if there is a problem with a mis-monitor by one of the maf's or 02 sensors then the likely hood of an update in the near future would be possible (i've seen that before with mitsubishi vehicles). also i have seen on older obd (not obd2) vehicle where an 02 sensor caused a similar driveability issue yet didn't show a code. so an 02 sensor is not too far out of the ball park. i guess we will wait and see i'm just hoping they can figure out something because just like everyone else on here my thought is that the car wasn't doing this when i bought it and it shouldn't be doing it now.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:10 PM
stylett9

cool, Goodluck!! Alot of has have had cracks at this with no luck so hopefully something good will come of this.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by Profink
Hopefully this works for everyone. Good luck.

-Doug
if this doesn't work we should also check the radiator fluid.. and I hope is not an infiltration of coolant into the cylinders...
a small crack will "self seal" as head build up... but looks too weird.

oil doesn't make the engine sputter... but just have a damn nice blue smoke. (and destroy the cat in no time)

than.. burnt head gasket? O_o
Old 06-08-2008, 02:52 AM
GHOST1207

Are any of the 08's affected by this?
Old 06-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by GHOST1207
Are any of the 08's affected by this?
mine is an 08
Old 06-08-2008, 09:35 PM
FantomZ

I have been noticing this in my 07 for the past couple months as well. Doesn't do it in the morning, only when I am leaving work at the end of the day.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 PM
theintimmydator

Originally Posted by stylett9
cool, Goodluck!! Alot of has have had cracks at this with no luck so hopefully something good will come of this.
Don't worry so much about passing your 36k mark. There is a ton of proof that you have been experiencing this for a while and that you've reached out repeatedly to resolve the matter. They WILL fix it for you via good-will if the solution does become available and you're past the 36k, and that is certain. I am in the process of selling my S2K and picking up an 08.....so this information is VERY important to me. Thanks guys for all the efforts; im positive that we will see it get cracked down very soon.

Tim
Old 06-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Ataru074

Ok guys... another positive test for HEET. (thanks profink).
I'm right now in a work related roadtrip of 1300 miles... so I tested the HEET (yellow bottle). yesterday I mixed 1 bottle with 1/3 of tank of chevron 93 octane. than another bottle filling up with shell vpower... no changes this morning.. I did less than 30 miles yesterday with 3 or 4 starts...
today after one full day of drive I refilled the tank again with chevron 93 octane (thanks texas) and another bottle...
so for the math 2 bottle with the first tank, and 1 bottle with the second tank...
on the second tank I felt no more hesitation pushing 6th or 5th gear from low rpms (<2000)
I restarted the car after 2 hours of cool down.. and no sputtering...
tomorrow I'll see how it goes cold in the morning...
and coming back home on friday what will happen with a full tank of 91 octane.

if this works for me... heet is mainly alcohol...
1st mix with water so can clean up water from the tank
2nd increase octane # (but for this amount ~1% should be less than 0.3)

I'll keep you updated... I'll burn one more tank and 1/2 in next 5 days.. so I'll should have enough info to see if it will resolve (or at least patch for a while) the issue.

edit 1:
still sputtering in the morning... way less.. but still doing it, also after other 4 hour stop and got the car for the lunch break..
btw... here is "colder" and starts sputtering later.... just when the water indicator is close to it's standard position (mid 60 deg here)

edit 2:
afternoon still sputtering when gets close to the operating temperature.. but just few seconds of exhaust sound change and really light "tremors"...
I'm close to the end of this tank of gas.. I'll try another bottle of heet with the next refill.

still more confused. (about 700 miles since I started)

Matteo

Last edited by Ataru074; 06-10-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:52 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Okay, so I went back to Chevron gas for a few weeks, and my car started doing it again. lol!! I switched back to Exxon or Shell and no longer have the problem. So it is obvious a gas issue.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:01 PM
stylett9

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Okay, so I went back to Chevron gas for a few weeks, and my car started doing it again. lol!! I switched back to Exxon or Shell and no longer have the problem. So it is obvious a gas issue.

i've tried switching gas and it hasn't made any change for me.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:02 PM
stylett9

Originally Posted by Ataru074
Ok guys... another positive test for HEET. (thanks profink).
I'm right now in a work related roadtrip of 1300 miles... so I tested the HEET (yellow bottle). yesterday I mixed 1 bottle with 1/3 of tank of chevron 93 octane. than another bottle filling up with shell vpower... no changes this morning.. I did less than 30 miles yesterday with 3 or 4 starts...
today after one full day of drive I refilled the tank again with chevron 93 octane (thanks texas) and another bottle...
so for the math 2 bottle with the first tank, and 1 bottle with the second tank...
on the second tank I felt no more hesitation pushing 6th or 5th gear from low rpms (<2000)
I restarted the car after 2 hours of cool down.. and no sputtering...
tomorrow I'll see how it goes cold in the morning...
and coming back home on friday what will happen with a full tank of 91 octane.

if this works for me... heet is mainly alcohol...
1st mix with water so can clean up water from the tank
2nd increase octane # (but for this amount ~1% should be less than 0.3)

I'll keep you updated... I'll burn one more tank and 1/2 in next 5 days.. so I'll should have enough info to see if it will resolve (or at least patch for a while) the issue.

edit 1:
still sputtering in the morning... way less.. but still doing it, also after other 4 hour stop and got the car for the lunch break..
btw... here is "colder" and starts sputtering later.... just when the water indicator is close to it's standard position (mid 60 deg here)

edit 2:
afternoon still sputtering when gets close to the operating temperature.. but just few seconds of exhaust sound change and really light "tremors"...
I'm close to the end of this tank of gas.. I'll try another bottle of heet with the next refill.

still more confused. (about 700 miles since I started)

Matteo

I've never felt it in any gear above 4th. I think alot of the reason why you didnt feel it at first is you might have started doing highway cruising speeds before it kicked in. I know for myself, if i can get on the freeway fast enough every morning, i can make it to the freeway before it would normally kick in and can avoid the problem.

However, yeah, the HEET still significantly reduces the "sputtering" but doesnt quite solve it.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:46 AM
108NismoZ

Update: still Nissan has no clue what is going on with my vehicle. today they are supposed to be running a data log on the vehicle while it is acting up which i don't understand why they haven't already but oh well. they also called yesterday and said they will be calling tech line for assistance on this case. hopefully they will call with some good news today and let me know that they found something and they are going to fix it!

Side Note: Vehicle has been there since monday of this week.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 PM
bigbgballz

4 weeks ago i purchased 07 touring @ 13400 miles and now its @ 15000 (test drove on a long trip) and do not have that problem but I live in a hot place and reading your posts seems like that happens in a colder climate. I wonder if i drive it somewhere colder if that problem will occur. It also seems that it is a problem with the fuel system somewhere along the way.Adding the octane booster is just helping it overcome the problem but it does not fixes it. I am no car experts at all and thats just my 50 cents after reading all the posts. Hopefully it will be resolved very soon as this seems to be very annoying problem and i wonder how it actually affects the engine in the long run.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:30 PM
stylett9

Originally Posted by bigbgballz
4 weeks ago i purchased 07 touring @ 13400 miles and now its @ 15000 (test drove on a long trip) and do not have that problem but I live in a hot place and reading your posts seems like that happens in a colder climate. I wonder if i drive it somewhere colder if that problem will occur. It also seems that it is a problem with the fuel system somewhere along the way.Adding the octane booster is just helping it overcome the problem but it does not fixes it. I am no car experts at all and thats just my 50 cents after reading all the posts. Hopefully it will be resolved very soon as this seems to be very annoying problem and i wonder how it actually affects the engine in the long run.

appreciate the input(honest, not sarcasm) but i doubt heat is a factor here. I've had this problem since last year in southern Cali where temperatures were anywhere from 80-100 degrees and the problem exists. Then in the winter i can start up on a cold night of 40-50 degrees and the problem still exists.

However, i'm still guessing it has something to do with the fuel system as well since it seems like the car is choking while it happens. The only thing not explainable is the fact the car sounds different. The exhaust tone get's very throaty while it happens.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by stylett9
appreciate the input(honest, not sarcasm) but i doubt heat is a factor here. I've had this problem since last year in southern Cali where temperatures were anywhere from 80-100 degrees and the problem exists. Then in the winter i can start up on a cold night of 40-50 degrees and the problem still exists.
I'm back to houston... actually when it happens is exactly when the water gauge approach the "go" zone..... if it's colder you'll drive also 5 or 6 minutes before the car starts acting.. if it's warmer happen after 30 sec/1 min...

heet helped a lot... but didn't solved (at least right now the car is not jerking but only changing tone with sputtering)... about the fuel... refueled in different stations for the whole road trip... so can't believe I got all stations with water.

so far:
is not the ECU fuel trim or timing (stock or reflashed doesn't make any differences)... too bad we cannot try a piggyback.
no error from the O2 sensors (except me.. HFC... 0420) and the sputtering trigger that error on.
changing the mix or the octane # makes some differences.. but doesn't solve completely the problem.

defective primary 02 sensors? defective MAF?
Old 06-16-2008, 03:42 PM
108NismoZ

i need to find out if there is anyone who is experience this issue that does not have TCS on their vehicle if everyone does i might have a good suspicion now on what is going on

update nissan: last week they dicked around with it forever and then at the end of the week couldn't duplicate concern anymore
Old 06-16-2008, 04:57 PM
FantomZ

i need to find out if there is anyone who is experience this issue that does not have TCS on their vehicle if everyone does i might have a good suspicion now on what is going on
Could you elaborate on your theory a little? Just curious what the connection may be?

Last edited by FantomZ; 06-17-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 108NismoZ

update nissan: last week they dicked around with it forever and then at the end of the week couldn't duplicate concern anymore

mine is an o7 base.... does it every time.... different gas, octane boosters, isoheat... arg....
Old 06-17-2008, 05:31 PM
108NismoZ

Originally Posted by FantomZ
Could you elaborate on your theory a little? Just curious what the connection may be?
well the other day i tried the vehicle fromthe stop and the difference this time was that i had tcs off and it didn't do it to me. i may have to try it again to verify if this is the case i'll probably know tomorrow after i get off work. if i turn it off and it doesn't do it and then try the follow day it could be the tcs engaging inappropriately. might give the dealership an alternative to look at for a fix.

Quick Reply: Sputtering During Warm-up