Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

14.8 MPG and sluggish feel

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 PM
AdriaN-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14.8 MPG and sluggish feel

Well lately, ever since noticing yet another exhaust leak on this p.o.s Nismo exhaust, I've began to notice that the car is not riding as smooth as it once has. I also looked at what mpg im averaging and the dial read 14.8. Mind you, I have the nismo exhaust and test pipes and CAI if that matters. Im also pretty sure there is another crack somewhere along one of the welds because the car does not sound the same anymore, it actually sounds a lot raspy'er and at WOT. It honestly sounds like ****. On top of the exhaust issue, it feels like this car is dumping out way too much fuel. I even smell a slight scent of fumes when accelerating.

I've reset the ECU more than once over the span of month but nothing doing.

So basically I have a very small but annoying exhaust leak, not sure where because I havent looked, and my car feels like its dumping way too much fuel and my mpg is reading low, in my opinion, plus the car feels like **** while driving. It just doesnt feel the same.

Im dying to check my a/f ratio to see whats going on but it feels like all I do is work and have no time for my babe... the Z =). 3-11pm is a horrid schedule!! =[

Someone chime in on this make me feel better. Im assuming my bad mpg is due to test pipes and that SES. I honestly wish I could trade in my nismo exhaust setup for a stock one and call it a day =(
Old 11-08-2007, 08:43 PM
highside107

Not sure about the MPG, but that slight scent you're smelling is due to the test pipes. I mean if you take out your cats and put a straight pipe in there, you have nothing to clean out your car's emissions. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to get test pipes. Unless you're talking about a new scent that you haven't smelled before.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:46 PM
SergEK

Get OSIRIS and tune it for better targets

I was hitting 12.5:1 A/F (maybe worse) on my basically stock 06 when I got my baseline dyno pull (which was said to read about a point higher than the reading (so possibly 11.5:1 if thats true)

I have never hit that low of a mpg but I dont know how you drive it

I think with OSIRIS youll make more power and get better mpg with better targets.....on the dyno I could smell it and I have stock cats

Theres some ponies on the table with the fuel tuning alone, plus your mods
Old 11-08-2007, 08:47 PM
sk26dett

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad o2 sensor(s)?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:32 PM
AdriaN-

Originally Posted by highside107
Not sure about the MPG, but that slight scent you're smelling is due to the test pipes. I mean if you take out your cats and put a straight pipe in there, you have nothing to clean out your car's emissions. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to get test pipes. Unless you're talking about a new scent that you haven't smelled before.

Ya no doubt its because of the tp's but I guess im noticing the smell more now... or it could be me losing my mind, idk.

As far as OSIRIS goes, what is that? Similar to UTEC?

idk I really have to get the a/f checked on and I need to get this exhaust straightened out. Wish I could go back to stock but i dont have my cats ;\
Old 11-08-2007, 11:52 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are you have a crack on your TP. Jack up the car and take a look at it. Nismo Y-Pipe is nono with TPs. Get yourself JIC Y.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by AdriaN-

As far as OSIRIS goes, what is that? Similar to UTEC?
Osiris is a pc based reflash package that allows us to tune your factory ecu.
All you do is plug into your OBD2 Data port with our cable interface and flash the ECU with a tune file that we create based on your hardware setup.

You also get our diagnostic and data-logging software which could help you with troubleshooting. We also use logs to dial in your tune better after the initial reflash.

http://www.uprev.com/products/osiris_NI.html

Matt
info@uprev.com