Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

350Z Leaking ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
aireq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z Leaking ! ! !

So a couple weeks ago I noticed that it was wet under my drivers seat. I park my car outside so I thought that I might have left my window cracked open and it never got a chance to dry out. Last weekend for thanksgiving I parked it in my parents garage with some fans on it to dry it out. It didn't rain since then until this weekend. Now the water is back. The depression under the drivers seat is completely soaked, and the carpet under the floor matt is damp. It's not obvious at all where it's comming from. And yes my window actuators seem to work just fine on both sides.

Anyone have any idea where this water could be comming from?

Eric
Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 PM
SeannMikee

Your pants when u get nervous? lol jk i really have no clue
Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 PM
fairladyinit

Is there smell in the liquid at all? If not check your drains to make sure they're locked. Look in your manual for the drains.

Here's an example from another site.
In the rear passenger side fender area there are two drain hoses, one from the antenna motor and one from the sunroof. In the bottom of the fender there is a small pot-metal y-shaped piece that both hoses plug into and then that y-piece is shoved through a rubber gasket to the outside world. This y-shaped piece rusts and may cause blockage and overflowing. The cause of my antenna motor breaking was probably caused by a back-up of water. When I pulled the hose and the y-shaped piece, the hose was completely blocked and after dislodging the blockage a lot of water came pouring out. Another thing to point out too, is that because this y-piece sits in the only exit from the fender, any water from overflow will sit in the bottom of the fender without a way to exit. I had a small puddle with some debris down in the bottom of the fender. After I took out the plug in the bottom, a good amount of water came pouring out. Rust anyone? Tomorrow, I'm going to check the driver side area and see if that side may have the same issue.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:15 PM
FastZ33

diaper??
Old 12-03-2007, 11:37 PM
aireq

No there is no smell in the liquid. And it only happens when it rains so I know it's a leak from the outside.

Ummm? My car has an antenna motor? Or did you just mean that as an example.

Eric

Originally Posted by fairladyinit
Is there smell in the liquid at all? If not check your drains to make sure they're locked. Look in your manual for the drains.

Here's an example from another site.
In the rear passenger side fender area there are two drain hoses, one from the antenna motor and one from the sunroof. In the bottom of the fender there is a small pot-metal y-shaped piece that both hoses plug into and then that y-piece is shoved through a rubber gasket to the outside world. This y-shaped piece rusts and may cause blockage and overflowing. The cause of my antenna motor breaking was probably caused by a back-up of water. When I pulled the hose and the y-shaped piece, the hose was completely blocked and after dislodging the blockage a lot of water came pouring out. Another thing to point out too, is that because this y-piece sits in the only exit from the fender, any water from overflow will sit in the bottom of the fender without a way to exit. I had a small puddle with some debris down in the bottom of the fender. After I took out the plug in the bottom, a good amount of water came pouring out. Rust anyone? Tomorrow, I'm going to check the driver side area and see if that side may have the same issue.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:44 AM
aireq

ok I pulled up a bunch of the carpet under the drivers seat and there is about a half inch of water all under the floor matt area, and under the back of the seat. I felt all over but it wasn't obvious at all where the leak was comming from.

Is there some kind of drain that I can open to get this water out? Anyone have any idea where this could be comming from?

Eric
Old 12-04-2007, 03:13 AM
shadykilla717

Bring it to Nissan or a shop??
Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You know that this is a serious problem. A wet floor means corrosion and rust. Very difficult to fix.

I suggest that you visit mechanic who is familiar with the 350Z. Troubleshooting water leaks is time consuming and expensive. I do not believe that there is an inexpensive alternative.

Note: Drain plugs are outlined in the service manual.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:59 AM
fairladyinit

yes look in your service manual for the drain plug. Be prepared for a lot of water to come gushing out.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that there are drains in the cowl area at the base of the windshield. Pop the hood and look around at the plastic channels at the base of the windshield and see if there is alot of debris where the wiper arm comes through, etc. g/l
Old 12-04-2007, 02:44 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blow the clogged drain holes with a high pressure nozzle.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 AM
skwid

that's really strange on the Z. I've never heard of one leaking like that. Did you have anything recently replaced? Windshield? Window?

Check the hatch seals, etc... Water can get in anywhere.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:18 PM
aireq

There is a lot of debris in the area where the the wiper arm comes through.

The service Manual? I have a Factory service manual (well a pdf of it), and the owners manual. I'm not sure where to look in either for anything about the drain plugs.

Originally Posted by teh215
I believe that there are drains in the cowl area at the base of the windshield. Pop the hood and look around at the plastic channels at the base of the windshield and see if there is alot of debris where the wiper arm comes through, etc. g/l
Old 12-05-2007, 07:24 PM
aireq

I searched the factory service manual and the only instance of "drain plug" i could find had to do with drive train drain plugs (oil pan, transmision, block etc...)

Is it possibly called something else?

Eric
Old 12-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Corradoslc7

Stop parking your car under trees, the leaves get in the drains and prevent water from draining. The water backs up and finds its way into the car.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:21 PM
aireq

Where are the drains?

Eric
Old 12-05-2007, 08:25 PM
jaspendlove

good luck. keep us posted
Old 12-05-2007, 10:33 PM
aireq

Originally Posted by Corradoslc7
Stop parking your car under trees, the leaves get in the drains and prevent water from draining. The water backs up and finds its way into the car.

What drains? Where are the drains?

Eric
Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems everything in Seattle is flooding this past week, I would check the drains in the doors and also the rubber seals on the bottoms of each door. Also is there water buildup under the passengers side also, have you checked???

And lastly do you drink bottled water in your car and maybe the bottle rolled under the drivers seat and spilled.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 PM
aireq

There is no water in the passenger side. I pulled of the the plastic cover that usualy cover up the area where the brake master cylinder is. It looks like someone drilled a hole through my firewall to, I"m assuming, run a cable.

So i'm going to put a plug in that and try to suck out all the water and see if it happens again.

Eric

Quick Reply: 350Z Leaking ! ! !