Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Volts Jump, Car bumps..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 AM
iknowitsfast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volts Jump, Car bumps..

I was depressed enough on Sunday when I realized I needed a new hub bearing for my rear drivers side...Now this morning as I'm leaving for work I decide to just move my car before the snow comes (drove the wifes lumina to work). anyway, I start the car and the Volt Meter just climbs! All the way to the right. The car starts to stutter like it wants to just shut down. Then it does shut down, then comes back, then shuts down. I turn the car off, wait a few moments and then start it again. It does the same thing. The Z is an 03 with about 62k on the odometer. Could this be my alternator going bad? The battery? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx!

EDIT: just looked on ebay for an alternator, and just for a quick laugh look at the silver Z at the bottom.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALTER...2em118Q2el1247

Last edited by iknowitsfast; 02-05-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

sounds like the voltage regulator going bad on the alternator. Only reason the voltage would do that.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree, regulator going bad in the altenator sending spikes to your cars computer.

Thats a sick *** wing yo!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have the Alt chked ----As far as the car dying.......The more the Alt puts out, the more load there is on the alt (more difficult to turn) Cold Motor, Extra load, Car Dies.

I would try to keep it running with ALL electical components turned off til the motor warms up. Watch your gauge. When the car warms, turn on different items and see if it reflects on your Gauge.

Keep in mind that if it is very cold, your Cranking Amps will be low and the Alt will work hard to remedy that prob---hence, work harder, which in turn increases engine load. You may have a weak Battery that is on its last legs and the temp is making it worse....Dont be buying Alts just yet
Old 02-06-2008, 11:18 AM
iknowitsfast

UPDATE: Ok, so THIS is wierd. This morning I go out to leave for work in the wifes car and i decide what the hell, i'll go try and start my Z again today. This time the car starts fine, with no problems!!! WTF? I let it run for about 10 minutes and then went to work in the wifes car anyway. Now, yesterday, it was very foggy and warm in the morning. So i really dont know if the humidity or something was making it act strange. I'll keep a close eye on it for the next few days
Old 02-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iknowitsfast
UPDATE: Ok, so THIS is wierd. This morning I go out to leave for work in the wifes car and i decide what the hell, i'll go try and start my Z again today. This time the car starts fine, with no problems!!! WTF? I let it run for about 10 minutes and then went to work in the wifes car anyway. Now, yesterday, it was very foggy and warm in the morning. So i really dont know if the humidity or something was making it act strange. I'll keep a close eye on it for the next few days
Do that ---Its possible that the "potting" around some internals on the Alt are cracked and allowing moisture to cause a malfuntion, if so ---Its replace time.

Potting is the Epoxy Resin poured over solid state components to permantly encase them and protect them from the elements

Many solid state reguators and Rectifiers are potted
Old 02-06-2008, 07:18 PM
fklentz

How cold was it when it happened?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 AM
iknowitsfast

Originally Posted by fklentz
How cold was it when it happened?
Originally when it made those funky squealing noises and kept dying it was about 38-39 degrees.....then when it started up ok it was colder, around 25 degrees or so.

Then last night I started it when I got home, all was ok but now I have the red battery light come on the dash. my god this is a headache.