Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How much to fix, TSB fuel tank difficult to fill

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 03:07 PM
Dissenter

Recently I have been having the same issue. I have an '04 Track. I can't seem to fill the tank past 3/4 before the gas pump shuts off.

Has anyone concluded what the issue is? Shutter Valve or Sending Unit?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2008 | 06:33 PM
island03z

Originally Posted by Darth Zader
A mechanic friend of mine was in town and we took a look at the two floaters and the sender units. First we took out the one behind the driver's seat and lifted the floater to where it would be in the full position and watched the fuel gauge. Since I only had a half of a tank of gas anyway, the gauge went up to about 3/4 tank. With the floater held up at the full position, we did the same using a hanger as a hook and pulled the floater on the passenger side to full. Sure enough, the gauge read beyond full (something I've never seen on my car). So we know the sending units and electronics are functional. We put the floaters back and buttoned it up again. It turns out that just moving the floaters and reinstalling fixed the issue. Perhaps one was stuck and never could reach full level. I just refueled at below 1/4 tank and put 14 gallons in, pushing the gauge to over full. Not sure what the problem was but this worked (at least temporarily). FYI, you can get access to the senders from the panels behind the seats. Take note that if you turn the key to get a look at the fuel gauge level, be sure the fuel hose is connected so you don't pump fuel into the passenger compartment. Also, since there will be no pressure in the tank with the access panels open your "Check Engine" light will be on. It will go away again after you screw the panels back on the tank.

anyone want to do a write up on this? I got into my fuel tank, depressurized the fuel lines and disconnected the harness and tried lifting the pump up and it would catch on something at the bottom of the tank. I didn't want to make it any worse or end up bending what I assume was the floater getting caught so I left it alone. I'll attempt it again when I have a friend to help but in the mean time, if Darth wouldn't mind writing exactly what you guys did to fix this, I'd appreciate it...Pics too if you got it because I've never actually seen what the entire pump looks like...only the top half that I could get out of the tank.
Old 10-26-2008 | 01:03 PM
mw9

Originally Posted by DraGonAlchemist
oHhhh yes i see the TSB for shutter valve. .looks easy to fix as well. .if u want diagrams and procedure's let me know..i can fax them over to you. . .simple enough that u can go threw the fuel pump opening on top . . .under your glove box. . .
you'll need
Fuel Level Sensor O-ring pt# 17342-CE800
Shutter Valve pt# 17260-AM600

do you still have that info.
Old 09-25-2010 | 06:51 PM
SoldzMyZ

Finally fixed this issue. I found a diy on g35driver where you take out the fuel sending unit, then you run a q-tip along the sensor board (on both sensors, one under the rear glove box and the other in the speaker box area). Yup all it cost me is the q-tip. It says in the service manual to replace the o-ring but i didn't. I'll have to go back and fix that. But the great news is that I have officially fixed the fuel fill issue. Took about 1hr. I was about to by the fuel sending unit from the dealer (one was $118, the other $120) but this was the best solution. I can't believe I lived with this issue for more than 3 years lol. It was pretty bad the past year but finally I filled my car up and the fuel gauge went all the way up a little over the full line.
Old 09-25-2010 | 09:47 PM
kennyl5123

Hey, booey1979. Can you put the g35driver link to this forum?
Old 09-25-2010 | 10:05 PM
SoldzMyZ

I'm gonna start a new thread with the link in order for my350z members can find the fix easier.
Old 04-25-2012 | 10:27 PM
mikewagon

anyone still have the link to the qtip fix?