How-To Repair Stuck / Broken Window Motor ... - Page 33 - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Go Back  MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion > 350Z Tech Area > Maintenance & Repair
Reload this Page >

How-To Repair Stuck / Broken Window Motor ...

Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How-To Repair Stuck / Broken Window Motor ...

Old 01-11-2018, 08:38 AM
spartikus1975

I have an aftermarket warranty so I just put in the motor they sent me I don't recall the brand etc. How do I perform the reset procedure? The window does go down when opening the door and then back up when you shut the door I thought this meant the reset had been done.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:31 AM
zakmartin
orange moodring

After you've mounted the motor, you have to push down on its reset button while toggling the window switch to program the window's high/low range per the procedure outlined in the FSM.

Last edited by zakmartin; 01-17-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: I decided to re-write this in English.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:28 PM
zakmartin
orange moodring

I wanted to share this article from AutoInc. It's a very good explanation of the window reset procedure and also gives some effective troubleshooting advice if the auto-up/drop issue persists after you've installed your new window motor:

How to Reset a Nissan Power Window

By Paul Kujawa on in January/February 2015, Tech Tips

We often get calls about power windows. Using the “auto” feature of a power window switch automatically raises or lowers a power window to the fully closed or fully open position. When attempting to close the window using the “auto” feature, if work has been performed that results in the loss of the limit switch setting, the power window will rise all the way to the top and then come back down several inches.

Nissan has a few different procedures for resetting the limit switch in the power window motor, depending on the model. If there is an external button on the power window motor, use the following procedure:
  1. Raise the window to the fully closed position using the manual portion of the power window switch, not the “auto” feature.
  2. Then press in and hold the external button on the power window motor while fully opening the window.
  3. When the window is fully opened, release the button on the power window motor and verify that the button pops back out.
  4. Fully raise the power window, again using just the manual portion of the power window switch, not the “auto” feature. The limit switch should now be reset.
After performing the limit switch reset procedure, if the window still goes all the way up and then comes back down several inches when using the “auto” feature of the power window switch, check the voltage on the limit switch circuit to determine if the limit switch inside the power window motor is defective.

The power window switch sends out a 5-volt reference to the limit switch. The other side of the limit switch is connected to ground. The limit switch is closed, pulling the 5-volt reference to ground when the limit switch is not being depressed. The limit switch should not be depressed when the power window is open (in any position except fully closed).

When the power window is fully closed, the limit switch should be depressed. This should open the limit switch and remove the ground for the limit switch circuit, putting 5 volts back on the limit switch signal wire. When the power window switch sees the 5 volts return on the limit switch signal wire, the power window switch knows the window is fully closed and stops power window motor operation.

If 5 volts are not present on the limit switch circuit when the window is fully closed, the power window switch will think the window is still open and will keep operating the window motor. This is why the window will close and then come back down several inches if the limit switch is not set properly.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:50 AM
Beebob308

I must say , awesome right up buddy ..I'm kind of A do it yourself kind of guy but wasn't too sure on how to go about doing this ..both my windows were messing up so needed to try something ..after looking at your post I decided I would try this ..Driver's window on auto wouldn't stay up , would always come back down about 6 inches which was A pain in the butt . Followed your instructions to reset motor now works like A charm ..Now my passenger window , the reset didn't fix ..any help would be greatly appreciated ..Evey time I open the passenger door , it comes down an inch and A half , but when I close the door , it doesn't go back up , and every time I open the door it keeps going down that inch and A half ...Would cleaning the motor help this any ? That's my next step if nothing else ... Thanx in advance , Bobby
The Following User Says Thank You to Beebob308 For This Useful Post:
blufc3s (03-06-2019)
Old 09-27-2018, 07:51 AM
Heel Til I Die

Cleaning may help, but it seems to be a short-lived remedy. Possibly time for a new window motor(s). I've replaced both window motors when they started acting up with similar problems that you're having. I didn't try to reset or clean them. I figured if I had everything out, it would be a good time to just replace them since failure seems to be fairly common and it was an easy job.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:55 AM
Phillip D

Default Reset button

Can you get to the reset button without removing the door panel? My window just rolls down by itself.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:16 PM
icer5160

You could drill a hole through the door card I suppose. But it only takes a few minutes to remove the panel. In short, no...
-Icer
Old 03-06-2019, 06:38 PM
sandiegosurfer

Originally Posted by Beebob308 View Post
I must say , awesome right up buddy ..I'm kind of A do it yourself kind of guy but wasn't too sure on how to go about doing this ..both my windows were messing up so needed to try something ..after looking at your post I decided I would try this ..Driver's window on auto wouldn't stay up , would always come back down about 6 inches which was A pain in the butt . Followed your instructions to reset motor now works like A charm ..Now my passenger window , the reset didn't fix ..any help would be greatly appreciated ..Evey time I open the passenger door , it comes down an inch and A half , but when I close the door , it doesn't go back up , and every time I open the door it keeps going down that inch and A half ...Would cleaning the motor help this any ? That's my next step if nothing else ... Thanx in advance , Bobby
I had the same problem. I previously changed the window motors so I ruled those out, resetting did not help. Took it to the stealership and they said it was switch on the door and wanted 750 to replace it. I got one the next day from amazon for $50, takes 5 minutes to install - real easy. Fixed. dealer also said the connector to the switch was a little messed up, and I have read this too is also common so take it easy on the connector and don't smash the copper tips or anything.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:46 AM
icer5160

Hey Sandi,

Which switch? The actual window control switch or the door jam switch? Or something else?
Thanks,
-Mark
Old 03-07-2019, 12:50 PM
sandiegosurfer

The master power switch
check this out -
Amazon Amazon
I got it from Switch Doctor, comes with a lifetime warranty. $54

Fits Nissan 350Z Master Power Window Switch 2003-2008

by
Switch Doctor Switch Doctor
4.1 out of 5 stars
14 customer reviews 14 customer reviews
Price:$54.00 | FREE One-Day
  • IMPORTANT: This switch has Automatic Down on the Driver's and and Front Passenger window. You should see an "A" on both the driver's window and the front passenger on your stock switch if you need this switch. Please match to your stock switch before buying.
  • Switch Doctor brand switches are manufactured to the highest standards available, and are identical in appearance and function to your stock switch. This switch is the complete unit you need including buttons, circuit board, plug ins, etc.
  • Switch Doctor’s hassle-free lifetime warranty is included free with all Switch Doctor brand switches. Your switch is fully covered while you own it – it’s that simple! Additionally, should you need to use this warranty, the process is easy and comes at no cost to you. Also included, if contacting us directly, is Switch Doctor's peace of mind 90 day 100% refund return policy.
  • Ships within 6 hours, on average, of order completion. Shipping includes delivery confirmation for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Europe, and more!
  • Free installation instructions and support are at Switch Doctor’s website or talk to one of our experts at 678-389-6725.