Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

So I got a nail in my 285/35/19 tire... and

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 11:22 AM
krazE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got a nail in my 285/35/19 tire... and

I got a patch from JUST TIRES. They scratched the top portion of the lip, almost like a curb scratch. There are 2 about 3 inches long. What should I do?
Old 07-14-2003, 11:30 AM
krazE

Or, what can i do?
Old 07-14-2003, 12:07 PM
350zSpeedRacer

If you accepted the car back like that without compaining to the manager, etc.--you're probably not so well off. My suggestion is calling the person in charge immediately, calmly explain the problem, and ask them to cover the damages. Take some pics for your records, and you might want to write a letter to the corporate office, explaining the situation--just to get something on paper, in case the local place isn't very friendly about the problem.

Later resort--BBB. They have a wonderful way of working things out for you without you having to worry about a thing.

Good Luck!
Old 07-14-2003, 03:23 PM
krazE

Yes, so I showed the manager and he admitted they did it. He said the only way to fix it is by buying a new wheel. I suppose he is willing to have the company pay for it. The only thing is... it isn't a major deal, but these are 4000+ wheels along with the tires. The wheel will cost $750.00- By the way, I always take my cars here for everything (for the last 3 years), should I make them buy me a new wheel? Or should I forget it.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:31 PM
krazE

that's a really close up shot. it doesnt look that bad from up above when you're standing

Last edited by krazE; 07-14-2003 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:50 PM
350zdanny

Some body shops and specialty repair shops like that can repair wheel rash. That seems pretty mild, so ask around and see if there is one in your area. Usually it's called reconditioning wheels. I've never had it done, but my sister's husband has a reconditioned stock wheel for his 96 corvette and it looks good as new.

If that can't be done, I would take a couple hundred from the guy and an apology, but I'm not a perfectionist about those things. Do what you think is right. You do have every right to get a new wheel if it can't be fixed.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:02 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

krazE.... The shop manager admitted they did it...

1/ I would be PO'd since they should have told you this up front.
2/ You had to bring it to their attention.

Bottom line... have them get you a new wheel. You bought a new wheel... not a scratched wheel.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:33 PM
krazE

I actually didn't even want to go and say anything. My friend insisted that I go and tell them, so I was eventually forced to go. For some reason, I'm not a natural *******/perfectionist... I'm still not sure if I should make them pay for something.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:27 PM
David

Cool opinion

Originally posted by krazE
I actually didn't even want to go and say anything. My friend insisted that I go and tell them, so I was eventually forced to go. For some reason, I'm not a natural *******/perfectionist... I'm still not sure if I should make them pay for something.
I would definately ask for a replacement...no excuse for sloppy work causing damage and out of pocket expenses for you.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:34 PM
geezer902

Since you like to get your work with them, or so you seemed to say in the original post, maybe a gentler way to proceed would be to ask them (not you) to find a wheel reconditioning shop and to have it reconditioned for you. That should save them some bucks and preserve the relationship.

If you do this, be sure to have it in writing that if the reconditioner further damages the wheel, or can't repair it satisfactorily (yours, not theirs), then they have to get you a new wheel.

Another option -- if it REALLY doesn't bother you (if not, why'd you bother posting!!?) -- is to have them provide you with a couple hundred dollars of free future service at the shop.

Let us know. J
Old 07-16-2003, 10:29 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

IMHO you should get them replaced. If you get them replaced, they will be more careful in the future and/or get better equipment. If you dont, they can justify sloopy work for future customers.

The trend in businesses is to hire low wage workers, cut cost, service. It is us, the consumer that must insist on good work and service. Trust me, i have many friends in the auto repair business. Dealers etc are opting to replace master techs with $8 hour kids that know little and lack experience or caring to do good work.

Please do not let these guys slide for the sack of everyone. You paid 4K for exceptional quality, insist you get it.

Good luck, Jeff
Old 07-16-2003, 11:58 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they patched it? errrr... guess it depends on what tire you have, but most of the tires I think Ive seen are rated higher than a patch, meaning they arent supposed to be patched.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:48 AM
krazE

Thanks again all. I will first contact a repair shop (I don't think they will take the effort to do it, since it is a large chain of stores, basically a GOOD YEAR corp.) and see how much it costs to repair. If it cannot be repaired, perhaps I'll hand them over an invoice for a new wheel.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:47 AM
the_bode

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also just found a nail in my rear tire last week (Touring 6MT, stock 18" rims, stock Bridgestones), and tried to have it patched. At my fiancee's urging I first tried Costco and Wal-Mart... I should have known better--neither shop was equipped to repair 18" tires.

Finally I took it to Wheel Works (in the SF Bay Area). They've never worked on a 305Z before, so I insisted talking personally to the technician who was going to perform the repair, and explained about the tire pressure monitors in the valve stems, etc. To his credit, the technician admitted he'd never repaired a tire with pressure sensors before, and asked one of his colleagues who has done Corvette tires before (which also have sensors) to help out.

I was so nervous I hovered nearby the whole time they were working on it, but in the end all turned out well. No scratches. The only thing is, the next day I noticed the valve cap they screwed back on was not the original, but probably another one they had lying around (it has a flat head, not pointy like the original). Oh well, I'll try to get a new one from the dealer when it's time for my next service.

Later all,

Bode