Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Can't find a solution for windshield streaking...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 06:25 PM
jikman01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find a solution for windshield streaking...

Does anyone have this problem? The windshield looks clean, but when it rains it's hard to see out. First of all the water doesn't really bead up and even worse friction of the wipers causes these deeply embeded streaks or stains or whatever they are to show up and the outside of the windshield gets like foggy. It SUCKS!!! I've dried rubbing compound and then I tried this armor all glass cleaner and then I read about and tried this stuff that is supposed to be for this called "Invisible Glass", but nothing. When you rub stuff on the windsheild these streaks show up as you rub, but they don't go away!!!!

Help?......anybody?......Bueler?.....
Old 08-05-2003, 07:16 PM
DriveI65

What works for me is Windex and newspaper. The newspaper cleans so well I'm not even sure that the Windex is needed. Some have postulated that the clays used in the manufacture of newsprint peels the film off glass.

Open the paper and take one separate piece (4 pages) and wad it loosely. You can spray directly on it to eliminate overspray on the car. Use it until soaked or shredding. Get new piece.

This eliminated the streaking on the inside glass from the vapor sublimating off the interior. See if it works for you on the outside.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:05 AM
SteveZzz

First, make sure your windows are really clean. Get good old fashioned soap and water and clean the heck out of them. Then use your glass cleaner of choice.

Always make sure your windows are cool when you clean them and never do it in the bright sun.

The most important part of the process is the material you are using to dry to glass. Newspaper is favored by some. Most paper towels have a wetting agent and they'll cause streaks.

The best thing I've found is a good microfiber towel. I use this one. http://www.properautocare.com/vipglasclean.html

I can lightly spray my windows with plain water from a spray bottle, wipe with the microfiber towel, flip the towel to a dry side and wipe again. My windows are amazingly clean.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:13 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Solution

I have had good luck washing the windshield with a scribbing agent like "Soft Scrub" or a powder like "Ajax". (If you use one with bleach keep it off the rubber. I prefer the one with no bleach.

Just scrub the window good then rinse it really well (get all the scribbing stuff off the car) then clean the window like normal with windex.

Also, you might need new blades. Blades can wear our QUICKLY if used on a dirty window. With a clean windshield and new blades you should be good to go.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:42 PM
jikman01

Thanks guys, I'll try some of these tips.

What I didn't mention however is that my windshiels looks supe-duper clean!! That's not the problem. THe problem is when it rains or even when I'm cleaning the windshield, when I pass my newspaper or microfiber towel over it you can see outlines of streaks, but then when it dries up it's crystal clear.

SO the problem when you turn the wipers on when it rains is compounded because the wipers cause these streaks to show up and you can't hardly see very well.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:54 PM
bhobson333

Default Zaino!

Y'all may be sick of hearing this as an answer, but I recommend Zaino!

Zaino has a mildly abrasive glass cleaner intended for only occasional use. I used it once on my Z windows inside and outside, to remove any residue from shipping, and haven't felt the need to use it since then (got the car early December 2002).

One of the really cool things about Zaino is that it goes on the glass and rubber as well as the paint. I put the Z5 & Z2 polish on the glass as I apply it to the paint, and when I'm done Z6'ing the car I move to the inside and Z6 the inside glass to clean it up.

Zaino on the glass acts like Rain-X, but I never get the cloudiness I sometimes got from Rain-X. I have occasionally used other window cleaner, but the Zaino pretty much does the job.

Aside from that, one thing everyone should be aware of is to avoid window cleaners that contain ammonia (most of them have it) on the inside glass. Ammonia fumes react badly with the vinyl used on most car's interiors to leave a bad haze on the inside of the glass.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:56 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by jikman01
What I didn't mention however is that my windshiels looks supe-duper clean!! That's not the problem. THe problem is when it rains or even when I'm cleaning the windshield, when I pass my newspaper or microfiber towel over it you can see outlines of streaks, but then when it dries up it's crystal clear.

SO the problem when you turn the wipers on when it rains is compounded because the wipers cause these streaks to show up and you can't hardly see very well.
You have some kind of residue on your windsheild. You need to strip it down to the glass somehow.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:37 PM
jikman01

I finally figured out how to clean my outside windows. I used a high speed rotary buffer and some Turtle wax rubbing compound. It didn't look any different but when you sprayed the windows with cleaner then you couldn't see the streaks any longer. The water was still not beading, so I followed up with some Rain-X and cleaned up my wiper blades.

It is perfect now!!! I can see and the water beads up nicely. Wipers work like a champ!!
Old 08-09-2003, 02:30 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

One thing to try for stuff that just won't come off of your windows without going to stuff like Bon Ami, etc, is clay. I had a car that was in a wreck, and got overspray on everything in the shop. The windows had so much grit to them they ruined the wiper blades the first time I drove in the rain. Claying the windows just like you do the paint, then following up with a good glass cleaner took all of the paint, oil, etc off.

I used to have a good glass stripping product you buy in a tube that sounds like it might be similar to the Zaino stuff described above with a mild abrassive that was pretty good, too, but it wouldn't get off the overspray. I wish I could find that stuff again, though. I think I'll have to get the Zaino and give it a try next time I need stuff.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:17 PM
jikman01

Well, this was strange with the Z. I have had and Acura and a Honda and have never had this problem with the outside windows.

The Z's windows looked super clean except when it rained, first of all the water did not bead up, it hit and was flat and obstructed your vision. Then to make matters worse, when the wipers caused friction against the windshield, they caused these deeply imbeded stains/streaks to appear.

But, needless to say I tried EVERYTHING!!! Invisible Glass, a razor blade, vinegar and water, a mixture of ammonia/water/dish soap/alcohol, windex, clay, etc, etc....to no avail.

Rubbing compound applied with tons of elbow grease or better yet, with a high speed buffer cleans EVERYTHING off!!...hard water spots included. Follow this up with Rain-X then get new wipers if you need them or clean yours off if they are still good and you will be amazed!!!
Old 08-12-2003, 07:30 PM
jim l

Try going to griotsgarage.com they have all types of window cleaning and care care products. Good stuff and excellent service. Jim L
Old 08-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Stinger1

Default Here's the fix

I guarntee this to work. First of all, go by new wiper blades just in case you got some kind of harsh chemical on them which is making them deteriorate. Next go by some Rain-X. You can get it at just about any automotive store, even Wal-Mart. If you have never used Rain-X you are in for a big surprise. When going down the highway I don't even turn on my wipers if it is raining. This stuff makes the rain bead up and run off faster than anything I have ever seen. I this doesn't do the trick, then you probably need a new windshield. Hope this helps.

Stinger1
Old 07-24-2004, 07:27 PM
NY 350Z

let your car sit in the shade for a couple hours (if you have a garage do it in there)

dont let the glass warm, keep it as cool as possible, clean it and i PROMISE you no streaks