Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 04:03 PM
welowe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kari,
I have that same issue trying to go into 5th gear. I can't just go all the way to the right and then up to go to 5th, it's more of a 'Z' pattern I have to make. Somebody posted the following earlier in this thread... I don't remember who, but I copied it to Notepad because I am going to print it out and go chat with the dealership becuase they told me that was "normal" ... Hah.

Got my tranny replaced earlier this year. Mines an '03 enthusiast and had about 18k miles on it.

Quote:

============================
I think that referred to adjusting the shift control guide plate which lines up the shifter so that when you push it all the way to right it is linged up correctly to go into 5th and 6th. Seems like a number of dealers have not bothered to adjust it after a transmission replacement. Mine didn't. It took me longer than 10 minutes though and I never could get the shifter **** off. I think it's locktighted on. In any case it doesn't fix a messed up transmission and I don't think it's Juztin's problem. Sounds like something broke or came loose in the shift control mechanism. Here's the procedure if you need it. Sorry diagrams are not included. When you see it you'll know which bolts are a,b and c. Use a small flat screw driver to lift the console finisher up and out from the rear.

SHIFT CONTROL
3. Shifting control lever assembly to 6th gear, the control lever
assembly is light pressed to the reverse side.
4. At the point where the control lever assembly stops, bring the
guide plate closer until guide plate stopper contacts control lever
assembly claw, and then loosely tighten mounting bolt A.
5. Shifting control lever assembly to 5th gear, the control lever
assembly light pressed to the reverse side.
6. At the point where control lever assembly stops, bring guide
plate closer until the guide plate stopper contacts control lever
assembly claw, and then loosely tighten mounting bolt C.
7. Tighten guide plate bolts A and B to the specified torque.
8. Install control lever boot.
9. Install hole cover.
10. Install console finisher. Refer to IP-12, "Removal and Installation"
==========================================
Old 08-07-2004, 06:32 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Have had my Z since may of 04 and was built i think in Feb. Only 1200 miles on it( just past the break in) as i mostly drive it to and from work.There is some notchy feel from the 1st to 2nd shift,but nothing i could not live with.

Also two occasions of grinding from 1st to 2nd , but it was curious because that occured at lower rpms. Guess i would expect it to occur at higher rpms. It probably happened due to me not paying attention to clutch position and quality of the actual shift. All this talk about transmission replacements has me wondering if its in my future as well. Hope not.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:36 AM
Kari

Thanks for the tip!! I printed it out also and will chat with the dealership about it. I had an appt last Friday for it and a few other things like streaky windows and noise with brakes while reversing. But I missed the appt. I will update ya and let you know what they say about all problems. Also, since your replacement transmission, do you feel as if you've lost horsepower? I used to be able to hit the gas pedal in any gear and have the car react right away!! Now there is a hestitation after pressing the gas pedal and i'm not happy about that at all!
Old 08-14-2004, 06:11 AM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got problems

Been missing 1-2 under hard acceleration lately, Thursday I couldn't get it into 5th gear while going down the highway. Guess i'll try to read through this thread this weekend and see what all I can find! Damn 18 pages worth

I've got an appointment this week at a dealer, but not my usual dealer as the damn unions are on strike around here so there are only two Nissan dealers doing any warranty work for who knows how long.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Sly_Z

I just got my new tranny and clutch today. Tranny part #32010-CD008 and clutch assy 30100-CD0019. Car feels like new. Hope this is the end of the tranny chapter!!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:11 AM
christoc

I've been told that my Transmission will be here early next week and replaced, I have the car again for the weekend.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:20 AM
PGH350z

My Z had a real nice grind shifting into 5th gear.

On August 18th dealer replaced tranny assembly, clutch plate, and clutch pedal. Car feels much better now.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:30 PM
christoc

I got the Tranny put in yesterday. Not quite sure what to think yet. Having a few problems getting into first, need to make sure it's not just me though.

5th now feels like it is a MILE away from 4th, I know I don't like that!
Old 08-27-2004, 07:43 PM
pulpz2

Originally posted by christoc
I've got problems

Been missing 1-2 under hard acceleration lately, Thursday I couldn't get it into 5th gear while going down the highway. Guess i'll try to read through this thread this weekend and see what all I can find! Damn 18 pages worth

I've got an appointment this week at a dealer, but not my usual dealer as the damn unions are on strike around here so there are only two Nissan dealers doing any warranty work for who knows how long.
christoc,

Nice signiture image. Is that your tranny laying on the ground in the middle of all that smoke?
Old 08-28-2004, 08:12 AM
christoc

that was a second gear spin, just kept it floored
Old 08-28-2004, 09:07 AM
pulpz2

Originally posted by christoc
that was a second gear spin, just kept it floored
nice!
Old 09-03-2004, 08:56 AM
nicco

touring coupe

20k miles -- 5th gear grind

Nissan will replace trans unit upon receipt of parts by dealer.

chicago, IL September, 2004
Old 09-13-2004, 05:35 AM
alpine

Had my transmission replaced a while back at 12K. Performance Nissan, Durate. they're the best!
Old 09-18-2004, 09:58 AM
hammerhead

Default trans replaced

I let the dealer know that the trans was not right at 1500 mi. first oil change. (2/10/03) I also told them that I didn't think the clutch take up was right. I let them know that it was getting worse everytime I took the car in for service. I've been busy and the car was still driveable, it just shifted like an old bus. It was real notchie and did not want to go into 3rd some times with out some coaxing. Then it started grinding when down shifting from 6th to 5th when cold at 21,000 mi. Enough. Took the car in, trans was ordered with no hassel. (8/27/04) New trans is much better and I had a JWT flywheel and 1200 Kg clutch put in at the same time. They did not change the pedal assembly. The service manager said that they have not been changing them. The clutch take up is very different and is close to the floor. I called him and let him know the next day. I am going to take a look at it myself today and see if I can adjust the pedal take up point. Even at that the trans and clutch are much better and the lighter flywheel is a good mod to get it to spin up faster. I have not experienced excessive "ratteling" or noise from the flywheel setup. A slight noise now and then, but no big thing.

Great service by Mossey Nissan without any BS. Thats how it should be.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:53 AM
alpine

Default Re: trans replaced

Originally posted by hammerhead
have not experienced excessive "ratteling" or noise from the flywheel setup. A slight noise now and then, but no big thing.

Great service by Mossey Nissan without any BS. Thats how it should be.
You're saying "excessive" so that is an opinion type thing, but I was going to ask that you aren't getting "ratteling" from your flywheel?

When I had my trans done, I also went with the the JWT flywheel and Nismo Clutch.

There is defintely ratteling going on, and that is supposed to be normal. It very rarely makes it into the cabin with windows up, but if they are down, and ideling, you KNOW it's there.

If you in an enclosed area, it's 10 times worse, also drive thrus tend to draw you all kinds of extra attention.

If yours doesn't rattel, then there is something wrong with yours or ALL of ours.

Let me know,

joe
Old 09-19-2004, 10:09 AM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Tranny #2 on its way!
Old 09-19-2004, 01:39 PM
hammerhead

Default Re: Re: trans replaced

Originally posted by alpine
You're saying "excessive" so that is an opinion type thing, but I was going to ask that you aren't getting "ratteling" from your flywheel?

When I had my trans done, I also went with the the JWT flywheel and Nismo Clutch.

There is defintely ratteling going on, and that is supposed to be normal. It very rarely makes it into the cabin with windows up, but if they are down, and ideling, you KNOW it's there.

If you in an enclosed area, it's 10 times worse, also drive thrus tend to draw you all kinds of extra attention.

If yours doesn't rattel, then there is something wrong with yours or ALL of ours.

Let me know,

joe
With the clutch and flywheel combination that I have (both JWT), I do not have the ratteling that others have. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with yours or mine. Could be that the balance on my particular parts are exceptionally close by chance. The ratteling is a harmonics issue that the OEM dual mass flywheel was designed to break up. JWT says that there flywheel will work with any 350Z clutch and there's no reason that it should'nt.

BTW, I bled the clutch slave today and the take up is off the floor.

Hammer
Old 09-19-2004, 08:47 PM
funperro

While driving in to work on Friday (17th of Sept), I noticed grinding everytime shifting into 3rd. I took it in to the dealership over lunch, and low and behold, they are gonna replace the tranny this week.. just gotta wait for the part shipment.

I'm not exactly happy... its a 2003 with only 7k on it.. how in the hell can u explain that? I don't drive like a grandma, but I also don't friggin' race it either.. oh well..

out
Old 09-20-2004, 03:26 PM
dirtyhairy44

Default Trany being replaced

2003 Track 15k - Bad grinding noise when shifting into 3rd. Dealer is replacing trany.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:03 AM
alpine

Default Re: Re: Re: trans replaced

Originally posted by hammerhead
With the clutch and flywheel combination that I have (both JWT), I do not have the ratteling that others have. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with yours or mine. Could be that the balance on my particular parts are exceptionally close by chance. The ratteling is a harmonics issue that the OEM dual mass flywheel was designed to break up. JWT says that there flywheel will work with any 350Z clutch and there's no reason that it should'nt.

BTW, I bled the clutch slave today and the take up is off the floor.

Hammer
Im with you on the noise.

How many miles did you have on your new clutch before bleeding? How often/hard do you drive?

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.