Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Donkeypuncher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an appointment Monday for my 3rd gear grind and squeaking right rear.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:21 AM
kk82nyc

Tranny replaced at around 23000 mile, and it was around first week of December 2004.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Pit Bull

I normally do all of the service on my vehicles but because of the tranny and tire issues with this Z, I'm having the dealer do everything. That makes me a "good" customer and makes them the only one that has ever touched my Z. No blame shifting
Old 01-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Donkeypuncher

Got a response from the dealer today. Turns out I will need a new tranny and they will also be giving me a new clutch. i have 15000 miles on the car.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:07 PM
LIdrew

Default TRANNY

The Tranny replacement at 17k didn't bother me too much. Was only out of my car a few days, and the difference was like driving a totally new car. Some of you have had multiple replacements. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WHEN OUR WARRANTIES EXPIRE???
Old 01-07-2005, 12:47 AM
NissanJunkie

Blew my 3rd gear today going tomarrow to see when i can get it replaced.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:13 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by NissanJunkie
Blew my 3rd gear today going tomarrow to see when i can get it replaced.
You BLEW UP THIRD GEAR?? Are you sure?? All the trans problems with the Z have been synchro issues...NOT gear failure. If you truely caused a gear failure the car would be near undriveable since the gear teeth typically jam up the shift forks.

I've never heard of even a high HP 350Z blowing a gear as it's not the weakspot in our drivetrain...the halfshafts are.

Please provide more details of your problem.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:16 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Default Re: TRANNY

Originally posted by LIdrew
The Tranny replacement at 17k didn't bother me too much. Was only out of my car a few days, and the difference was like driving a totally new car. Some of you have had multiple replacements. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WHEN OUR WARRANTIES EXPIRE???
The 008 trans update seems to solve the trans issue. The first couple updates didn't, that's why you see people with multiple trans replacements. I'm on my third too. BUT...my first two only lasted a TOTAL of 12,000 miles and I've had the 008 trans since 12,000 and had ZERO issues...I now have over 34,000 miles.

BTW - the "problems" that you cited in your earlier post about your trans replacement are completely normal...the Z drivetrain is heavy duty. Therefore there's gear whine and bearing noise (which is what you hear and feel). I'm on my third trans and ALL THREE have had gear whine and bearing noise. Now the grind isn't normal...but if it was only occasional than that could be just the way you drive the car and not a trans problem. What gear did the grind occur and how did it occur when it did happen.

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 01-07-2005 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:07 PM
LIdrew

I was getting 2nd to 3rd grind. Definitely not normal but also not all the time. The rattling/whining while in neutral is gone since the new trans was installed. They also gave me new clutch assembly with the Transmission. WHy would they do that? The guy made it sound like he was doing me a favor because it is normally not covered by warranty but I'm guessing clutch issues too, or bad transmission messed up my clutch? Anyway, I asked him if he put a newer year transmission in since mine is 03 and he said NO. So, I guess I'm going to be getting a 2nd replacement at some point?? I should ask for the 008?
I have never had to replace a clutch or transmission on any of my previous cars which were all manual!! THis bothers me.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:19 PM
bio911

Talking

I am thinking about buying a 2003 Z for 23,500... it has about 33,000 miles and the transmission has been replaced and the guy has the 7 yr 100,000 mile warranty. Are the transmissions in the Z poorly made? How is it holding up for the guys out there who are pushin 300+hp/tq? How slow is the automatic compared to the standard in the quarter? I've also noticed the 1/4 mile times that some of you guys are running, is mid to high 13's normal? i want to be able to run low 13's and maybe high 12's... If i want to go any faster than that then i will get another motorcycle.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:42 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by LIdrew
I was getting 2nd to 3rd grind. Definitely not normal but also not all the time. The rattling/whining while in neutral is gone since the new trans was installed. They also gave me new clutch assembly with the Transmission. WHy would they do that? The guy made it sound like he was doing me a favor because it is normally not covered by warranty but I'm guessing clutch issues too, or bad transmission messed up my clutch? Anyway, I asked him if he put a newer year transmission in since mine is 03 and he said NO. So, I guess I'm going to be getting a 2nd replacement at some point?? I should ask for the 008?
I have never had to replace a clutch or transmission on any of my previous cars which were all manual!! THis bothers me.
there's no "newer year" transmission. The latest update came out almost a year ago and you definitely already have the right one. You should be good from here on out.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:45 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by bio911
I am thinking about buying a 2003 Z for 23,500... it has about 33,000 miles and the transmission has been replaced and the guy has the 7 yr 100,000 mile warranty. Are the transmissions in the Z poorly made? How is it holding up for the guys out there who are pushin 300+hp/tq? How slow is the automatic compared to the standard in the quarter? I've also noticed the 1/4 mile times that some of you guys are running, is mid to high 13's normal? i want to be able to run low 13's and maybe high 12's... If i want to go any faster than that then i will get another motorcycle.
No...they are not poorly made. Only the first few iterations had some faulty synchronizers here and there. They have the problem fixed now. I haven't heard of any issues with high hp Zs and the transmission...it seems to be quite strong. Performance motorsport took their Z into the low 10s on the stock 6-speed trans without any issues.
The auto is probably about 3-4 tenths slower on avearge as compared to the manual.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:35 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

'03 Z, 17,000 miles, Jan 20, 2005.

Shifting into 5th = grind.

Last edited by nbdyfcnsqnc; 01-22-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:07 AM
LIdrew

Take it in. They will replace your tranny. they know of the issue. I had NO problem having it replaced along with the clutch assembly at 17k miles.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:57 AM
tgunn

Unfortunately, I must join the ranks of having the tranny replacement.
I have a '04 Roadster with 8800K miles.
The dealership made me pay is this acceptable?
Old 02-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Pit Bull

Originally posted by tgunn
Unfortunately, I must join the ranks of having the tranny replacement.
I have a '04 Roadster with 8800K miles.
The dealership made me pay is this acceptable?
Would have to know more?? Did you do something to void your warranty? Please give us all of the details. It could be ok or it might not be ok. I'm sure you questioned being charged and you must of felt it was ok to pay for a new transmission on a new vehicle with full warranty coverage or you would not of agreed.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:17 AM
tgunn

Originally posted by Pit Bull
Would have to know more?? Did you do something to void your warranty? Please give us all of the details. It could be ok or it might not be ok. I'm sure you questioned being charged and you must of felt it was ok to pay for a new transmission on a new vehicle with full warranty coverage or you would not of agreed.
Did not realize there had been so many problems with the Z tranny. All of the sudden the clutch started slipping. I dont know how my local dealership came up with the determination that is was not covered. I cant imagine even if I were learning how to drive a clutch I could have a burnt flywheel and clutch replacement needed. I know there have been synch problems which I suspect might have been the issue here. I was told to pay for it and then call Nissan customer affairs. Any thoughts regarding the way this was handled?
Old 02-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Thaddeus

Originally posted by tgunn
Did not realize there had been so many problems with the Z tranny. All of the sudden the clutch started slipping. I dont know how my local dealership came up with the determination that is was not covered. I cant imagine even if I were learning how to drive a clutch I could have a burnt flywheel and clutch replacement needed. I know there have been synch problems which I suspect might have been the issue here. I was told to pay for it and then call Nissan customer affairs. Any thoughts regarding the way this was handled?
So, was the trans or clutch replaced or both??

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.