Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 08:52 PM
ssk0771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got 4th generation tranny installed today along with clutch pedal assembly. I still have a knoch but no grinds yet. The real test is going to be in the morning when the car is cold. Let keep our fingers crossed.

4th generation tranny does feel smoother and its not sticky like my last tranny. I really hope it works this time.

Thanks again to Performance Nissan.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:53 PM
ssk0771

Originally posted by dgz32
My Nissan dealer just installed a new transmission in my car this week, and had been experiencing the second-to-third gear grind every once in a while. I have a '03 Track with a build date of 10.02.

Had a great experience with the dealer. They went ahead and ordered the new tranny without my asking for a replacement. I'd just mentioned that I'd been experiencing the problem. They couldn't duplicate the issue when I had it in for service, but ordered a replacement anyway. I was very surprised, as I figured I'd have to argue my cause. The switched it out in one day, service could not have been any better.

From my receipt, it looks like the installed tranny and clutch clevis "countermeasure parts" were numbers 32010-CD00 6 and 30631-CD000. They also overhauled the clutch master cylinder assembly. The result...a world of difference. Shifting is much smoother and sure. The difference in smoothness, though, is remarkable.

Dave
Just out of curiosity, do you still have the knoch?
Old 12-13-2003, 12:34 PM
350Z_Redline

Original tranny and clutch pedal replaced 12/03 @ 9600mi with tranny 32010-CD008 and clutch pedal 46503-CD011.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:12 AM
hwj

I wonder if switching to a silcone brake fluid in the Clutch Master/Slave cylinder would cure any of those with manual trans. problems?
Old 12-14-2003, 07:19 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by hwj
I wonder if switching to a silcone brake fluid in the Clutch Master/Slave cylinder would cure any of those with manual trans. problems?
Doubt it....based on my experience, it's a problem with synchronizers inside the trans, NOT the clutch or how it engages. Clutch issues would lead to broken gears, or the clutch not engaging or disengaging.

I think the new clutch pedal is an way for nissan to give a placebo fix to customers since you can't "see" the synchros that they are hopefully replacing with higher quality ones.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:32 AM
rodH

update, I have a buld date of 12/02, I had VERY bad grinding all of the sudden about 2 months ago. It was replaced with the 0007 tranny. the grinding is gone, but it does have a slight "NOTCH" going 2-->3rd. BUT NO GRIND. I can live with that as long as it doesn't grind. the notch is very very slight.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:44 PM
dgz32

Apologies for the late post...

It only feels VERY slightly notchy in 1-4 on a cold start. I say very slightly, because it's barely noticeable and in my opinion (having owned all manual tranny cars - 4 of them Zs) nothing out of the ordinary. After the car is warm it really is buttery smooth. Quite a remarkable difference than before. I bought my car with 9450 miles on it so I can't really say that it feels like new...but it is a world of difference.

I didn't get the pedal assembly as some mentioned you should get with the replacement but I did get a master cylinder overhaul which makes me wonder is that is making much of the difference. Especially in light of the fact that I seem to have received an earlier generation transmission.

One last thing, when I picked the car up, I asked the service guy about it and he said that the new clevis pin they're putting in the new transmissions is making a big difference. I don't know weather he meant a new design or just a new pin. Whatever it is, I have it with my replacement.

I'll let you know how it does after I get some substantial miles on it...
Old 12-18-2003, 07:38 AM
prevostdriver

Just picked up my 04 touring and it was grinding in first gear as soon as i pulled out of the dealership...should i return the car since it had the problem from the start or let them try to fix it?
Old 12-19-2003, 08:46 AM
corsair

Originally posted by prevostdriver
Just picked up my 04 touring and it was grinding in first gear as soon as i pulled out of the dealership...should i return the car since it had the problem from the start or let them try to fix it?
I would demand your money back and wait about 3 years until the 350Z has all the bugs worked out (this is providing that Nissan is still making the 350Z in 3 years.)

I have 11,500 miles on my Z and just started to experience the grinding in third gear. After reading all of the posts there is no way in hell I am taking it in to have the tranny replaced. I do not trust the mechanics at Nissan to do a quality job on a new tranny install. I will tough it out until the car can't be driven and there is no other option.

Does anyone know the cost of the new tranny?
Old 12-27-2003, 02:11 PM
ZiggaDigga

Got a Tranny on order, should be delivered within the next week or so....
Old 01-06-2004, 06:09 PM
350z-z33

Thumbs up Mine replaced today

Got my new tranny installed by Westbury Nissan (Long Island, NY) today, everything drive very nice now. They replaced the Transmission, Rod Assy Push, and Clutch Pedal Assy. I'm a happy Z man again! (hope the front tire feathering/cupping problem can be resolve by Nissan soon)
Old 01-11-2004, 03:05 AM
Gary925

Default tranny

got my z for 2 months n i think i start having a tranny prob..

i bring it bak to the dealer this weekend n if there is will they fix it no charge !!
thx
Old 01-11-2004, 06:31 AM
Pit Bull

Default Re: tranny

Originally posted by Gary925
got my z for 2 months n i think i start having a tranny prob..

i bring it bak to the dealer this weekend n if there is will they fix it no charge !!
thx
Gary they will only fix it for free if you got the 5 year 60K mile warranty with your Z
Old 01-11-2004, 08:09 AM
350z-z33

Gary they will only fix it for free if you got the 5 year 60K mile warranty with your Z

Pit Bull, I think the 5yrs/60,000 miles is standard warranty for the power tran on all new Nissans, I got my new tranny for free.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Pit Bull

Originally posted by 350z-z33
Pit Bull, I think the 5yrs/60,000 miles is standard warranty for the power tran on all new Nissans, I got my new tranny for free.
Arn't they alway free when they are cover under warranty I was just being a smart *** with the 5yr/60K comment.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Static

Just got mine replaced at 27+K miles... I was grinding bad in 3rd for a long time, but it started out just being in the cold.. but later moved on to grinding when u tried shifting anywhere above 4k rpm. 2nd gear was also rough going in at times...

The new tranny is nice.. came along with the clutch pedal etc.. I'm still debating though.. only been a few days but second gear still seems to be the same way it used to be.. and i don't know why.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:19 PM
steve Hoff

Angry tranny noise

Originally posted by the doc
I have those exact same problems now - mileage = 1400. I also notice a burning/hot smell when accelerating hard. Could this be an exhaust leak? There is a whine in 6th in the highway, and the tranny or something is very noisy while idling in neutral.

I need to get mine checked out soon
Hey Doc, I am fighting w/my dealer right now re. tranny noise in neutral (and slow take off from 1st). The're saying it seems to be a "normal" sound when compared to other Z's. Funny how sales seemed to have missed that during their pitch! I'm not taking the car back 'till they resolve the noise (12,850) and I'm interested in how you make out w/your car..
Old 01-28-2004, 10:58 AM
overZealous

Add me to the list. Just had the latest transmission (008), clutch pedal assembly and clevis pin installed. After trying it out, all I can say is, can't the Nissan engineers get anything right on this car and how do I get my old transmission, clutch pedal assembly and clevis pin back? The old transmission was clunky, notchy, neither of which is actually a word, but tight. The new one is clunky, notchy and sloppy. It feels like they took this transmission directly out of a 1972 Datsun Pick-up with 245,000 miles on it. The clutch also now engages way too high up in the pedal travel. Seems like as soon as it wears a bit, or not, it will be prone to slipping. The mechanic also did not bother to line up the guide plate, or whatever is in there, correctly so I have to fish around for 5th and 6th. I've just about had it with this POS that Autoweek, in their infinite wisdom describes as, "A new Nissan 350Z is one of the world's great sports car bargains-one of the world's great sports cars, period, regardless of price." I can't help but notice that they don't actually own one though.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:02 PM
350z-z33

Originally posted by overZealous
The clutch also now engages way too high up in the pedal travel. Seems like as soon as it wears a bit, or not, it will be prone to slipping.
I notice the exact same thing right after I got the new transmission (a month ago, only put on less than 50 miles since due to the extreme BAD weather in NY), I thought it's because it's NEW and need some time to wear in. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's the way the new transmission is. Does anyone know if this can be adjusted? Thanks!

Last edited by 350z-z33; 01-28-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:26 PM
overZealous

Originally posted by 350z-z33
I notice the exact same thing right after I got the new transmission (a month ago, only put on less than 50 miles since due to the extreme BAD weather in NY), I thought it's because it's NEW and need some time to wear in. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's the way the new transmission is. Does anyone know if this can be adjusted? Thanks!
It can't be adjusted. That is why they had to replace the clevis pin and the pedal assembly in the first place. They (Nissan) apparently decided that people where trashing their transmissions because the engagement point was closer to the bottom of the travel and thus if you did not put the pedal all the way to the floor you would grind the gears. There was no way to adjust this so they redesigned the pedal. Now they have done just the opposite and moved it to the very top of the travel. And there is nowhere to go from there. That is not neccessarily a bad thing unless they have gone too far and the throwout bearing is in constant contact with the pressure plate and perhaps even exerting some force on the pressure plate even when you are not touching the pedal. It seems like they went too far to me.

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.