Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 06:46 AM
stopgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Notch - n. 1. A hollow cut in anything; a nick; an indentation.

Notchy - adj. 1. Having the qualities of something that has had notches carved into it; having been notched. Such as a manual transmission in which the gear selector seems to slide incrementally into a particular gear as though it's getting hung up on an obstruction or caught up in a groove or notch worn into the fork or within the selector housing itself.

Okay, so I made that last one up. But I'm sure you get the idea.

Scott
Old 02-27-2004, 01:31 AM
pulpz2

Originally posted by stopgo
Notch - n. 1. A hollow cut in anything; a nick; an indentation.

Notchy - adj. 1. Having the qualities of something that has had notches carved into it; having been notched. Such as a manual transmission in which the gear selector seems to slide incrementally into a particular gear as though it's getting hung up on an obstruction or caught up in a groove or notch worn into the fork or within the selector housing itself.

Okay, so I made that last one up. But I'm sure you get the idea.

Scott
So how does this feel different than the normal resistance imposed by the synchronizers? I've experienced this on every manual tranny vehicle I have ever driven. Although my '87 and '01 Civics exhibited this feeling the least while my Z exhibits this the most especially when it is cold.

I also had an '89 S-10 that I would always force into 1st gear while it was still rolling becuase I thought it was cool to here the synchros whine ( I was still in high school). Eventually the synchros quit working and down shifting into first would result in severe grinding unless at a complete stop.

Are you saying that "notchy" means that the gear selector feels like it is going into a gear when in fact it is getting hung up on some other obstruction other than the synchronizer lag?

If so does double-clutching help?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

car is in the shop getting tranny and clutch assembly replaced. I just got it back the day before yesterday for snapping the shifter and busting the shift assembly on it. Be nice to not have a 2nd & 5th gear grind anymore
Old 02-29-2004, 09:01 AM
stopgo

Originally posted by pulpz2
So how does this feel different than the normal resistance imposed by the synchronizers? I've experienced this on every manual tranny vehicle I have ever driven. Although my '87 and '01 Civics exhibited this feeling the least while my Z exhibits this the most especially when it is cold.

I also had an '89 S-10 that I would always force into 1st gear while it was still rolling becuase I thought it was cool to here the synchros whine ( I was still in high school). Eventually the synchros quit working and down shifting into first would result in severe grinding unless at a complete stop.

Are you saying that "notchy" means that the gear selector feels like it is going into a gear when in fact it is getting hung up on some other obstruction other than the synchronizer lag?

If so does double-clutching help?
It could very well be the synchros engaging that causes this. To be honest, I'm just not well versed enough to make that diagnosis. The new tranny feels worlds better than the one it replaced though, so my complaints thus far are simply nitpicks.

But with all the stories of folks going through multiple trannies, I'll remain skeptically optimistic at best.

Scott
Old 03-01-2004, 07:35 AM
Juztin

got the car back the same day last week, clutch feels lighter that my buds acura! This clutch is weaksauce, I miss my daily workout
Old 03-01-2004, 10:21 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Juztin
got the car back the same day last week, clutch feels lighter that my buds acura! This clutch is weaksauce, I miss my daily workout
They readjusted the pedal wrong...I'd *****...when I had my first trans replaced..they did that clevis pin fix and made the clutch pedal REALLY REALLY stiff and it moved the engagment point almost all the way out...which made my clutch start to slip after about a week. Went back in and showed the tech what was wrong...and he fixed it no problem.

Just any update...I had the 008 trans and pedal put in in the beginning a January...and it's still running tip top. Shifts great and the clutch feels great too. No grinds or hangups at all...I think I finally got a winner.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Juztin

Hmm thanks for the heads up, I'll check into that.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:14 AM
lemieux

do these tranny problems occur in the automatics or just the manuals
Old 03-12-2004, 06:14 PM
ssk0771

Originally posted by lemieux
do these tranny problems occur in the automatics or just the manuals
manual tranny only.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:41 AM
uro279

What does 'clutch slipping' mean? What are the symptoms?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:40 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by uro279
What does 'clutch slipping' mean? What are the symptoms?

Thanks.
The easiest way to see if your clutch is slipping is to put the car in 6th gear @ 40mph...and hammer on the gas...the high torque load on the clutch will cause it to slip if it's worn out or improperly adjusted. The "slipping" will be characterized by an increase in RPM without an increase in forward speed of the vehicle.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
The easiest way to see if your clutch is slipping is to put the car in 6th gear @ 40mph...and hammer on the gas...the high torque load on the clutch will cause it to slip if it's worn out or improperly adjusted. The "slipping" will be characterized by an increase in RPM without an increase in forward speed of the vehicle.
hugh? 6th at 40mph generates minimal torque, and will certainly not slip a clutch. Did you mean like 2nd or 3rd gear?
Old 03-13-2004, 08:21 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by gq_model_626
hugh? 6th at 40mph generates minimal torque, and will certainly not slip a clutch. Did you mean like 2nd or 3rd gear?
Obviously you've never experienced a slipping clutch. There is much more torque LOAD at low RPMs in a high gear because the engine has a harder time accelerating to the car. If you get a car with a "slipping clutch" up into the powerband in a gear...typically it won't slip.

If a clutch is starting to go...the first thing you'll notice is it slipping in the highest gear at lower RPMS and WOT.

Think about it this way....in 6th gear @40mph...the car is around 1500-1600rpms I believe. In 2nd gear @ 1500-1600rpms I believe the car is around 10-15mph. If you hammer on the gas while the car is @ 1500-1600rpms in 2nd it will get up and go pretty quickly and the clutch "loading" is minimal since you start to create positive enertia more quickly. If you hammer on the gas @ 1500-1600rpms in 6th @ 40mph...the engine still creates the same amound of TORQUE as it did in second gear...the problem is the gear is too tall so guess what takes all of that torque...you guessed it...the clutch.

That's why the clutch will slip in a higher gear @ a lower rpm.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:44 PM
ssk0771

Obviously you've never experienced a slipping clutch. There is much more torque LOAD at low RPMs in a high gear because the engine has a harder time accelerating to the car. If you get a car with a "slipping clutch" up into the powerband in a gear...typically it won't slip.

If a clutch is starting to go...the first thing you'll notice is it slipping in the highest gear at lower RPMS and WOT.

Think about it this way....in 6th gear @40mph...the car is around 1500-1600rpms I believe. In 2nd gear @ 1500-1600rpms I believe the car is around 10-15mph. If you hammer on the gas while the car is @ 1500-1600rpms in 2nd it will get up and go pretty quickly and the clutch "loading" is minimal since you start to create positive enertia more quickly. If you hammer on the gas @ 1500-1600rpms in 6th @ 40mph...the engine still creates the same amound of TORQUE as it did in second gear...the problem is the gear is too tall so guess what takes all of that torque...you guessed it...the clutch.

That's why the clutch will slip in a higher gear @ a lower rpm.
I think you make a lots of sense

I am just glad that I don't have to worry about that now. I had enough of tranny issues with my previous car.

Old 03-14-2004, 07:15 PM
swinke

Trans replaced at 8K. No synch into 3rd or 6th. Second hard to hit at high R's. The trans that was shipped in for the replacement of the first trans was DOA and the third trans was installed at the same visit to the shop. In conclusion I am on my third trans but only had the Z in for one shop visit.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:12 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by swinke
Trans replaced at 8K. No synch into 3rd or 6th. Second hard to hit at high R's. The trans that was shipped in for the replacement of the first trans was DOA and the third trans was installed at the same visit to the shop. In conclusion I am on my third trans but only had the Z in for one shop visit.
Did they give you cr@p about the Procharger???
Old 03-15-2004, 01:51 PM
got_jesus?

OMG...now the Z has tranny problems!!!!!!! With the window grease and the feathering problems at hand...man I am really checking twice about purchasing a Z...the S2k is looking better if Nissan is not coming up with solutions.....

I am sorry you guys are going thru this misfortune I hope Nissan will find a fix....

Last edited by got_jesus?; 03-15-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:16 PM
swinke

Did they give you cr@p about the Procharger???
Trans replace was pre-FI. Car was still stock at the time.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:39 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by got_jesus?
OMG...now the Z has tranny problems!!!!!!! With the window grease and the feathering problems at hand...man I am really checking twice about purchasing a Z...the S2k is looking better if Nissan is not coming up with solutions.....

I am sorry you guys are going thru this misfortune I hope Nissan will find a fix....
All the problems you listed are fixed for the 04 models...and my dealer has fixed them all on my 03....
Old 03-15-2004, 05:40 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by swinke
Trans replace was pre-FI. Car was still stock at the time.
Gotcha...you're using e-manage???? I though that didn't work very well with MAF systems??

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.