Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 07:00 PM
swinke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Gotcha...you're using e-manage???? I though that didn't work very well with MAF systems??
It works great for accurate timing re-map based on a boost/MAP table.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:09 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by swinke
It works great for accurate timing re-map based on a boost/MAP table.
very interesting...that's completely opposite of what I've heard from others on this forum...I must do more research.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:39 AM
got_jesus?

All the problems you listed are fixed for the 04 models...and my dealer has fixed them all on my 03....

I sure hope so...
Old 03-19-2004, 06:52 PM
emir

Talking TRANNY ALL ****ED UP

yeah i had my transmission replaced in january(approximately) My 350 is the first in Louisiana and i really wish i never got the ****ing thing. Every ****ing day i have a problem with it. My transmission would grind in 3 and 5th gears everytime. Now i have a lot of shaking in the car and it's ****ing annoying. Word from the wise. No one buy a 350 z
Old 03-19-2004, 07:14 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Default Re: TRANNY ALL ****ED UP

Originally posted by emir
yeah i had my transmission replaced in january(approximately) My 350 is the first in Louisiana and i really wish i never got the ****ing thing. Every ****ing day i have a problem with it. My transmission would grind in 3 and 5th gears everytime. Now i have a lot of shaking in the car and it's ****ing annoying. Word from the wise. No one buy a 350 z
HEY EVERYBODY!

We better all take advice from this guy who has 6 posts....and supposedly lives in Louisiana and New Jersey at the same time.

I smell a troll...
Old 03-19-2004, 08:10 PM
ssk0771

wow, he must live Louisiana, New Jersey
Old 03-20-2004, 12:23 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by ssk0771
wow, he must live Louisiana, New Jersey
probably...

Based on his expert advice...I'm getting rid of my "POS" 350z tomorrow!!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 05:11 PM
JonsilvZ

Getting a new auto tranny. Have 15,500 miles. Any autos having tranny problems?
Old 03-22-2004, 09:42 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by JonsilvZ
Getting a new auto tranny. Have 15,500 miles. Any autos having tranny problems?
wow...this is the FIRST I've heard of this....trans slipping or what??
Old 03-23-2004, 12:57 PM
MAC350Z

My car started grinding 3rd gear at 4000 miles. While I was on a road trip; got back 3000 miles later and it is being replaced. It sucks, I figured they had fix this problem on the '03's. Oh well, I get a hellva lot more looooooooks in this car than when I had my built motor, Mustang convertible...
Old 03-23-2004, 06:03 PM
JonsilvZ

Default Tranny is good!

Once the car was shut off for several sec, The AT check light was gone and the car runs normal! Dont need a new tranny!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:03 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by MAC350Z
My car started grinding 3rd gear at 4000 miles. While I was on a road trip; got back 3000 miles later and it is being replaced. It sucks, I figured they had fix this problem on the '03's. Oh well, I get a hellva lot more looooooooks in this car than when I had my built motor, Mustang convertible...
umm...the 03's were the first model year...the problem has been pretty much fixed for the 04s as far as I know.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:46 PM
Iezzi

I just got my Trans replaced at 11K Miles. I first had grind going from 2nd to 3rd at about 4K miles. As time went on it got worse and worse. I have a few questions about my replacement transmission. With my new transmission when I shift from 4th to 5th now, when sliding into 5th if I am pushing slightly to hard to the right it catchs on something and won't go into gear. Can this be adjusted? Also what kind of break in time, if any, should I follow before I can shift at higher RPMs? I have the newest replacement, 008# that also replaces the clutch pedeal
Old 03-31-2004, 03:17 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by dkent2
I just got my Trans replaced at 11K Miles. I first had grind going from 2nd to 3rd at about 4K miles. As time went on it got worse and worse. I have a few questions about my replacement transmission. With my new transmission when I shift from 4th to 5th now, when sliding into 5th if I am pushing slightly to hard to the right it catchs on something and won't go into gear. Can this be adjusted? Also what kind of break in time, if any, should I follow before I can shift at higher RPMs? I have the newest replacement, 008# that also replaces the clutch pedeal
My #008 replacement trans does the same thing with the 4th to 5th shift...my understanding is that it is a shifter adjustment issue and can be corrected, but I've already trained myself not to push the lever over as far when shifting.

No break-in is needed on a new trans.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:33 PM
myk

Originally posted by dkent2
Yes you can have the plate adjusted they didnt aline the pattern just tell them about it takes about 20-30 mins to do
Old 03-31-2004, 09:39 PM
guru_ck

Originally posted by pulpz2

I also had an '89 S-10 that I would always force into 1st gear while it was still rolling becuase I thought it was cool to here the synchros whine ( I was still in high school). Eventually the synchros quit working and down shifting into first would result in severe grinding unless at a complete stop.
This is going to sound stupid but this is my first manual transmission car so i'm still learning. I'll push the clutch in when coming to a stop and hit the brakes. Allot of the time ill try to put it into first with the car moving at about 10-15mph and it gives me that whirl noise. I take it this isn't very good for the car? Also say I am cruising the parking lot in 1st gear I will push the clutch in to hit the brakes and the car makes a clunk noise that sounds like it is going to break. And when the car is warm and I put it into neutral the tranny or something will make weird clicking noises. My car is 2 weeks old and was built 2/04. Sorry for all the questions but search is down. =)
Old 03-31-2004, 10:09 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by guru_ck
This is going to sound stupid but this is my first manual transmission car so i'm still learning. I'll push the clutch in when coming to a stop and hit the brakes. Allot of the time ill try to put it into first with the car moving at about 10-15mph and it gives me that whirl noise. I take it this isn't very good for the car? Also say I am cruising the parking lot in 1st gear I will push the clutch in to hit the brakes and the car makes a clunk noise that sounds like it is going to break. And when the car is warm and I put it into neutral the tranny or something will make weird clicking noises. My car is 2 weeks old and was built 2/04. Sorry for all the questions but search is down. =)
Forcing it into first gear at speed without revving the engine to match the speed of the engine to the trans will prematurely wear out the synchronizers. Try to wait until you are at or near stopped before putting it in first gear.

As for pushing the clutch in in first and hearing a clunk...that's just driveline slop...my car does it all the time...and I have 23K miles...perfectly normal.

The sound from the trans that you hear at idle is also normal...the 350Z has a heavy duty transmission and it makes noise (mostly bearing noise).....it's built to be strong...not quiet.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:12 PM
guru_ck

Forcing it into first gear at speed without revving the engine to match the speed of the engine to the trans will prematurely wear out the synchronizers. Try to wait until you are at or near stopped before putting it in first gear.

As for pushing the clutch in in first and hearing a clunk...that's just driveline slop...my car does it all the time...and I have 23K miles...perfectly normal.

The sound from the trans that you hear at idle is also normal...the 350Z has a heavy duty transmission and it makes noise (mostly bearing noise).....it's built to be strong...not quiet.
I really appreciate the information, that will help me allot. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2004, 10:15 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by guru_ck
I really appreciate the information, that will help me allot. Thanks!
no prob
Old 04-01-2004, 10:07 AM
richard2908

I am replacing my second transmission.

The first one went at 1800 miles and the second at 10,000.

I have a 2003 roadster / touring with a six speed.

I have been driving manual transmission vehicles for over 30 years, do not race or do burn outs, ride the clutch or mistreat the car in any way.

Nissan claims that this is normal wear and tear, but not after 1800 and 8200 miles respectively!

They are currently replacing the top under warranty ( there was a defect) and they should do the same for the clutch.

I refuse to be on the hook for a new transmission every 6 months!

I will let you know how it all turns out.

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.