Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 01:42 PM
overZealous

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by overZealous
Add me to the list. Just had the latest transmission (008), clutch pedal assembly and clevis pin installed. After trying it out, all I can say is, can't the Nissan engineers get anything right on this car and how do I get my old transmission, clutch pedal assembly and clevis pin back? The old transmission was clunky, notchy, neither of which is actually a word, but tight. The new one is clunky, notchy and sloppy. It feels like they took this transmission directly out of a 1972 Datsun Pick-up with 245,000 miles on it. The clutch also now engages way too high up in the pedal travel. Seems like as soon as it wears a bit, or not, it will be prone to slipping. The mechanic also did not bother to line up the guide plate, or whatever is in there, correctly so I have to fish around for 5th and 6th. I've just about had it with this POS that Autoweek, in their infinite wisdom describes as, "A new Nissan 350Z is one of the world's great sports car bargains-one of the world's great sports cars, period, regardless of price." I can't help but notice that they don't actually own one though.
At the risk of losing any remaining credibility I may have had on this board I would have to say that I over-reacted a bit. One gets used to their vehicle functioning in a certain way and any sudden departure from that does not seem normal. I apologize for that. Upon closer inspection it would seem that Nissan got the clutch pedal travel just about right. And all of that noise, that I had previously attributed to the throwout bearing is gone. So I guess the noise was coming from the transmission and not the bearing. That noise existed since I bought the car 14 months ago. The new transmission does seem prone to the same problem that the last one had however. It seems to grab going into 2nd and 3rd but I'll withhold judgement on that for a bit. Now I'll just need to get 5th and 6th lined up properly.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:21 PM
overZealous

Moving on, and adding insult to injury thus further increasing my own credibility gap, all while talking to myself on the Internet, I am actually quite happy with the new transmission et al. I just finished adjusting the shift control guide plate and the requisite test ride and it's working very well. How in the name of great googly mooga does one remove that shift ****? The manual says to turn counter clockwise but to no avail. I had to do the whole thing while juggling around the boot console, the insulation, the rubber seal, etc. It's doable like that but not easy. I could almost keep this car if they would just fix the damn tire cupping front suspension.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:35 PM
myk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Post here only if you have had your tranny replaced.

Originally posted by raceboy
I am gonna have to take my car in for a 2nd tranny replacement and I don't want to get blamed for abusing my car. If you have had your tranny replaced. Please post here. This will be a good list for anyone that needs to get a replacement and doesn't want any hassles. Just print it out and take it to your dealer. It will prove a history with many cars with the same problem.

Just post the date (or close to it) and post a second time if you have had it done more than once.

PLEASE ONLY POST IN HERE ABOUT YOUR REPLACEMENTS AND NOTHING ELSE. JUST REPLACEMENTS AND DATES (OR APPROXIMATE DATE).

I will go first:
Well I got all of you beat Iam on my 3rd and its at the dealer again 1st around 4500 2nd 10,000 3rd at 11,000 I have 11800 now after this time Iam going leamon law route.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:17 PM
ssk0771

read my sig & I am still having tranny problems. Nissan tech says that "that how the 350Z's are made" Thats bunch of CRAP.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:41 PM
iLLestJrz

Today on 1-31-04
Old 02-02-2004, 08:11 AM
steve Hoff

Still love my Z but the French influence is showing at my service dept. ...pass the grey poupon and pass me the number to my local Ford dealership...I think I'll take my chances w/the '05 Mustang...
Old 02-03-2004, 01:47 AM
pulpz2

Originally posted by steve Hoff
...I think I'll take my chances w/the '05 Mustang...
Good Luck.. I bought an '93 Ford Probe GT back in '94 and it fell apart. It was by far the worst experience I have had with any car I ever owned.

Don't think the build quality and customer service will be any better with a American built first year production vehicle.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:52 AM
steve Hoff

[ hi pulpz2...you're probably right about another 1st year car, but I only plan on keeping it 'till the new Cobra comes out, and besides it's nice stress relief to do a lil' bichin!!

Akso re:Nissan in general. After trading in the worst car I have ever owned from a reliability standpoint (a 2002 Sentra Spec V) I was PROMISED outstanding service by the friendly people at Corona Nissan, and of course here I am w/my pants down around my ankles.

My Dad always said,"If you make a mistake once that's ignorance, but if you make it twice.... that's stupid!" Shame on me!
Old 02-03-2004, 07:29 AM
Pit Bull

I think I will buy a new Ford GT40, ha, ha
Old 02-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Thaddeus

Had mine replaced late December at aprox. 16500 miles.
With the wether in Michigan I have not had the opportunity to work it particularly hard. Therefore I am not certain if the new unit is a total fix or not. By the way, they also replaced the clutch and the clutch pedal. Something to do with full release of clutch with less throw and NNA wanting to see how the clutch was wearing.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Zpeedster12

Sorry to interrupt, I notice these are the manual transmission problems, was there any problems with the auto tranny? tried search, but couldn't yeild the correct results, I appreciate the help.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Pit Bull

Not that I've seen.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:48 PM
overZealous

At the risk of losing any remaining credibility I may have had on this board I would have to say that I over-reacted a bit. One gets used to their vehicle functioning in a certain way and any sudden departure from that does not seem normal. I apologize for that. Upon closer inspection it would seem that Nissan got the clutch pedal travel just about right. And all of that noise, that I had previously attributed to the throwout bearing is gone. So I guess the noise was coming from the transmission and not the bearing. That noise existed since I bought the car 14 months ago. The new transmission does seem prone to the same problem that the last one had however. It seems to grab going into 2nd and 3rd but I'll withhold judgement on that for a bit. Now I'll just need to get 5th and 6th lined up properly.
For the record...I have been driving with the new tranny (32010-CD008) for about a week now and I have reverted to my first impression regarding the functioning of this new and improved unit. It is now "clunking" into third gear on just about every shift. I am at a loss for words.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:58 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

For the record...I have been driving with the new tranny (32010-CD008) for about a week now and I have reverted to my first impression regarding the functioning of this new and improved unit. It is now "clunking" into third gear on just about every shift. I am at a loss for words.
I had my second replacement trans done at the beginning of January. It was also the (32010-CD008) with the replacement clutch pedal. The clutch pedal is greatly improved in my mind...it now moves very smoothly and freely and seems to engage right around the middle of travel. The trans shifts great and doesn't make all the noise that my original and first replacement made.

Overall, I think nissan finally fixed my car

I'll report back around 5000 miles on the new trans.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:16 PM
FstQban

Not sure if I am happy about being able to join this thread yet but I am anyway!!!

Finally having my tranny replaced at 16k miles along with the clutch. Hopefully first time is a charm for me...we'll see though
Old 02-06-2004, 02:32 PM
roark

OK, I drove home with my first replacement tranny last night (and Nismo flywheel of course.)

My first impressions are:
1) MUUUUUCCHHHH quieter. I hope it stays that way.
B) Shifting is a lot tighter, again, I hope that stays like it is now. Thirdly) I still hear a bit of noise in neutral with the clutch out, but it's much less pronounced than it was.
4) I'm taking it easy for the first 500mi. so I can't say about missing shifts or not yet.

Wish me luck.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:52 PM
bshockley

Well, I had my transmission replace last week. My car has just under 2800 miles on it. Not 28 thousand, 28 hundred. I got the car back Friday, Feburary 6th. It is now Sunday. I have put a total of about 45-50 miles on her since Friday, and my transmission is worse than before. I got the latest trans, the -008 part number. They even replaced the clevis pin. I was very excited on Friday to get her back, really looking forward to a weekend of cruising around.

I really don't know what to say at this point. I am very busy at work and school right now and don't have time to deal with this. I really wish it would just work as it's supposed to. I am at the piont that I am going to have to get my money back on this. I really love the car when it runs correctly, but I am not going to pay 30K for a half asses auto.

I am to the point that my 1991 Toyota Corolla with 165K miles is my "reliable" car.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:29 PM
jplvr

2 transmission replacements for me. 3rd one has lasted a while, but it's noisy as hell. Can't remember dates or mileage at the moment, but the 3rd tranny has lasted longer than the other 2 combined.

Going to talk with the service department when I get my next oil change, but the old SM went into sales and the new guy sucks donkey ####. I haven't had one intelligent exchange with this guy and I don't forsee one in the near future.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:56 AM
zarth

problem started at 8K, took them til 15K to get me a new tranny, 25K so far-so good.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:21 PM
myk

Well I'll be getting my car back tomorrow with a new tranny and clutch will see how things go. I decided that this will be my last time dealing with the problem next step lemon law. I feel that after 5!!!!! tranny they would get it right. Been civil about the whole problem so To show that I at least I went along with nissan's way. and to have a record of the problems. Will let you guys know in a few weeks of testing this tranny.

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.