Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 07:47 AM
steve Hoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK...My original comment regarding the quality of service at Corona Nissan still stands...It sucks! BUT...the honeymoon w/my Z is back on. After being contacted (almost immediately) by Jeff @ Performance Nissan, who spent quite a bit of time talking to my about the Z, I cruised up there and purchased the cat-back exhaust system from Nismo and a "pop-charger" intake.
What a difference! The sound and performance improvement is incredible!!!! Oh, and all that noise about buying a new Mustang?.....never mind. I'll just bypass my local dealer and do all my business w/Performance Nissan.
Corona Nissan, if you're listening go up to Performance and see how it's done right!!
Old 02-13-2004, 07:58 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by steve Hoff
OK...My original comment regarding the quality of service at Corona Nissan still stands...It sucks! BUT...the honeymoon w/my Z is back on. After being contacted (almost immediately) by Jeff @ Performance Nissan, who spent quite a bit of time talking to my about the Z, I cruised up there and purchased the cat-back exhaust system from Nismo and a "pop-charger" intake.
What a difference! The sound and performance improvement is incredible!!!! Oh, and all that noise about buying a new Mustang?.....never mind. I'll just bypass my local dealer and do all my business w/Performance Nissan.
Corona Nissan, if you're listening go up to Performance and see how it's done right!!
I have a crappy Nissan stealership 5 mintues from my home...but I bought my car at one that's 30 mintues away...simply because of the difference in the way they treat their customers and potential customers.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:40 PM
pulpz2

Originally posted by steve Hoff
Oh, and all that noise about buying a new Mustang?.....never mind. I'll just bypass my local dealer and do all my business w/Performance Nissan.
Don’t forget dude ...its about the car not the service. Z forever: solid axle never.

The mustang is definitely improved but when it comes right down to it, it’s still a mustang.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:49 PM
pulpz2

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I have a crappy Nissan stealership 5 mintues from my home...but I bought my car at one that's 30 mintues away...simply because of the difference in the way they treat their customers and potential customers.
Man, talking about crappy dealers, I went to six different dealers in Ohio before I bought a Z. I was pre-approved through Nissan Credit and told them that if we could work a reasonable deal I would buy that day. Nothing but low-ball offers. I finally bought at Jeff Wyler Nissan, which is 1 hour away from Dayton in Cincinnati.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

900 Miles
Car was built in 11/03
Old 02-16-2004, 10:29 PM
ssk0771

Originally posted by gq_model_626
900 Miles
Car was built in 11/03
Did you get your Tranny Replace? Is that what you are saying? After 900 miles you got your tranny replace?

Old 02-17-2004, 06:20 AM
lascala26

I need a little help here....

I have the feathering issue and I am well versed on that subject. The transmission issue I am not. My car has 6200 miles on it and this is what is happening now: My transmission whistles when the car is cold. I also experience some difficulting shifting into second and into third (cold or warm). It can be "clanky" at times. I brought the car to the dealership and they stated they were unable to duplicate the problem. They also performed a visual inspection of the tranny and everything "checked out". What should I do? Keep driving until it goes if it goes?
Old 02-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Thaddeus

Originally posted by lascala26
I need a little help here....

I have the feathering issue and I am well versed on that subject. The transmission issue I am not. My car has 6200 miles on it and this is what is happening now: My transmission whistles when the car is cold. I also experience some difficulting shifting into second and into third (cold or warm). It can be "clanky" at times. I brought the car to the dealership and they stated they were unable to duplicate the problem. They also performed a visual inspection of the tranny and everything "checked out". What should I do? Keep driving until it goes if it goes?
I had the same response for transmission issues. In the end I took the service tech for a drive and demonstrated the issue. The show and tell seemed to help.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:30 AM
lascala26

Thaddeus,

Did they give you a new tranny?
Old 02-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Thaddeus

Thaddeus,

Did they give you a new tranny?
Yes, the latest revision as of 12/18/03 when it was replaced. I had some long conversations with NNA consumer Affairs to get this. I also met with the NNA engneers doing the now famous 'What front end problem' tour and they agreed a transmission replacement was in order. The replacement authorization had already been issued, therefore, their coments were irelevant.

If you have any grinding that you can reproduce for the service people or get them to experience, there should be no issue. It took me aproximately 6 or 7 months to get mine replaced.

Good luck
Old 02-17-2004, 10:47 AM
lascala26

My tranny isn't grinding yet. It is just hard, sometimes, to place the car into second and third gear. Doesn't feel like it did when I got it.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:08 AM
Thaddeus

My tranny isn't grinding yet. It is just hard, sometimes, to place the car into second and third gear. Doesn't feel like it did when I got it.
The dealer in my area responds well to any condition being different than other Z's as a reason to replace ofending items. You might try to get your service people to compare yours to another vehicle.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:31 AM
nandoarc

My tranny was replaced on 2/20/04 with 7800 miles at Westbury Nissan. After driving the car during the weekend, more noticible sunday the problem still there, before it was replace the grinding was not that bad, now its worse; even shift to 1st gear sometimes is hard......sucks. And top of that I told them about rattle in the dashboard (driver side close to the windshield) they isolate the problem to the air flow vents, the service manager told me they remove the dash to fix it.....after 2 days rattle appears again plus they did a poor job reassambling the dash, broken plastic pieces don't match properly and even the rest foot pedal does not stay in place, they broke the assembly......I will take the car to a different dealer for second opinion.....
Old 02-23-2004, 11:47 AM
350z-z33

Originally posted by nandoarc
My tranny was replaced on 2/20/04 with 7800 miles at Westbury Nissan. After driving the car during the weekend, more noticible sunday the problem still there, before it was replace the grinding was not that bad, now its worse; even shift to 1st gear sometimes is hard......sucks. And top of that I told them about rattle in the dashboard (driver side close to the windshield) they isolate the problem to the air flow vents, the service manager told me they remove the dash to fix it.....after 2 days rattle appears again plus they did a poor job reassambling the dash, broken plastic pieces don't match properly and even the rest foot pedal does not stay in place, they broke the assembly......I will take the car to a different dealer for second opinion.....
Sorry to hear that! I was in Westbury Nissan for my tranny replacement about 7 weeks ago, everything went OK, however I started to notice sometime it's hard to shift to the 2nd gear. On top of that......my front tire cupping problem is still there after they swap the tires side to side (costed me $65 for that, cause my Z is over 12 month new and NOT cover by adjustment warranty any more ). NISSAN really need to fix all these major problems/defects to gain our confidence (if any) in them.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:12 PM
zperfect

Default tranny question

Help, just left the dealer for tire noise as well as tranny problems....
they gave me a wheel alignment rotate the tires and still same noise...
2nd they told me i need new trans.
while they do the trans is there anything
i should change/upgrade while they are doing trans work. hopefully to benifit my driving experience
any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated......
Old 02-23-2004, 12:20 PM
nandoarc

Hey EVO,

When you have the problem shifting to 2nd..?? cold weather, etc or does it all the time. I felt the same problem also after 2nd day....will check it tonight one more time.
I'm afraid to take the car to the Inwood dealer (Five towns), even know I got the car from them, but they don't seem to know what they doing....
I will try the Valley Stream dealer for a 2nd opinion....I actually regreat to do the rattle, I knew something like this will happen but took my chances....well let see

Any other good dealer in LI ????
Old 02-23-2004, 05:18 PM
350z-z33

Originally posted by nandoarc
Hey EVO,

When you have the problem shifting to 2nd..?? cold weather, etc or does it all the time. I felt the same problem also after 2nd day....will check it tonight one more time.
I'm afraid to take the car to the Inwood dealer (Five towns), even know I got the car from them, but they don't seem to know what they doing....
I will try the Valley Stream dealer for a 2nd opinion....I actually regreat to do the rattle, I knew something like this will happen but took my chances....well let see

Any other good dealer in LI ????
The problem with shifting to the 2nd is when the tranny is cold and after drive it for a while it gets better but still can feel the slight grinding noise.

Also, I've notice the clicking noise (when clutch is not engage) had reappear now. That noise was the main reason I had NISSAN replace the tranny because some bearing in it is bad. Now after driving it for ONLY 500 miles that noise is back again!!!!! If it gets worst I'll contact NISSAN again.

What's wrong with Nissan's tranny engineer (oh...the front suspension engineer too)!!!!!

As far as LI NISSAN Service Center......I don't really know, I got refer to WESTBURY Nissan by Dan in Smithtown Nissan, because he say WESTBURY Nissan is a more "Mod-Friendly" dealer and I think they are. Nice clean shop too! But since I live in Queens I might just goto the Nissan Service center 5 min from my house (Star Nissan) next time.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:09 AM
PoWeRtRiP

tranny being replaced on 2/25 due to a metallic grinding noise in neutral which was not attributed to be wear on the throwout bearing. build date 12/03 #9377
Old 02-25-2004, 06:48 PM
stopgo

Default Shop Around For Service

Just picked up my Z with its new tranny. 16,000 mls on the clock, but problems began well over 10,000 mls ago. I finally found a Nissan dealer willing to address the problem (Sheehy Mannassas, VA service sucks. I found some success at Brown's Sterling VA). The vehicle had been taken to Sheehy four times in order to have the tranny looked at, and each time I was told that everything was fine. This, despite my insistence that gears ground, 2nd and 3rd were notchy, and there was decided movement in the gear stick during normal driving, particularly when letting off the gas while in gear.

3rd is still slightly notchy, and I'm not confident that the problem is truly solved. I looked at the invoice and I do have the 008 tranny; will post if anything goes awry with this one. Ambient air temp. was about 38F when I picked the car up and it was only a short drive home, so perhaps it'll feel better with the engine and fluids properly warmed up.

Scott
Old 02-26-2004, 02:03 AM
pulpz2

OK, fill me in.
Would someone describe "notchy"?

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.