Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 09:40 AM
Conceyted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by dnguyent
I posted earlier about the notchiness going into 2nd and 3rd gear accompanied by occasional clunks. I recently noticed that 5th gear groans on light to moderate acceleration. Just recently, I tried quick shifting and when I push down on the clutch swiftly, there's a rattling noise by the time my foot is bottomed out. The rattling noise is more pronounced when I don't shift into gear (no clunk noise to hide it).

So, I brought the car in for its 3750 mile oil change, and asked the service writer to check into all that noise coming from the transmission, along with stuck gas cap, and a few clicking noises from the rear.

The service writer calls me 2 hours later to concur that it indeed does not sound normal, and that they are on the phone with NNA, trying to isolate the problem.

4 hours after that phone call, the service writer calls me up, and tells me I need my transmission replaced. A new tranny is on order... My build date is July 2003

Do you feel paranoid now?
holy ****. Everything you described is idential to what mine does. When I bring it in for an oil change I will talk with them. I really just want a 4th gen tranny, the smooth one without all of this bs 2nd gear notchiness
Old 11-24-2003, 07:23 PM
ssk0771

I am still having a tranny issue also. I already had 2 trannys replaced & 2 clevis pin and still no luck. I have a very strong knoch or a grind going from 1st to 2nd in the moring. I have knoch on my 2nd or 3rd on & off through out the day, my 5th is very very sticky. I don't know what to do. I complained to NNA many times and they don't know what to do also. I adjusted my clutch many many times.

Now I am starting to think its not the tranny. Maybe its something that is related like clutch or the linkage between gear & the trannies.

I don't want another tranny unless I know for sure it will solve my probelm.

My luck can't be that bad. Still having problems after 2 trannies.

I really need some help.

Any thoughts or suggestion.

Does any one have any phone numbers I can call like tech support for NISSAN?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:31 AM
dnguyent

Originally posted by ssk0771
I am still having a tranny issue also. I already had 2 trannys replaced & 2 clevis pin and still no luck. I have a very strong knoch or a grind going from 1st to 2nd in the moring. I have knoch on my 2nd or 3rd on & off through out the day, my 5th is very very sticky. I don't know what to do. I complained to NNA many times and they don't know what to do also. I adjusted my clutch many many times....
That's bad news. I don't want a new trannie if it's going to be the same one that was put in on ssk0771's car on 11/11/03. I should have waited until they got it resolved as I don't like having the car torn apart. Everytime something is replaced, there are bound to be spare parts left over oops!

I don't even have the grinding yet, and they are proposing to replace it... But, I chose to have it replaced because I don't want a defective transmission possibly damaging otherwise nondefective components connected to it. What a PITA.

I just have to laugh because I've been reading about the tire feathering issues too, and anticipate the day I look at my front tires, and see the pronounced wear pattern and hear the roar. Hey, at least it's not prostate cancer...
Old 11-25-2003, 05:24 PM
Pit Bull

I traded a 1 ton, 6 speed Cummins turbo diesel in on the Z. This thing shifts like butter
Old 11-25-2003, 10:34 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't realize I hadn't posted in here yet.

I had my first trans replaced at just under 5000 miles in 4/03 for a third gear grind.

I now have just over 18,000 miles and the new trans started grinding ever once in a while into SIXTH around late august (~16,000 miles)...it hasn't gotten worse yet and only does it every once in a while, so I'm going to sit on it for a while.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:22 AM
hwj

VIN # 00161 Build Date 7/02 Delivery Date 9/02

I had the trans. replaced in July 2003 with 6100 miles. The problem started within a month of delivery once the weather began to get colder during the day. Now that the cold weather is here I can report the "new" trans. is PERFECT over the last 4 months of use. The car now has 11200 miles today, 11/26/03. No more "cold gear oil - third gear - upshift grind."

Now if we could only get Nissan to solve the RE040 tire wear / noise problems...

Regardless, I still love this car!
Old 12-01-2003, 04:48 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I just started a thread with the new fix for your trans problems. We have installed 2 now and they are SMOOTH!! https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=51838
Old 12-01-2003, 10:44 AM
dnguyent

I picked up my car with the new trannie a few days ago. The invoice shows part no. 32010-CD008, which based on Jeff's post, appears to be the latest version. Thanks for the info, Jeff!

However, I didn't get the replacement clutch pedal assembly, and I feel that I must inform my dealer that they need to replace that part as well (assumming that it's not already part no. 46503-CD011 because I have an '04). Before I do that, I just need a few clarifications: Is NNA requiring the new clutch pedal assembly replacement for all trannie replacements or is it model year dependent?

As for my thoughts on the new trannie, I think it's OK. Sometimes it's buttery smooth, and at other times, it's still downright notchy. In general, upshifting is smoother, but downshifting has a bit more notchiness and resistance than before. The clutch seems to engage a little higher up, which has improved my shifting smoothness, as my last car had the same characteristics. There is still the clunking or clanking sound when shifting going into 2nd and 3rd. Furthermore, that rattle is still present when I press the clutch down swiftly going out of 1st or 2nd.

Finally, that 5th gear vibration is gone. All in all, I'm fine with these characteristics as long as it doesn't grind, and as long as these sounds are considered normal. Since I'm not a mechanic or trannie engineer, I'll probably never know what's normal for this type of trannie.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by dnguyent
Before I do that, I just need a few clarifications: Is NNA requiring the new clutch pedal assembly replacement for all trannie replacements or is it model year dependent?
It is for all Z's that need a tranny replacement.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got my tranny replaced 11/03 at about 22,000 miles. My dealership replaced it no problem. The 1-2 and 3-4 are very smooth but the 2-3 is still a little notchy, so is 5th gear. I only have about 1k miles on the new tranny so I'm going to see if it smoothes out. I also noticed the same idle clunking noise once in a while as the 1st tranny, but not as much or as loud.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:50 PM
boxsterkiller

I am pre-order Z and my tranny was replaced no problem threw in the Nismo fly wheel at 10,300 mi. I have heard of a couple Different trannys out, hopefully I got a good one. I your in So.Cal get your Z worked on at Performance, they really take care of the Z owner and like Jason said they don't mind the mods. If I were getting a third tranny though I'd probably go with the lemon law.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:52 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I just had my tranny replaced with the newest revision of the tranny which includes replacing the clutch pedal.

posting review in my tilton thread i am starting now...
Old 12-03-2003, 11:21 PM
MySunset350Z

ne of these tranny problems with the auto trans Z's? just curious. anyone?
Old 12-04-2003, 04:07 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by MySunset350Z
ne of these tranny problems with the auto trans Z's? just curious. anyone?
nope, I think since nissan is changing the clutch pedle now it has something to do with how the old clutch pedal's engaged or something, who knows....
Old 12-11-2003, 01:20 PM
MaxZmus

Default New Tranny

I have new transmission on order, approx 17K miles, Touring VIN1018
Old 12-11-2003, 05:24 PM
dima126

first tranny replased at 800 miles , secound tranny at 5000 miles and soon to be third at 8000 miles. first one was on 9/2/02, second one on 5/25/03. i hate this tranny problem. what am i gonna be replacing them all my life. i hear the RSX has an even worce problem...
Old 12-11-2003, 05:27 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Thumbs down

I am on # 3 as of now.

Should it happen again....I will be demanding a refund and have to select another vehicle.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:05 PM
dgz32

My Nissan dealer just installed a new transmission in my car this week, and had been experiencing the second-to-third gear grind every once in a while. I have a '03 Track with a build date of 10.02.

Had a great experience with the dealer. They went ahead and ordered the new tranny without my asking for a replacement. I'd just mentioned that I'd been experiencing the problem. They couldn't duplicate the issue when I had it in for service, but ordered a replacement anyway. I was very surprised, as I figured I'd have to argue my cause. The switched it out in one day, service could not have been any better.

From my receipt, it looks like the installed tranny and clutch clevis "countermeasure parts" were numbers 32010-CD00 6 and 30631-CD000. They also overhauled the clutch master cylinder assembly. The result...a world of difference. Shifting is much smoother and sure. The difference in smoothness, though, is remarkable.

Dave
Old 12-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Stu E

Default Overhaul of clutch master cylinder?

I would like to know exactly what was done here. I now have CD008 and it's better but still notchy, especially when cold. Could you describe in even more detail how your car shifts now, when cold and warm?

Maybe this master cylinder rebuild is the key here.

Thanks,

Stu E.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:35 PM
ssk0771

Default Re: Overhaul of clutch master cylinder?

Originally posted by Stu E
I would like to know exactly what was done here. I now have CD008 and it's better but still notchy, especially when cold. Could you describe in even more detail how your car shifts now, when cold and warm?

Maybe this master cylinder rebuild is the key here.

Thanks,

Stu E.
What is a Master cylinder? I hope that is the key. My car is at the dealer now getting new tranny, clutch pedal assembly & aligment for feathering issue.

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.