Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

I have no gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 04:35 PM
markg350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I have no gears

Just got home from the MARINE an took my 03track out for a spin. drove about an hour no problem. On the way home i turned my VDC off an got on it. 1st(about5000RPM) 2nd(5500RPM) an then 3er. IHAD NOTHING all gears r gone. Will not engage any gear.itdident even make a sound just a bunch of free play on the shifter. WHAT HAPPEN????????? THANKS FOR ANY HELP......The pedel feels fine.

Last edited by markg350; 01-01-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Left somthing out
Old 01-01-2009, 06:42 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The gears are still there. I promise.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:54 PM
*Boose*

I don't know man. The gears may have fallen through the case.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:55 PM
LVZ053

I believe you killed your clutch. Do you smell burning clutch?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:07 AM
gyotar

sounds like a clutch to me...
Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 PM
markg350

no i dident smell nothing or heard anything. so i guess i start looking for a new clutch?
Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 PM
markg350

Angry No gears

Originally Posted by LVZ053
I believe you killed your clutch. Do you smell burning clutch?
Thanks for the help.. i did ent smell anything. the pedal would feel funny if it was the clutch RITE?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:36 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by markg350
Thanks for the help.. i did ent smell anything. the pedal would feel funny if it was the clutch RITE?
No. Peddle feel and clutch to flywheel contact are unrelated.

This is simple troubleshooting for a mechanic to figure out what is and what is not working properly. Take the car to a competent mechanic.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when the car is off, if you move the shifter lever, does anything happen? is there any resistance there, or does it just wobble around?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:25 PM
markg350

U got it. the shifter just wobbles around no resistance at all. got a good clutch/flyweel setup u would recomend.if thats what it is. ill try to getto a shop somtime real soon. (cant wait to see how much this will cost) The shops around me have no idea what the hell there doing. i wouldent take my honda to any of them an i hate dealerships but i might not have a choice. once again thanks for all the feed back.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:33 PM
davidv

U got it. the shifter just wobbles around no resistance at all. got a good clutch/flyweel setup u would recomend.if thats what it is. ill try to getto a shop somtime real soon. (cant wait to see how much this will cost) The shops around me have no idea what the hell there doing. i wouldent take my honda to any of them an i hate dealerships but i might not have a choice. once again thanks for all the feed back.
Ask for a shop recommendation in your regional forum.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

hard to say for sure without being there, but sounds alot like the problem I had on my own car over the summer. Good news it's an easy DIY fix if this is indeed the problem

Take the shift **** off and pop off the shifter surround plate with the shifter boot (unplug the a/c module from the back and snap the piece out of place). From there, take out the 4 x 10mm bolts that hole the metal "ring" in place, and the rubber insulator boot and cloth piece will come out. With that out, you'll be able to literally see the ground now. Looking down at where the shifter lever goes, hopefully what you'll find is that the bolt and nut that are used to secure the lever to the shifter mechanism is gone. On my car, they actually came out but were still sitting right in the little 'tunnel', so I was able to fix it quickly. If that turns out to be it, get the car up in the air on jackstands and replace the bolt and nut from underneath - use a bit of threadlock on there and it won't ever come off again.

Good luck, hopefully that's the problem
Old 01-04-2009, 04:25 PM
markg350

hey man THANKS ALOT for all your help. i start start school(to get my CDL classA) tommorw so as soon as i have time i will check that out. Youve been a big help an if i ever need anything for my z ill give u a call or drop a line. once again thanks.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:53 AM
markg350

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
hard to say for sure without being there, but sounds alot like the problem I had on my own car over the summer. Good news it's an easy DIY fix if this is indeed the problem

Take the shift **** off and pop off the shifter surround plate with the shifter boot (unplug the a/c module from the back and snap the piece out of place). From there, take out the 4 x 10mm bolts that hole the metal "ring" in place, and the rubber insulator boot and cloth piece will come out. With that out, you'll be able to literally see the ground now. Looking down at where the shifter lever goes, hopefully what you'll find is that the bolt and nut that are used to secure the lever to the shifter mechanism is gone. On my car, they actually came out but were still sitting right in the little 'tunnel', so I was able to fix it quickly. If that turns out to be it, get the car up in the air on jackstands and replace the bolt and nut from underneath - use a bit of threadlock on there and it won't ever come off again.

Good luck, hopefully that's the problem
I wish i couldput pic up but i got the plate of (looking at the groundand that ruber gropment off the transmision hole ) All i see is the ball of the shifter rooling freeley in the transmision like it poped up.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

ok - the shifter lever is held in with a single bolt and nut - IIRC it's 10mm. Is that still attached? Does the shifter have any resistance to it, or does it just wobble around freely
Old 01-11-2009, 08:33 AM
markg350

Default no gears

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
ok - the shifter lever is held in with a single bolt and nut - IIRC it's 10mm. Is that still attached? Does the shifter have any resistance to it, or does it just wobble around freely
(note, i do not have the car in the air) but im not seeing any bolt or nut missing(that might be cause its not there) , but the ball of the shifter is just rolling(wobbling) freely in the trans. im jumping back an fourth from the car an shovling 12inches of snow soo i havent give it a hugelook over but thats what im seeing with the car on the ground.NO RESISTANCE AT ALL when moving the shifter around. Do i need to get under the car to see some of this stuff?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

the lever basically sits in a pocket, and there is a single nut/bolt combo that keeps the lever connected to the arm that actually moves the gears. The lever itself doesn't sit "in" the transmission like on, say a T5 type, It might be easier to see it from under the car, so if you get a chance, get it up in the air and maybe snap a pic, and I can help you from there

Or maybe some one has the exploded diagram from the factory service manual they can post? I don't have a copy on my laptop unfortunately
Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 AM
markg350

got photos in an album.

Last edited by markg350; 01-13-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 PM
markg350

i didnt know how to put photos up on the fourm soo i put them in an album. check them out]

Last edited by markg350; 01-13-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

you have to take the 3 bolt bracket off as well to be able to see if the bolt I'm talking about is still connected or not

Quick Reply: I have no gears