Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My Z was hit by a Surfing Board on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 07:00 PM
toothlessracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My Z was hit by a Surfing Board on the freeway

Yesterday on my way back from work I was stuck in traffic in the fast lane (a bout 5 mph) I looked over to the number 2 lane to see if I could change lanes. When I looked back to my lane I saw 2 flying surf boards about 5 feet away from the hood of the car. Seems someone in the carpool lane didn't tie them down.

How much do you guys think a shop will charge to fix this. The left headlight lens was also scratched but it's hard to see in the picstures.
Attached Thumbnails My Z was hit by a Surfing Board on the freeway-dscn1426.jpg  
Old 09-10-2003, 07:02 PM
toothlessracer

Angry second pic

picture front view
Attached Thumbnails My Z was hit by a Surfing Board on the freeway-dscn1421.jpg  
Old 09-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the owners of the surfboards going to pay for this? I sure hope so!
Old 09-10-2003, 07:38 PM
toothlessracer

I was going about 5 mph while they were going about 70 - 80 never got their plates.

Depending on bill I might have to file a claim on my insurance. If it's not much more than my deductible I'll just pay it myself.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:03 PM
bz8

You may think it's a small job. Your hood probably needs to be replaced since it's aluminum and bends easily ($300-$400 for part, $500-$600 for paint job), paint job will need to blend with fenders. Can't see if you bumper is damaged or not, if not probably color sand and reclear (Part if necessary $200-$300, $400-$500 for paint job). Total cost of repair will probably run you any where from $1200 minimum to $1800 maximum. Just my rough estimate. Hope this helps.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:48 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by toothlessracer
I was going about 5 mph while they were going about 70 - 80 never got their plates.

Depending on bill I might have to file a claim on my insurance. If it's not much more than my deductible I'll just pay it myself.
WHA....! You're in a Z, you could do 70-80 in less than 8 secs.

lol, JK

So the idiots just left their surf boards behind? Hope up picked it up, atleast you can sell it on ebay to help pay for the damage. Hmmm, maybe the idiots that dropped it winds up buying it
Old 09-10-2003, 10:01 PM
wu350Z

sorry to hear that
Old 09-10-2003, 11:17 PM
BigBadBlackTrack

dude that sucks! im from LA too and i have a hood that i can sell for you cheap like 200. it has a minor scratch but its black now so you need to paint it anyways. i just need to clear up some space in the garage. i hope this can help you somewhat.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:00 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The surfbds would really be damaged if they caused that impact on his hood. Trying to get money out of a Butthole surfer is not easy. My bet is he has no insurance.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:20 PM
toothlessracer

I've gotten 2 quotes so far.

One shop says they need to replace the hood and light, blend the fenders and it takes about 4 days @ $1600. I've never seen their work. There was an old E class from the early 80s and a Civic they were working on. I wasn't impressed by the quality of work that I saw.

Another shop said they can fix the hood, buff out the scratche on the head light and bumper (he rubbed the headlight with his finger and the scratches started to come off, so I don't think the head light needs to be replaced). Owner of the shop said it would take 5 hours to fix the hood, and buff out the scratches form the light and bumper and about 3 hrs to paint and refinish, total 2 days to get it done and $600. One friend got into an accident 99 Accord and took his car into this shop you can't tell it was in an accident. Another co-worker got his 02 Accord keyed pretty bad from trunk to hood and with indentation (someone really pushed hard to make sure all the paint came off) now you can't even tell were the damage was done. So I know they do a good job.

Tomorrow I'm getting a third quote. If the shop says that I need to replace the hood, then 2 our of 3 wins.

However if I need to replace the hood I'll take it to a shop in Pasadena they do great jobs but the bill will probably be closer to $2000 - $2500. I'll just have to file a claim with my insurance co. I've had them for over 9 yrs this will be the 1st claim. I had a Civic stolen about 3 weeks ago but I had that insured with a different carrier.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:31 PM
toothlessracer

I didn't pick up the surfboards since by the time I pulled over serveral cars had run them over and they were in 1000 pieces.

I'll probably put the car in the shop this Sat or Mon at the latest and hope to have it back by next Friday.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:48 PM
bz8

Default Hood

Becareful with the hood. Some shop may think the hood is repairable but it's not. The Z hood is all aluminum and if damaged it's hard to repair because the hood having a curve and being all aluminum it's hard to tell if other areas of the hood is warped. My friend got the hood on his Z repaired, the first time he thought it looks good but the hood would not shut properly because the hood is warped from being damaged and being repaired. My advise is to really look for a reputable body shop, do some research, visit the shops and ask their customers how the work is. Don't rush it, it's best not to rush and getting the job done properly then having to go through the pains of getting the repair shop to fix an unsatisfied repair. Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:35 PM
jazzfest

Replace it with CF hood.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Wedge

Default Police Report?

This can actually be considered a hit and run accident. Did you file a police report? Sometimes your insurance company requires that one be filed in the event of a claim for this type of thing.

From your posts, it looks like you are footing the bill out of your own pocket. How come?
Old 09-13-2003, 08:37 PM
alphared

well if its only 600, better to foot the bill yourself than claim it. Why risk an increase in insurances cost.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:30 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Only in Cali!

Bummer dude.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:14 PM
toothlessracer

spoke to an agent for the insurance co. (Allstate) they don't require a police report. Looks like this will be covered by the comprehensive portion of the insurance which means no increase to my insurance premiums.
I got 4 quotes so far 1 for about $550 (fix hood and buff out the light and paint) the other 3 are between $1500 - $1700 these guys will replace hood and light and paint hood and bleind fenders and front bumper.
tomorrow morning I'll file the claim and drop off the car later that night or Tuesday night (9/17). Still haven't made up my mind on the shop it's between Seidner's collision center (does a lot of work for car dealers in the area) and Holmes body shop (when i got a quote they were working on several Benz, Lexux and BMWs and I've heard nothing but good things about them.
I'll post more pics of the car before and after, the ones on right now don't really show all the damage that was done.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:16 PM
icepop456

Originally posted by toothlessracer
spoke to an agent for the insurance co. (Allstate) they don't require a police report. Looks like this will be covered by the comprehensive portion of the insurance which means no increase to my insurance premiums.
I got 4 quotes so far 1 for about $550 (fix hood and buff out the light and paint) the other 3 are between $1500 - $1700 these guys will replace hood and light and paint hood and bleind fenders and front bumper.
tomorrow morning I'll file the claim and drop off the car later that night or Tuesday night (9/17). Still haven't made up my mind on the shop it's between Seidner's collision center (does a lot of work for car dealers in the area) and Holmes body shop (when i got a quote they were working on several Benz, Lexux and BMWs and I've heard nothing but good things about them.
I'll post more pics of the car before and after, the ones on right now don't really show all the damage that was done.
Becareful with ALLSATE!! 2 comprehensive claims in a 3 yr period will almost double your rates. If the fix is under $1K and you can afford to pay it, I probably would not file an insurance claim. If you do file a claim and your car is broken into, that'll come out of comprehensive and raise your rates.

My roomate had his Integra broken into twice, each costing about $1100 to repair. His rate just doubled! Granted, we are in NJ and insurance prices suck here.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:11 PM
toothlessracer

Too late I filled a claim this morning but thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind.

Took the car in this evening. the car should be ready by Saturday.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:30 PM
toothlessracer

FINALLY GOT THE CAR BACK!!!!

3-4 days turned in to 2 weeks.

Picked up the car late last night it was kinda hard to see the quality of the job. so far the car looks good. i'll take it out tomorrow and i'll see it in the sunlight hope everything looks perfect.

The hood is new OEM the light however was just buffed but you can't tell where it was scratched.

I'll post pics tomorrow.