Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Slipping Clutch @ 29k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009 | 05:53 AM
spinemittens

Default Slipping Clutch @ 29k miles?

Hey guys,

I did a forum search and google search but really can't find what I'm looking for. I don't have many posts here but I read the forums all the time so thanks for the entertainment and knowledge.

Easter Sunday I took my Z out for a cruise with the g/f. I was cruising at 80 down a road, and wanted to go a little faster. I step on the gas, see my RPM's go up about 200, drop back down, and then the RPM's "catch" and I begin to accelerate. I did it a few more times to confirm this.

The next day, I'm having trouble accelerating. I press on the gas, and it feels like the car is working hard to accelerate. The RPM's at one point stuttered upward while accelerating. It also did the 'RPM jumping' where the RPM's would go up 200-300 and drop back down and then begin to accelerate.

I don't know much about cars and how to diagnose them, but is this a slipping clutch? Also, I only have 29k miles. How can my clutch be going out so early?

Also, I had a problem about a month ago with my clutch. It would "stick" about 90% of the way up, but it would be fully engaged. I would have to unstick it with the tip of my toe. I took it my my mechanic and he adjusted something to where the 90% 'sticking point' became the 100% point.

So do you think my clutch is slipping? I had a Mazda3 with 60k miles and didn't have anything wrong with the clutch, I just think it's weird how the Z is going out at 29k miles. And it's an 05 roadster if that helps.

Spare the flaming.

Rob
Old 04-14-2009 | 06:32 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Time for a new clutch , its gone.
Old 04-14-2009 | 06:33 AM
davidv

29,000 or 129,000 miles. A clutch goes when it goes.

You describe textbook "slipping:"

RPM increases and flywheel rotation increases. But the clutch plate is not holding the flywheel.
Engine RPM drops when the clutch plate "catches" the flywheel.
Old 04-14-2009 | 07:46 AM
freedonutss

did you buy it used? if so the previous owner could of burnt up the clutch. my cousin bought a g35 with 25k miles on it and he burnt up the clutch within 3000 miles. do you rest your foot on the clutch pedal while cruising?
Old 04-14-2009 | 08:04 AM
spinemittens

Originally Posted by freedonutss
did you buy it used? if so the previous owner could of burnt up the clutch. my cousin bought a g35 with 25k miles on it and he burnt up the clutch within 3000 miles. do you rest your foot on the clutch pedal while cruising?
Yeah I got it used.

Nah I don't rest my foot on the pedal. I did in my Mazda till one of my friends called me out on it, but I don't ride the clutch.

What I'm thinking (and hoping) is the mechanic that adjusted the clutch maybe let too much out and it just needs adjusting?

Anyone know of the price range of a new clutch?
Old 04-14-2009 | 08:45 AM
freedonutss

Would you install the clutch yourself? The 350z shops around my area charge around 1400-1600 for a clutch + flywheel + installation. Im not sure about just a clutch.
Old 04-14-2009 | 09:02 AM
Three Fifty Z

When your doing 80mph in 6th gear and you just floor it, I think its normal that your RPMs will jump up maybe by like 100-200 revelations on your tach but the car will be accelerating without any slippage, the jump up in RPMs is barely noticeable unless you pay close attention to the tach. But if you floor it and your RPM is going up but you car is not accelerating at all, then you have a slipping clutch, and its time for a new one. How long your clutch holds up is all about how you drive the car, if you burned your clutch a couple of times, or perhaps it was the car you learned to drive manual on, it will go out faster. A clutch is a wear and tear item, you can kill it in an hour if you want to.

edit: Also on a sports car, a clutch tends to wear out faster than a non-sports car, but like I said its all about how you drive the car, and what kind of abuse the clutch has been subjected to.

Last edited by Three Fifty Z; 04-14-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2009 | 09:22 AM
davidmcc

I bought my Z used with 8300 miles on it and had to replace the clutch around 9200. I would've loved to know who the previous owner was at that time.

There really is no Guaranteed life span on a clutch and it sounds as if yours is crapping out. ...Time to upgrade
Old 04-14-2009 | 11:49 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by spinemittens
Yeah I got it used.

Nah I don't rest my foot on the pedal. I did in my Mazda till one of my friends called me out on it, but I don't ride the clutch.

What I'm thinking (and hoping) is the mechanic that adjusted the clutch maybe let too much out and it just needs adjusting?

Anyone know of the price range of a new clutch?
Clutch recommendations can be found in the drivetrain forum.
Old 04-14-2009 | 02:37 PM
spinemittens

Originally Posted by freedonutss
Would you install the clutch yourself? The 350z shops around my area charge around 1400-1600 for a clutch + flywheel + installation. Im not sure about just a clutch.
I wouldn't install it myself, so I'm looking at a big bill.
Old 04-14-2009 | 02:37 PM
spinemittens

Originally Posted by davidv
Clutch recommendations can be found in the drivetrain forum.
I'll check that out, thanks.