Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rear suspension, hub, wheel? Squeaking & Creeking over speed bumps/driveway

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear suspension, hub, wheel? Squeaking & Creeking over speed bumps/driveway

OK, I am finally so sick of those it is driving me crazy. It has been going on for a few years now, and I need to fix it ASAP.

I did a search but a lot of people talk about the interior of the car making the noise (rear strut, rear panels, window, seals, brake light, etc....). Mine is DEFINITELY coming from the EXTERIOR.

Here is the thing, it creeks and squeaks when:

1. Driving slowly over speed bumps
2. Driving up or backing down driveway
3. Cornering and I am next to a wall to reflect sound and not on the throttle
4. Worse when car is cold and cold out side
5. Slightly less when brakes or E-Brakes is applied
6. Can be reproduced just having it sit in my garage and rocking the car back and forth (it has gotten that bad).
7. Right side is worse than the left, but both are effected

It literally sounds like old creaky wood floors from an old house.

Car: 2003 Touring
Suspension: Back to stock, but I did have some Hotchkis springs on before and it did it with those as well.

I have tried a couple easy fixes, but nothing has really cured the problem. I have tried to tighten some of the easily accessable bolts on the suspension parts and brakes. and I have tried spraying a ton of lube to the whole rear trying to see if it would work.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:44 PM
freedonutss

How many miles are on the stock shocks? My shocks are worn out and they make squeaking noises on bumps. You were also lowered at one point which causes the shocks to wear out faster.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 AM
rodH

Originally Posted by freedonutss
How many miles are on the stock shocks? My shocks are worn out and they make squeaking noises on bumps. You were also lowered at one point which causes the shocks to wear out faster.
Started making noise at about 20k miles, it now has 45k, it isn't the shocks. It was only slightly lowered.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:46 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem, (though it did not seem to sound as loud as your problem), and it turned out to be the exhaust system hangar at the right rear of the car coming out of the rubber strap. Check all of your exhaust system hangars. HTH
Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

ok, maybe u had it as ur last resort, but i'd suggest it.. take it to the stealership to get it checked/fixed..
Old 06-16-2009, 12:41 PM
rodH

Originally Posted by ChinaClipper
I had a similar problem, (though it did not seem to sound as loud as your problem), and it turned out to be the exhaust system hangar at the right rear of the car coming out of the rubber strap. Check all of your exhaust system hangars. HTH
JUst checked, not the exhaust
Old 10-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Diggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never figured it out , having same problem ...?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:22 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A follow-up. A number of fellow Z Club members have had this similar problem, and it is attributable to loose/worn hardware in the sway bar end links. Disconnect and remove your end links completely from the car, and shake the sway bar to make sure it is not loose in the sway bar bushings. In fact, it should be so snug that without the end links attached, the bar will barely move/swing by hand on the car. Temporarily secure sway bar ends with baling wire for test drive without end links. If it is an end link problem, the noisiness/squeaks/rattles should be gone when test driven on the street. Replacing with brand new end links then is advised. If you have aftermarket sway bars, then aftermarket end links such as Whiteline, etc. is advised.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Convexum37

Originally Posted by ChinaClipper
A follow-up. A number of fellow Z Club members have had this similar problem, and it is attributable to loose/worn hardware in the sway bar end links. Disconnect and remove your end links completely from the car, and shake the sway bar to make sure it is not loose in the sway bar bushings. In fact, it should be so snug that without the end links attached, the bar will barely move/swing by hand on the car. Temporarily secure sway bar ends with baling wire for test drive without end links. If it is an end link problem, the noisiness/squeaks/rattles should be gone when test driven on the street. Replacing with brand new end links then is advised. If you have aftermarket sway bars, then aftermarket end links such as Whiteline, etc. is advised.
^ the answer

same thing happened to me last year. Tried everything, replaced rear end-links and the problem disappeared.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Diggles

thanks for the response , I will try that
Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 PM
350zChick13

Default bushings

This kind of sounds like the problem I am having with the front of my car. Everyone has told me control arm bushings. Yours could possibly be the sub frame bushings or the control arm bushings. I would say if you are still having the problem check them out and give it a shot.