Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Slip light

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Qless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Slip light

I have a supercharged 04 touring 350Z. The supercharger is a vortech V2. Lately at crusing speed between 60-65MPH My slip light comes on and there seems to be no power or fuel to power the car when this happens. I thought the trans was slipping. I brought it to AAmco and had diagnostics performed. The trans and supercharger checked out fine. I was told that it is something with the drive by wire communication system. Has anyone had this problem and know a fix for it?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Drumhead666

i have a similar problem. when i start my car in the morning, my slip light, vdc off light, and brake light come on and stay on until i drive a bit and restart the car.i have not found a solution. ill let you know if i get anything to work and maybe our problems are related. good luck
Old 07-24-2009, 07:45 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The slip light normally comes on when the front and rear wheels are spinning at different/unexpected rates.

What size tires do you have on F/R?

Does the light stay on until you turn the car off or is it blinking temporarily?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:12 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you recently get new wheels? New tires?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Qless

Question

I have 19" wheels 8.5" front and 9.5" rears. I've had them for 4 years. The slip light only comes on at cruising speed of 60 to 65 MPH. The car actually stops getting power and slip light blinks until I slow down to about 30 MPH and then the accelerator works again. Car runs fine at lower and higher speeds. Only when I'm cruising does it give those problems.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Qless

Question

One other thing. AAMCO told me I had a P1705 error which is the throttle position sensor. Can that be causing the problem?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:27 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Qless
I have 19" wheels 8.5" front and 9.5" rears. I've had them for 4 years.
Not wheel size, tire size. The OD of the tires is what matters as that affects the rotational speed and that's what the computer sees.

Originally Posted by Qless
One other thing. AAMCO told me I had a P1705 error which is the throttle position sensor. Can that be causing the problem?
Yes, that could be part of the problem too.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:01 PM
stealthz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drumhead666
i have a similar problem. when i start my car in the morning, my slip light, vdc off light, and brake light come on and stay on until i drive a bit and restart the car.i have not found a solution. ill let you know if i get anything to work and maybe our problems are related. good luck
not related... check your brake fluid to see if you getting close to the minimum line? when your fluid is cold and is getting low it'll trip those three lights as a sign to check your brake pads...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Qless

I doubt it the wheels since they've been on the car for four years. I'll put a meter to the TPS and see if there is any unusual jumps. Thanks for your input.

"Q"
Old 07-27-2009, 01:46 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

TPMS wouldn't have anything to do with it. They only measure tire pressure. That don't come into play when dealing with ABS/VDC/TCS. Again, not the wheels, the tires can be an issue. Tires wear down so the OD changes.

If nothing has changed recently on your car (tires, suspension), then you need to start looking at the ECU/computer and wheel speed sensors. Something is flaky. Since you're getting TPS codes, that would be the first place to start.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Qless

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
TPMS wouldn't have anything to do with it. They only measure tire pressure. That don't come into play when dealing with ABS/VDC/TCS. Again, not the wheels, the tires can be an issue. Tires wear down so the OD changes.

If nothing has changed recently on your car (tires, suspension), then you need to start looking at the ECU/computer and wheel speed sensors. Something is flaky. Since you're getting TPS codes, that would be the first place to start.
I'm going to check the wiring of the piggyback for my supercharger thats wired into the ECU
Old 07-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Qless

Also, I was speakinking of the throttle position Sensor when I said TPS not the tire pressure sesor. Sorry for the confusion
Old 08-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Nismokingz33

I recently had the same problem but I only have the vdc and slip light on. I checked my Brake fluid and it's fine. But I checked my rear tires and they are really worn down I have 19 inch rims for about 2yrs and never had this issue before? I've actually have had worn down tires for a long before and never had this problem? Any ideas of what could cause my VDC and SLIP light to stay on???
Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nismokingz33
I recently had the same problem but I only have the vdc and slip light on. I checked my Brake fluid and it's fine. But I checked my rear tires and they are really worn down I have 19 inch rims for about 2yrs and never had this issue before? I've actually have had worn down tires for a long before and never had this problem? Any ideas of what could cause my VDC and SLIP light to stay on???
OK I have the same issue. When I started my car this morning both the TCS and SLIP light are on and stay on. But the car drives and accellerates fine. Whether I am stopped or moving they just stay on.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:37 PM
JAS_z33

I used to have a g35 before my 350z, & on my g35 the tcs, slip and brake light will
Come on on cruisin speed and turn the car off, ill start it back on but it used to take a little until it started( the problem with that was the camshaft position sensor of the passengers side head) g35 & 350z have same engine. & now on my 350z sometimes when i let go of clucth too fast or im eating **** & the motor vibrates since its manual, the same lights come on but after i restart it they go off, after many research, i've found out its the knocking sensors( when they sense knocking they turn on) & the last problems they have with this lights, its that when your on cruising speed the do like a fish hook (it feels like the car turns off but it didt, its like a missfire but its not) & the SLIP light comes on for few seconds until it goes away( i still havent figure it out why it does that.(mayb missfire) i dont know. I've all the problems and found and explanation for two of them exept the SLIP light on for couple seconds on cruising speed. Anybody know?? The manual from my job does not describe or explain anything on the troubleshooting pages. Its not a big problem but ill like to fix it. Anybody know?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Pull the code is the wise thing to do; that will give you a big hint as to the problem.

--Spike