Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How to patch a hole in top of gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 PM
zlibby76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to patch a hole in top of gas tank

I'm looking to get some info on THE BEST way to patch a 5/8 hole in the top of my tank.

I could replace the tank for around $400 INSTALLED, but being that it's such a small AND easily accessible hole, I'm curious what's the best product out there to PATCH holes in gas tanks.

The hole is right under where the glove box is. I took the glove box out and accidentally drilled past the unibody into the gas tank. So it's EASY to get to.

I'd rather spend $20 on a patch kit than $400 on a replacement tank.

Any ideas on what to use?
Old 03-29-2010, 03:25 PM
duro78

try jb weld or theres a patch kit i saw in autozone the other day but idk dude any little spark could ignite and
Old 03-29-2010, 04:08 PM
dirtbikr

jbweld and a nice piece of aluminum will do it. slather it on there like it was no one's business and let it dry properly. you'll never have to deal with it again, i promise.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:36 PM
uglyduc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtbikr
jbweld and a nice piece of aluminum will do it. slather it on there like it was no one's business and let it dry properly. you'll never have to deal with it again, i promise.
I just did this exact patch at the track a few weekends ago.

Here's how to do it.

Reshape the hole to close it off and level it out as best you can. Make sure when you clean the area there is no paint left and you prep/clean it really good with course sand paper.

** get all gas out of the tank if possible, or atleast well away from the patch hole. I wasnt able to remove all the fuel and this still worked **

Cut out an aluminum patch ~ roughly the same thickness and shape it to the hole/tank contours. Shape it so that it'll lay as flush as possible to the tank.

Get the quick dry 5min JB, get it mushed up into the hole and surrounding areas and coat the contact side of the aluminum plate completely. Apply more JB to the area and press the patch into place. Hold in place for a good 4-5 minutes applying firm pressure.

After 5 mins or so, the plate should be stuck to the tank, drill 4 holes, 1 in each corner and rivit the plate securely to the tank. Make sure you use a air drill for this step.

Take the next few minutes to warm up (heat gun or hair dryer) the JB and start the catalyzation, not too hot because it will get soft, just warm enough to get it hardening.

Let the plate cool a bit and apply the first top coat to the patch. Apply JB around the patch, making sure the coat is even and covers well over the patch area. Repeat hair dryer step.

Apply 3-4 coats of JB and let it cure over night.

Apply undercoat in the morning if you want to get tricky.

Fuel up and be happy.

I havent smelled a drop of fuel since this patch.

Last edited by uglyduc; 03-29-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: fuel
Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Patching the tank is a bad move, guys. Think about what could happen if the car is in a serious accident where the tank gets squished. The pressure and/or the flexing of the patched area might allow gasoline to leak onto hot exhaust parts, turning the car into an inferno.

The liability for doing this sort of repair could put you at grave financial risk even after you sell the car.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM
uglyduc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winchman
Patching the tank is a bad move, guys. Think about what could happen if the car is in a serious accident where the tank gets squished. The pressure and/or the flexing of the patched area might allow gasoline to leak onto hot exhaust parts, turning the car into an inferno.

The liability for doing this sort of repair could put you at grave financial risk even after you sell the car.
Said person has a bigger problem then just the patch if this is the case...